Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

8 sentences or less.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

8 sentences or less.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-09, 09:28 PM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No need to apologize, but I'm in my 40's,... too old to cycle all day and have relations,.... don't read into the wink, good Sir.

but yes I do spend most of the day on the bike. That's a change for most roadies.

speaking of, Miss Wolfpack, have you been looking at the equipment threads and making any choices?

I'd love to see you on a Trek 520 with xtracycle.

Do I get a vote with bicycle choice?

Last edited by Airwick; 11-05-09 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 09:42 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because these are interesting questions:
-- what time do you feel comfortable getting up in the morning? 8's ok. 9's better. on a recent solo tour, I didn't get going till 1.
-- how long do you think it will take to get ready to ride?1-1.5 hrs
-- do you like a fairly long lunch break in the middle of the day? Or not?sure do. big breakfast too if possible.
-- would you like to stop and visit tourist attractions along the way? yep Do you prefer to stay in one place a couple nights in order to take in a particular tourist attraction? that takes too much "bike" out of "bike touring" Or are you more interested in riding than seeing the sights?mostly riding
-- are you the type of cycletourist who likes to ride pretty much every day ... your "rest days" might be a 30 mile day instead of the usual 80 mile days?never gone far enough to have rest days, maybe 6 on 1 off sounds good. Or do you like to arrange a pattern of 3 days of riding and 1 day off, or something similar?
-- how many hours of riding would you like to do each day? (or how far could you see yourself riding each day?)6-7 is good
-- what time would you like to arrive at the campsite?before the pub shuts. dark is fine.
-- what are some things you might like to do between arriving at the campsite and going to sleep? pub, dinner. theoretically read, but it hasn't happened yet. Do you need to eat immediately upon arrival at the campsite?I need to eat immediately constantly Do you like to relax at the campsite in the evenings? Do you prefer to seek out some night life in a nearby town? if the local country pub counts as "night life", then yes.
-- what time would you like to go to sleep?when the pub shuts. 11ish maybe.
Old 11-05-09, 09:46 PM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, your answers sound better than mine.

Last edited by Airwick; 11-05-09 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 09:58 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airwick
No need to apologize, but I'm in my 40's,... too old to cycle all day and have relations,.... don't read into the wink, good Sir.

but yes I do spend most of the day on the bike. That's a change for most roadies.

speaking of, Miss Wolfpack, have you been looking at the equipment threads and making any choices?

I'd love to see you on a Trek 520 with xtracycle.

Do I get a vote with bicycle choice
?
i may allow you to have some input, but ultimately, you know i will decide what i get.
Old 11-05-09, 10:06 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Woo-Hoo !!!
Now THAT is the best news I've heard all day.

But I jus' gotta tell you, honey-chile - -
The limit thing has got to go.

This is a perfect time to learn a little crocheting -
Or Tibetan meditation or harmonica playing.
It will come in handy when she is writing.

PS - I know what you mean. In my early days of touring, I would go to the liberry to get a little air conditioning and read the newspaper. But just as often I would head by the park and chat with folks or stop in a cafe. Blogging is great - it's what I am doing right now - but moves the focus from where you are at the present moment.

PPS - Do you know the plural of "chile"?
Old 11-05-09, 10:15 PM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamawani
Woo-Hoo !!!
Now THAT is the best news I've heard all day.

But I jus' gotta tell you, honey-chile - -
The limit thing has got to go.

This is a perfect time to learn a little crocheting -
Or Tibetan meditation or harmonica playing.
It will come in handy when she is writing.

PS - I know what you mean. In my early days of touring, I would go to the liberry to get a little air conditioning and read the newspaper. But just as often I would head by the park and chat with folks or stop in a cafe. Blogging is great - it's what I am doing right now - but moves the focus from where you are at the present moment.

PPS - Do you know the plural of "chile"?
Uncle J,

She was never going to permit me to set "limits",.... it was an academic discussion based on hoping the touring community would be on my side.

but I am right about the blogging,...

