Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

They're Coming: U.S. Proposes Spending $4 Billion on Self-Driving Cars

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 01:24 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

In extraordinarily odd timing, the Obama administration is lining up support to bring self-driving cars to the road as soon as possible.

The government’s new support includes $4 billion in President Obama’s proposed budget for the next fiscal year, to fund research projects and infrastructure improvements tied to driverless cars. Mr. Foxx said that autonomous vehicles had the potential to reduce traffic accidents and significantly improve safety on America’s roads. He estimated that as many as 25,000 deaths could have been avoided last year if driverless technology had been in widespread use.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/bu...ving-cars.html

Personally, I can hardly wait for the transition to humanless cars to be complete. I guess it has to start first, though.
Old 01-15-16, 02:02 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming? They've been here for a bit now and autonomous features have been options/standard on pricier makes and models for a minute.
Old 01-15-16, 11:03 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Can't get here soon enough IMO.
Old 01-15-16, 01:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Will driverless cars be able to go grocery shopping without me and then swing by and pick up my dry cleaning?
Old 01-15-16, 03:00 PM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Will driverless cars be able to go grocery shopping without me and then swing by and pick up my dry cleaning?
I don't see why not. Grocery stores have curbside pickup now.

i am thinking whether auto the insurance rate will be the same for everybody since no one is driving.
Old 01-15-16, 03:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I wish they would put $4 billion into repairing bridges and highways first.
Old 01-15-16, 03:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by SAGit
I don't see why not. Grocery stores have curbside pickup now.

i am thinking whether auto the insurance rate will be the same for everybody since no one is driving.
Good observations. And shouldn't self-driving cars be much cheaper? No need for seats, HVAC, sound systems, windshield wipers, power windows, cup holders, floor mats, glove compartments, etc., etc., etc.
Old 01-15-16, 03:24 PM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SAGit
I suspect the insurance companies will leave the rates more or less untouched until it becomes the dominant technology, then they'll up the rates for the hold-outs. I would be amazed if any of them go the route of offering discounts.

There will still likely be modifiers based on where your car is parked at night.
Old 01-15-16, 03:43 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Me, too.

I don't know how self driving cars(and all electric/hydrogen/methanol powered) will fix NYC's traffic jams though.
Old 01-15-16, 04:37 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Now here is a logical suggestion.

Spending billions on self driving cars is a stupid waste of money IMO.
Old 01-15-16, 04:47 PM
nivekdodge

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They won't release self driving cars to the public all at once. We will see all the obstacle avoidance systems added to a point where you just can't hit something. Think of this,. you won't be able to rubber neck at an accident. Your car will be hurried past the scene, avoiding all risk. The first car will hit the deer and pull to the side then all the others will come past. N
o one will be able to gridlock an intersection.
Old 01-16-16, 01:17 AM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leicanthrope
I suspect the insurance companies will leave the rates more or less untouched until it becomes the dominant technology, then they'll up the rates for the hold-outs. I would be amazed if any of them go the route of offering discounts.

There will still likely be modifiers based on where your car is parked at night.
The insurance industry is apparently quite concerned with what they expect to be a massive reduction in collisions with self-driving cars. I agree that they will stick it to the hold outs, but those are the people expected to be responsible for most of the collisions, so they should pay.
Old 01-16-16, 01:19 AM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Criminy, the latest road bill just transferred over $70 Billion from the general fund (okay, it was borrowed) to highways, just like the last one. How much subsidy do motorists want? Does it never end?
Old 01-16-16, 05:31 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Criminy.. Does it never end?
Yes, when they properly maintain that which they have built. I'm also for a moratorium on all new lane miles for at least a decade and channel the funds to repair and maintenance only.
Old 01-16-16, 06:31 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Me, too.

I don't know how self driving cars(and all electric/hydrogen/methanol powered) will fix NYC's traffic jams though.
I commute over a bridge that is jammed up every day during rush hour. The majority of days much of the traffic slowdown is due to an accident that blocks one lane. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is raining or a sunny day. The highways are filled with poor drivers.

