Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim flat spot

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim flat spot

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 04:42 AM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rim flat spot

Trying to salvage some of the parts that came on my old Bianchi for other projects (flipping).

I spent a few hours on the wheels - the hubs are in decent shape and I was able to get the spoke tension nice and even. The front wheel spins well and runs pretty true. The rear wheel is laterally true and does not hop up and down when I spin it in my hands, but there is a noticeable flat spot of about 3-4mm deep for about 10cm along one section of the rim. The spoke tension on the drive side is even and appropriate. If I work the spoke tension to address the flat spot, the rim starts to hop out of my hands when I spin it. And I still can't get the flat spot all the way out. So I'm guessing this is a damaged rim. My question is whether this is safe to ride (e.g., if the air in the tire will provide enough deflection to "smooth out" the flat spot) or if I need to trash these rims and salvage the hubs and maybe spokes.

Any experiences with old flat spotted rims? Thanks.
Old 11-19-17, 05:36 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure it would be safe to ride, but maybe annoying with a noticeable hump in it. I had an old steel wheel with a permanent flat spot like you're describing on my '75 Peugeot, which had 38c tires on it, so the fatter tire softened a lot of the hump. Sometimes you get a tire that doesn't seat well on a rim or is a bit deformed, and even though the rim is perfectly true, you still end up with a hump in the spin. I'd say to just install the tire, air it up and ride it, and see if the flat spot is less noticeable.
Old 11-19-17, 06:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’d detension or partially unlace the wheel, then have a go at pulling the flat spot out. A 4 mm dip will be felt while riding.
It’s strange that you didn’t run out of thread on those nipples.
Old 11-19-17, 06:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Depending on the rim it might not be possible to get the flat spot out.

When they make rims, they roll the extrusion into a coil. Then they cut the coil and flatten the individual loops. If the manufacturer didn't somehow adjust for the saw kerf, you will always have a flat spot opposite the valve stem hole where that material was removed. You can't adjust that out but I haven't found it to affect the ride-ability of the wheel. If it bothers you (and it definitely grates on me) I think the best solution is to buy a more expensive rim.
Old 11-19-17, 06:45 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Some bike shops may have a tool for pulling out flat spots on rims.
https://www.brx.gr/en/product/rim-repair-tool-pull
Old 11-19-17, 07:01 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Riding on a bike where the spokes have been loosened to reduce a flat spot is a bad idea, as you have seriously weakened the wheel. Unless the flat spot is physically pulled or pushed out you will not be able to have a stable wheel that is also reasonably round.
Old 11-19-17, 10:17 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
AnoHer problem is that you will not be able to adjust the brake properly with a dent that deep. (Assuming rim brakes.) If the brake pads are adjusted for the main part of the rim, they will rub won the tire at the dip, which will wear it rapidly and eventually blow it out.

I have never been able to successfully pull out a 4mm dent in a wheel just by fiddling with the spokes, for what it is worth.
Old 11-19-17, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Working Blind, I cannot say "Is it Safe?" No Opnion there..

In the shop on cheap kids bikes with steel rims an application of Newtonian Physics was used..

flat spot from impact to the outside, was reversed by a slightly greater force applied to the inside out of the rim,

Slamming the wheel down over a protruding wooden beam end.. after loosening the spokes in that sector..

Old 11-19-17, 12:04 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I have never been able to successfully pull out a 4mm dent in a wheel just by fiddling with the spokes, for what it is worth.
In the case of a very minor flatter area it's possible to redistribute tension enough to increase roundness, but of course one can't pull out a flat spot with spokes.
Old 11-19-17, 12:10 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
In the case of a very minor flatter area it's possible to redistribute tension enough to increase roundness, but of course one can't pull out a flat spot with spokes.
Yes. I’ve been able to get a wheel true by retensioning when it’s a couple mm out of true, but 4 mm needs something else to push the flat spot out.
Old 11-19-17, 01:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"If I work the spoke tension to address the flat spot, the rim starts to hop out of my hands when I spin it."

Bull Crap.

and not one of the responders asked the OP what type of rim the OP is working on....
As in: aluminum or steel? single wall or double wall? Worn or fairly decent condition?

Last edited by maddog34; 11-19-17 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-19-17, 03:41 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34

Bull Crap.

and not one of the responders asked the OP what type of rim the OP is working on....
Having a bad day? Probably would have been more beneficial to just ask the OP this question yourself.
Old 11-20-17, 06:43 AM
sanmi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The rims are 1989 Araya 20A aluminum double walled box sections.

As I mentioned in my original post, I am hoping to salvage these wells for a future flip project. They came to me pretty beat up. I'm hoping to make them safely rideable, but if that is not possible I will just salvage the hubs for some other project. It's not really a big deal if the rims are dead. I'm just wondering what folks' experience has been with this kind of rim damage.