I have no idea about the plural of chile, Professor.
Old 11-06-09, 02:51 AM
gamecock

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plural of "chile" is "chilluns."
Old 11-06-09, 04:21 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Marvelous idea, Machka,.... I took your test.

what time do you feel comfortable getting up in the morning? dawn
-- how long do you think it will take to get ready to ride? 15 minutes (breakfast after first 20 miles)
-- do you like a fairly long lunch break in the middle of the day? Or not? most days no
-- would you like to stop and visit tourist attractions along the way? some, shoot for 1 major place per week (this is a long tour)

Do you prefer to stay in one place a couple nights in order to take in a particular tourist attraction? nope Or are you more interested in riding than seeing the sights? riding
-- how many hours of riding would you like to do each day? (or how far could you see yourself riding each day?) We average 85+ miles a day
-- what time would you like to arrive at the campsite? 30 minutes before sunset
-- what are some things you might like to do between arriving at the campsite and going to sleep?
-- what time would you like to go to sleep?soon as head hits the pillow
Lemme see if I got this straight, you get up at dawn, you pretty much ride all day without any long breaks, you don't stop to camp until 30 minutes before sunset...and you do 85+ miles. Summer in the US I'm thinking 16 hours of daylight a day. You must make a lot of shorter stops, or else you average about 5 mph.
Old 11-06-09, 06:07 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Stand your ground, Wolfie...part of the joy of touring is doing things at your own pace and not rushing around trying to keep to some schedule...especially someone else's schedule. So what if you don't get to where you originally wanted to get to, so what if you end up in places you never planned on going, so what if you gotta do a little stealth camping rather than make it to the place you planned on staying for the night. Hold your ground, darlin, show Airwick that we alleged roadies know how to relax and have a good time!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-06-09, 06:30 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Stand your ground, Wolfie...part of the joy of touring is doing things at your own pace and not rushing around trying to keep to some schedule...especially someone else's schedule. So what if you don't get to where you originally wanted to get to, so what if you end up in places you never planned on going, so what if you gotta do a little stealth camping rather than make it to the place you planned on staying for the night. Hold your ground, darlin, show Airwick that we alleged roadies know how to relax and have a good time!
i do know how to do that.

just because i grew up (the last 4-5yrs) as a roadie, doesn't mean diddle-squat. do you know what it's like riding in a paceline of 15-20ppl or in a huge group (40+), following the Cane River in western NC, but you're rolling at 28+mph and have no chance in hell of seeing anything along the route except the butt & legs of the cyclist in front of you??? no way are you going to take your eyes off the person(s) in front of you or even attempt to sit up, no hands on bars, fish around in your jersey pocket for a camera to take pictures - just a recipe for someone getting hurt. been there, done that twice for the Burnsville Metric. it's a beautiful route for the first 45mi, but i have no pictures and i can't tell you anything about that part of the route.

would i like to take it easier and be able to see the scenery? hell yes. but, i've never been given that opportunity because i chose to do these organized rides and they all end up being races. *shrugs shoulders* i think i'm being given an opportunity to see another side to cycling and i'm excited & scared about it all at the same time. i just need to be given a chance to try - who knows, maybe Airwick will convert me.

also, these preconceived notions that Airwick seems to have about me being a roadie and not liking the touring aspect of cycling need to be dispelled. i aim to do this (or at least give it my best shot).
Old 11-06-09, 06:57 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No SCHEDULES! No LIMITS! AT-TI-CA, AT-TI-CA!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-06-09, 07:54 AM
chrisch

Bikes: Trek 520, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's great that she wants to join you! I also understand your concern. Touring with somebody else (or in a group) changes the dynamics of the tour. It's no longer only up to you when and where you will take a break, have lunch, or camp for the evening. It's a compromise, and in a group you're also only as fast as the slowest person.

I wouldn't put limits on what she can do, but express that you don't want to wait on her anymore than she wants to wait on you. Set aside some time each evening where you can do your own thing: She can blog, and you can do whatever you want. There's no perfect solution, but remember this is also her tour.

Heck, if you have an iPhone then check out TrackMyTour. It's a location-based micro-blogging app that I wrote for bike touring. Updates take seconds - which is something my girlfriend appreciated during our tour this summer.

Have a great tour!
Old 11-06-09, 07:56 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Recently, someone special indicated she wanted to join me on the next tour. I was surprised,...It's exciting, but also scary.

One issue that we need to find a compromise on is staying in touch with friends and family. She's already indicated she's looking forward to blogging, or as I call it, journalizing.

It's her decision, but I know her decision will affect our tour. I'm against it, but want to give touring with a partner (or at least her) a fair shake,....

My brilliant idea is to ask her to limit her daily entries to "eight sentences or less."

Can this be a reasonable compromise?
Is the concern that she's going to take too much time, or that you are going to be forced to change the tour in some way so she will have 'material' for her 'audience?'

