Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Perhaps vintage is not the best choice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Perhaps vintage is not the best choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21, 06:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Want to see the BRC headtube failure? I don't have pictures of the GT Timberline with the snapped dropout. Tossed it years ago.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...600aabc6be.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27d1f245f8.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1141a375d8.jpg
Old 10-16-21, 07:16 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
My son snapped the chain stay of his late 80's Fisher steel MTB urban commuter this year. I was kind of surprised, but so what, get another one for $50-100 and you're good for another 5 or 10 years. I have started stocking up on old MTB frames.
Old 10-17-21, 08:25 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So that would probably put you squarely in my hypothetical %1, you and the OP would seem to be members of a pretty exclusive club.
Do you have data or are you just talking?

Frames break. You are wrong.
Old 10-17-21, 08:26 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by repechage
They are just charter members of the destructive testing club.

There was one customer of the bike shop who could break anything, 280#, never lifted his weight off the saddle, under-inflated tires, dented lots of rims too.
Today, he would be best on a fat tire bike.
No. Just ride a lot more than most people and in all manner of weather.
Old 10-17-21, 08:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
from the appearance though, put away wet
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-17-21, 08:52 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by repechage
from the appearance though, put away wet
Ok. You win.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-17-21, 09:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Just shift your perspective from “Classic & Vintage” to “Old & Economical” and find another one.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-17-21, 10:35 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
"a lot more than most people",
Old 10-17-21, 10:38 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Old 10-17-21, 11:35 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hard to say which side failed first. You can pull the joints apart and when repositioned they "click" back into place. Which means maybe welding without having to worry about alignment is possible. Nevertheless, I have to hustle and procure a replacement.

Old 10-17-21, 11:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
It happens. Just get it fixed, dude.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-17-21, 12:35 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hard to say which side failed first. You can pull the joints apart and when repositioned they "click" back into place. Which means maybe welding without having to worry about alignment is possible. Nevertheless, I have to hustle and procure a replacement.

The drive side shows a similar failure to what some Treks have had.
The rust and thin bright spot shows how little was doing the job for quite some time.
Once one side went, take your pick which, the other was overpowered.
Black paint does not help. rust indicates it stayed wet for a while, repeatedly.
That thin cast stay top eye with the stress risers from the cast in text did not help.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-17-21, 02:33 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
FWIW, the rusty, broken stay end broke first. It has had time to corrode. The broken braze joint is fresh (unoxidized, new).
Old 10-18-21, 08:04 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

@repe & BL,

I'd say that is a reasoned assessment. One can see how this part of the frame could act as a "nook" for moisture to congregate over time. This failure was set in motion long before I got the frame. For considering future frames with similar stay attachments, I'm going to have a closer inspection there with a magnifying glass.

Should I take a wire brush and remove the rust between the two halves before welding it? I'd like to try and remove as little material as possible for best alignment and brushing might get it to bare metal without filing. The paint will be stripped from the surrounding area.
Old 10-18-21, 08:36 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
My guess is a good metal brushing will get most of it and not remove too much material.
Old 10-19-21, 07:40 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I had a bicycle that I was riding one night and thought that I had got a flat in the rear wheel as the bike suddenly felt squirmy. I got off the bike and felt the rear tire and it was hard. SO I figured maybe loose hub cones or broken axle. I pulled on the wheel. Wheel felt fine but moved a bit. Shone my headlight on the frame and saw this. Both seatstays had torn off the seattube. Sometimes bike frames just wear out.

Cheers
A similar scenario happened on a 1985 or 86 Schwinn Cimarron while riding it.

I thought it was a flat a first.

That bike had a lot of use before I bought it.
Old 10-19-21, 08:52 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Doesn't matter what the material it can be designed strong or it can be designed light. The first bike I ever bought myself new when I was in work was a Raleigh Royal. I wanted the lightweight model with butted tubes which I think was close to £200 at the time back in the 80s but I was also 16 stone. The shop was completely honest they said I was likely too heavy for the bike and the frame may fail early and the lighter wheels may not cope as well. They had a model called the Raleigh Royal Export it had more basic high tensile steel tubing, higher spoke wheels and much thicker tyres and no butting on the frame and was £130. I took their recommendation and went with the considerably cheaper bike.

Nowadays if feels much more confusing as the bike market has become much more dishonest it seems. Many people pretend lightweight parts and frames can be as strong or long lasting but that is rarely true. Tube butting is a way of losing weight on a frame but it won't be as strong as straight gauge and over time will likely suffer fatigue more and fail earlier. If you have a steel frame then butted tubes where they are thin will be much more vulnerable to corrosion and failure.