Filling the highways with autonomously driven vehicles would allow more efficient utilization of the existing roads and minimize traffic jams.
Old 01-16-16, 09:36 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
The insurance industry is apparently quite concerned with what they expect to be a massive reduction in collisions with self-driving cars. I agree that they will stick it to the hold outs, but those are the people expected to be responsible for most of the collisions, so they should pay.
I totally agree. What I was getting at was just that I doubt the insurance companies will reward people by cutting rates. Self-driving cars will become the new baseline, regardless of the decrease in accidents, with people-driven cars paying even more.
Old 01-16-16, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by leicanthrope
I totally agree. What I was getting at was just that I doubt the insurance companies will reward people by cutting rates. Self-driving cars will become the new baseline, regardless of the decrease in accidents, with people-driven cars paying even more.
But won't everybody be getting about in their own personal flying cars which have been touted as the Next Thing for the last umpteen years?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Flying cars.jpg (113.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-16-16, 11:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
In the Seattle area, there is a tunnelling project that has been going on for few years that is already so behind in timeline, and so overpriced, that questions are starting to arise regarding the whole project... and calling it a project "too big to fail."

The tunnel, with a budget of $1.4 billion and originally scheduled to be finished in November 2015, is two years behind schedule.
Two Republican state senators proposed cutting off Bertha’s funding, declaring the project has failed. As part of an interactive exhibit, the Seattle Art Museum asked visitors to imagine what Bertha was thinking. Among the responses: “How in the hole did I get here!!!” and “Another billion dollars, please!”

The Seattle Times editorial board tried to calm the hysteria. Bertha may be a lemon, they wrote, but the “herculean engineering work” to repair her makes it “too soon for a Plan B.” The state and the contractor, united until the bill comes due and the widely expected legal battle over the price tag starts, say they’re not abandoning ship. Bertha has become too big to fail.
Stuck In Seattle | Bloomberg Business - Business, Financial & Economic News, Stock Quotes

The report above is a bit dated... Bertha has been repaired, and has started tunneling again, only to be halted recently as sinkholes formed behind the machine and areas of the tunnel collapsed. Further, the tunnel boring is considered dangerous to an older highway viaduct for highway 99, above the tunnel route.

Perhaps a better solution is to simply kill the project...

Seattle should follow New Urbanist examples, such as Seoul, Milwaukee, and Portland, Ore., that replaced highways with smaller surface streets, public parks, and dedicated lanes for mass transit and biking. Instead of seeing gridlock, those places found car trips declined as people opted for other means of transport or changed their plans and didn’t travel as far. San Francisco’s Embarcadero was an oft-*cited example. Like Seattle’s viaduct, the double-*decker roadway carried more than 100,000 vehicles a day. After the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, San Francisco tore down the heavily damaged elevated road and constructed a boulevard with a streetcar and waterfront promenade. It helped revitalize the South of Market neighborhood, now beloved by tech startups, and trips on mass transit in the area increased 75 percent in a decade, according to a 2007 study.
Somehow this whole thing reminds me of Boston's Big Dig... which ultimately has been considered "worth it," by some... despite the cost overruns, the tunnel failures and even the deaths associated with the project.
Can We Talk Rationally About the Big Dig Yet? - News and reviews - Boston.com

So do we really need more roads? Or just better ways to use the roads we have now?

Last edited by genec; 01-16-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 11:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
+1 There's already good momentum toward driverless cars. It doesn't need government help. OTOH the roads do.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-16-16, 12:28 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It sounds like corporate welfare to me.
Old 01-16-16, 01:20 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1 There's already good momentum toward driverless cars. It doesn't need government help. OTOH the roads do.
Specifically the article mentioned "infrastructure improvements."
Old 01-16-16, 01:50 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Probably not. You would be 'along for the ride'. To take care of what the car is incapable of doing.
Old 01-16-16, 03:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Chris0516
Probably not. You would be 'along for the ride'. To take care of what the car is incapable of doing.
What else does it need to do but drive?
Old 01-16-16, 06:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Still waiting for the news reports of unfortunate passengers of autonomous vehicles being accosted by packs of roving punks who surround the car and stop it dead in it's tracks.

Not kosher.
Old 01-16-16, 08:28 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In extraordinarily odd timing, the Obama administration is lining up support to bring self-driving cars to the road as soon as possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/bu...ving-cars.html

Personally, I can hardly wait for the transition to humanless cars to be complete. I guess it has to start first, though.
Just to repeat the question that almost always comes up with this topic. How will these driverless cars deal with a car with a human driver, pedestrian, cyclist?

How do you retrofit/upgrade a non-driverless car to a driverless car? What about cyclists and pedestrians? Do you install some sort of RFID chip in bicycles? What about pedestrians? Do we implant an RFID chip in their arm? In their shoes, in their clothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.