Old 11-06-09, 08:02 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts

My brilliant idea is to ask her to limit her daily entries to "eight sentences or less."

Can this be a reasonable compromise?
no, seems to me that if you cannot figure out a way to entertain yourself for an hour without riding and without your travel buddy during an entire day of riding you might have a host of other concerns yet to discuss. But maybe this person knows you and you two are enjoying this dialog as a means to approach other topics.

Last edited by LeeG; 11-06-09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 08:06 AM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisch
It's great that she wants to join you! I also understand your concern. Touring with somebody else (or in a group) changes the dynamics of the tour. It's no longer only up to you when and where you will take a break, have lunch, or camp for the evening. It's a compromise, and in a group you're also only as fast as the slowest person.

I wouldn't put limits on what she can do, but express that you don't want to wait on her anymore than she wants to wait on you. Set aside some time each evening where you can do your own thing: She can blog, and you can do whatever you want. There's no perfect solution, but remember this is also her tour.

Heck, if you have an iPhone then check out TrackMyTour. It's a location-based micro-blogging app that I wrote for bike touring. Updates take seconds - which is something my girlfriend appreciated during our tour this summer.

Have a great tour!
This is a beautiful reply,.....
Old 11-06-09, 08:14 AM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
Is the concern that she's going to take too much time, or that you are going to be forced to change the tour in some way so she will have 'material' for her 'audience?'

Blogging is great - it's what I am doing right now - but moves the focus from where you are at the present moment.
Historian, I think jamawani summed my feelings up beautifully. Thus, looking for the compromise. chrisch might have offered it.
Old 11-06-09, 08:22 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisch

Have a great tour!
i have a crackberry....i need an app for that phone or the Hero HTC....
Old 11-06-09, 08:27 AM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a little more low tech,... I was thinking you could carry linen paper and make your own postcards at night.

(please don't disturb the wuddles)

Ah, nothing more beautiful than linen postcards.
Old 11-06-09, 08:28 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
you bring the supplies and i'll see what i can do.
Old 11-06-09, 08:33 AM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfpack
you bring the supplies and i'll see what i can do.
You'll be busy preparing our camp squirrel........
Old 11-06-09, 08:38 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
For this one ...

-- how long do you think it will take to get ready to ride? does this include breaking camp?

I always think that it shouldn't take me any time at all to dash off to the toilet, break camp, and have breakfast. But it always seems to take me a good solid hour or more for some reason. Maybe it is because I'm not a morning person and I move slower in the morning or something.
I agree. I have absolutely how the time goes, but we find it takes us AT LEAST 1.5 hours in the morning to get on the bikes. Granted, the kids don't do anything (just dragging them out of bed is enough!) so it is just John and I, but still... We don't cook for breakfast - just grab a granola bar - so where does all that time go?
Old 11-06-09, 08:40 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . PPS - Do you know the plural of "chile"?
"chilluns"

(If I had read further down the thread before posting the above, I wouldn't have. Posted the above, that is.

Last edited by skiffrun; 11-06-09 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-06-09, 08:43 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Does the fact that I have 4 t-shirts with the phrase "Old Curmudgeon" in big black letters on them have anything to do with why I almost always tour solo?
Old 11-06-09, 08:45 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You'll be busy preparing our camp squirrel........
ummm, keep dreaming?
Old 11-06-09, 08:52 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack
. . .
just because i grew up (the last 4-5yrs) as a roadie, doesn't mean diddle-squat. do you know what it's like riding in a paceline of 15-20ppl or in a huge group (40+), following the Cane River in western NC, but you're rolling at 28+mph and have no chance in hell of seeing anything along the route except the butt & legs of the cyclist in front of you??? no way are you going to take your eyes off the person(s) in front of you or even attempt to sit up, no hands on bars, fish around in your jersey pocket for a camera to take pictures - just a recipe for someone getting hurt. been there, done that twice for the Burnsville Metric. it's a beautiful route for the first 45mi, but i have no pictures and i can't tell you anything about that part of the route.

would i like to take it easier and be able to see the scenery? hell yes. but, i've never been given that opportunity because < you were influenced > to do these organized rides and they all end up being races. *shrugs shoulders* i think i'm being given an opportunity to see another side to cycling and i'm excited & scared about it all at the same time. . . .
Ah, grasshopper, written evidence that you may be seeing the point of that quote in your signature.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.