I remember reading about fuji-ta's basic steel frames. Fuji-ta are the largest bike manufacturer in the world by volume. They make low cost steel frames which a few years ago were only about $4-5 they are robot welded and phosphate dipped and despite selling in huge numbers they pretty much have no failures according to them. Less than 0.1% which compares very favourably to their other frame materials. I'm sure they aren't as cheap now as Chinese manufacturing is more expensive now and general inflation. They are using more advanced steel for some frames (not chromoly). I think something like 1040 so close to chromoly in strength but significantly cheaper or were back then. Such 1040 frames had huge take up in China but were not as popular for export in many markets where aluminium was preferred and this seemed to surprise them.

Steel frames are still the workhorses of the world across South America, Asia, Africa etc. People buy them and get decades out of them despite getting a huge amount of abuse. Those frames aren't really focused on being lightweight though just strong. This is the type of bike Giant makes for Africa. I've noticed many people compare steel bikes on forums as if they are all the same. Some older chromoly steel mountain bike frames with butted tubes were relatively weak compared to straight gauge high tensile steel frames because they were designed to be light and would suffer from fatigue fairly quickly so had an expected finite lifespan. Chromoly tubes typically corrode just as fast as high tensile and are often thinner even in the areas not butted to be thinner. I'm just making the point realistically you would expect a lightweight chromoly butted frame to have a finite life and fail before a typical high tensile steel frame. If both frames suffered from corrosion and were stored in the same shed unless one had better corrosion protection than the other you would expect the chromoly frame to be unsafe sooner probably by a factor of years possibly decades.

https://www.fuji-ta.com/hi-ten-steel...nd-alloy-frame

https://valvejob.wordpress.com/2020/...-frame-tubing/
Likes For Bonzo Banana:
Old 10-19-21, 10:24 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
This is why I am constantly meticulously inspecting my bikes before riding them as a general habit.
Old 10-19-21, 10:34 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
@repe & BL,

I'd say that is a reasoned assessment. One can see how this part of the frame could act as a "nook" for moisture to congregate over time. This failure was set in motion long before I got the frame. For considering future frames with similar stay attachments, I'm going to have a closer inspection there with a magnifying glass.

Should I take a wire brush and remove the rust between the two halves before welding it? I'd like to try and remove as little material as possible for best alignment and brushing might get it to bare metal without filing. The paint will be stripped from the surrounding area.
There are rust removal solutions that can be purchased ready to go (home despot, or other places) or oxcalic acid solution, aka wood bleach, that will get you most of the way there, most take a day to work, a bit temperature dependent.
There is a complete thread on oxalic acid.
But to answer directly, CLEAN makes strong. Wire brush after would not hurt. TIG welding or "brass" brazing. most likely a reaming or file work on the inside of the tube.
a wheel or dummy axle in the rear dropouts would be smart too.
Old 10-19-21, 10:39 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
90s RockHopper

I had to retire this one.
A friend gifted me a near identical replacement framset ….without the cracks…. Of course.
Used for commuting. Camping. Touring. General abuse.
These things happen. I guess.

Last edited by mrv; 10-19-21 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 11:42 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
A similar scenario happened on a 1985 or 86 Schwinn Cimarron while riding it.

I thought it was a flat a first.

That bike had a lot of use before I bought it.
I was told by the owner of a well known bicycle shop in Madison, Wisconsin that such a failure was fairly common with that era of MTB.

Cheers
Old 10-25-21, 07:42 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I was told by the owner of a well known bicycle shop in Madison, Wisconsin that such a failure was fairly common with that era of MTB.

Cheers
Hmmm, that's interesting.
Old 10-25-21, 07:43 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Here are some photos of the bike when it was operational. I configure all my main rides like this. I'll be stripping down the Elkhorn soon and probably squirrelling it away to practice brazing on in the future or giving the frame away to the local granola LBS. Probably the latter.
Old 10-25-21, 07:43 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by mrv
I had to retire this one.
A friend gifted me a near identical replacement framset ….without the cracks…. Of course.
Used for commuting. Camping. Touring. General abuse.
These things happen. I guess.

Yeeouch! That's a steel frame which fractured that way?
Old 10-25-21, 08:09 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

While we're talking about checking things over, I'd make sure there isn't a crack starting on the spider of that crank.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-25-21 at 10:05 AM. Reason: edited image to add circle and to resize a bit smaller
Likes For ThermionicScott:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.