Right now, the wheels are evenly tensioned and spin well, but there is a noticeable flat spot across from the valve hole. I guess I'll start by mounting some tires and see if I notice it on a cautious ride around the block. Unfortunately these are pretty narrow rims so the widest tire I'll be able to run is likely 25c.
Old 11-20-17, 09:55 AM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd still suggest checking your local bike shops for one that has the type of rim tool mentioned in post #5 and let them have a try at removing the flat spot. And you shouldn't have any trouble using tires wider than 25mm (not 'c') on Araya 20A rims as long as you have enough clearance on the frame and brakes.
Old 11-20-17, 10:05 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by sanmi

As I mentioned in my original post, I am hoping to salvage these wells for a future flip project. They came to me pretty beat up. I'm hoping to make them safely rideable, but if that is not possible I will just salvage the hubs for some other project. It's not really a big deal if the rims are dead. I'm just wondering what folks' experience has been with this kind of rim damage.

Right now, the wheels are evenly tensioned and spin well, but there is a noticeable flat spot across from the valve hole. I guess I'll start by mounting some tires and see if I notice it on a cautious ride around the block. Unfortunately these are pretty narrow rims so the widest tire I'll be able to run is likely 25c.
Those are great rims, and well worth trying to keep in service! The inner width is 14mm, and I've had no trouble with tires up to ~30mm. Currently using 700x28C Paselas that measure their full 28mm.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-20-17, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Nobody measures anything here! how many MM out of round is the flat spot?

Old 11-20-17, 01:07 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Nobody measures anything here! how many MM out of round is the flat spot?
About 3 to 4 mm according to the initial post.
Old 11-20-17, 01:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

its not that much.
Old 11-22-17, 01:19 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You might find this useful: how to fix a damaged rim yourself:
Old 11-22-17, 02:02 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
... I'm just wondering what folks' experience has been with this kind of rim damage.
I regularly rig up cradles and c-clamps and pull out flat spots. It will usually work out fine.
... there is a noticeable flat spot across from the valve hole.
That might put a stop to any shaping attempts.
Straight across from the valve hole is where you’ll usually find the seam in the rim.
If that one isn’t round(enough) from the start, it’s really difficult to fix later.
And if it’s a pinned seam, it’s likely to come apart if you try to get creative with the shaping.
Old 11-22-17, 02:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I regularly rig up cradles and c-clamps and pull out flat spots. It will usually work out fine.

That might put a stop to any shaping attempts.
Straight across from the valve hole is where you’ll usually find the seam in the rim.
If that one isn’t round(enough) from the start, it’s really difficult to fix later.
And if it’s a pinned seam, it’s likely to come apart if you try to get creative with the shaping.
...this, and I also have one of these:

But to start with a box section alloy rim is a lot more difficult to reshape (the advantage being it's harder to deform in the first place.) And the seam on the rim is, indeed, gonna be about where you're doing your reshaping.

Were I you, I'd probably first try loosening the spokes along the arc you want to move outward (the flat spot) in a manner that is even on both sides (same number of turns). Start with maybe a turn and a half or two turns.

^^^the flat spot is centered at 6 on the clock^^^

Then tension the spokes tighter at 4 and 8 (again, evenly on both sides, so the rim stays centered.) that will move it outward some, usually in a nice curve. But if you want to detension the whole section and rig some sort of puller or cradle, it needs to work like the commercial tool pictured for success.
Old 11-23-17, 11:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by curbowman
You might find this useful: how to fix a damaged rim yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGWgSKAjw0&t=65s
That was cool. Thanks for sharing it.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-19, 07:33 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Gravedigging here.
I have a similar issues with a Saturae HC20 with a flat spot in it. I have 2 bike shops in my town. One said they dont have that tool anymore and the other told me they can't bend back aluminum.
looking for more DIY ideas.
I was thinking a wood jig on a vice or maybe even making that rim stick thing in the video. I dunno. Just want matching orig wheels.
Unless someone has another HC20, repair is my only option

Last edited by norcalmike; 12-07-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 05:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by norcalmike
Gravedigging here.
I have a similar issues with a Saturae HC20 with a flat spot in it. I have 2 bike shops in my town. One said they dont have that tool anymore and the other told me they can't bend back aluminum.
looking for more DIY ideas.
I was thinking a wood jig on a vice or maybe even making that rim stick thing in the video. I dunno. Just want matching orig wheels.
Unless someone has another HC20, repair is my only option
I don't have pictures, but one thing I've done is to clamp two shallow wood blocks to my bench, undo the 4 spokes around a flat spot, then place the rim on those two blocks and use a larger clamp between a thin block on top of the flat spot and the underside of the bench to press out the flat spot. It's not the most precise method, but it can reverse a lot of the bend. Just check your work often so you don't overdo it.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-19, 05:48 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I don't have pictures, but one thing I've done is to clamp two shallow wood blocks to my bench, undo the 4 spokes around a flat spot, then place the rim on those two blocks and use a larger clamp between a thin block on top of the flat spot and the underside of the bench to press out the flat spot. It's not the most precise method, but it can reverse a lot of the bend. Just check your work often so you don't overdo it.
sounds similar to this method I found. I don't need much. A little flex should do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.