Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Lankeleisi frame failure - seriously dangerous

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Lankeleisi frame failure - seriously dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 01:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
As I said before you're entitled to your opinions, but without specific details of the frame failure and how it occurred, your opinion is based on speculation.
Right.
The OP seemed to indicate the final separation occurred while he was "Just Riding Along (JRA)".

However, we don't know a lot of history about how the bike was ridden.

Still, we've found two videos of different bikes that apparently ruptured in the first year of service.

A fat tire full suspension MTB should be designed to take a fair amount of abuse. Certainly not babied along like my road bikes.

The design at the pivot appears to be under supported.

The only activity that I would specifically exclude from "normal" would be certain car/bike crashes, and jumping several feet high and landing on a flat surface.
Old 03-18-22, 12:06 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
It's always important to factor in how a frame fatigues, it gets weaker with time and the point where it had a high level of fatigue may not be the time it breaks that could be weeks, months or even years later. As you can see the aluminium frame starts off much stronger and at the end of life only has about a third of the strength to deal with the stresses of use. They are designed to last about 7-10 years of normal use up to the load rating they have stated typically. Some aluminium self-hardens even when not used so becomes more brittle just with time.

Likes For Bonzo Banana:
Old 03-18-22, 08:23 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Yikes. Two bikes? Recall them all.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-19-22, 09:04 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Clearly you care if you had to reply.
As I said before you're entitled to your opinions, but without specific details of the frame failure and how it occurred, your opinion is based on speculation.
Regardless of what I want, opinions based on speculation, not facts or details, are simply invalid.
OP has not provide any more specifics about the frame failure, to me, he could have hit a giant pothole or jumping off cliffs prior to frame failure.
Maybe the frame is poorly designed to begin with, but usage over 7 months as OP did could cause significant frame stress.
You're speaking from ignorance since you can't even recognize substandard components or inadequate design. There are at least two instances of the problem. How many do you need? Considering these bikes resemble what you ride, it's not surprising that you extol them. Keep riding crap and I'll just ignore you.

Last edited by 2old; 03-19-22 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 10:35 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
You're speaking from ignorance since you can't even recognize substandard components or inadequate design.
Any design has a point of failure.
Without specific conditions of failure given by the OP, you're ignoring crucial evidence required to determine how the failure occurred.

There are at least two instances of the problem. How many do you need? Considering these bikes resemble what you ride, it's not surprising that you extol them.
Do you know the specifics of cause for the two frame failures? How many months were both bikes used under what conditions?
What evidence do you have that this frame design resemble what I ride? can you provide them? or just assuming & speculating that from my previous posts months (or years) ago?

Keep riding crap and I'll just ignore you.
Clearly you can't resist posting replies, since you keep posting claims that you can provide zero evidence to support.
To call the bikes I ride crap without knowing exactly what I ride is just rude. Have I ever called your bikes crap?
Besides, this thread is not about what I ride, stop deflecting from topic of thread and assume things about me that you have zero clue of.

Last edited by cat0020; 03-19-22 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-19-22, 11:51 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Yikes. Two bikes? Recall them all.
Hopefully Korea has something like our Consumer Products Safety Group.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-28-22, 10:00 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
If this were a US major, CPSC would force a recall. Trek recalled a whole years worth of bikes because a loose front skewer lever could get caught up in the disk rotor. LOL. If they weren't forced to use lawer lip washers, the wheel would have have fallen out and that would never happen. I think Trek either put on a new skewer with a shorter lever, or they flipped it to the other side.

Now that I see the pictures, look like the center tube was just too weak. Snapped off an inch or more below the weld.

There's really too many chinese ebikes coming in with frames that are copies of copies, with no engineering. I've seen a couple of other folder frames that snapped and the importer discontinued that model. Another major importer had a half dozen threaded steerer tubes snapping off.
Old 03-28-22, 10:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
If this were a US major, CPSC would force a recall. Trek recalled a whole years worth of bikes because a loose front skewer lever could get caught up in the disk rotor.
A skewer is a mighty cheap and simple fix.

In this case, the frames would have to be either replaced or gusseted, likely putting the company well into the red if they were to do it. If the frame could be disassembled, it would be replacing the mid section behind the hinge and in front of the rear swing arm.

@JonnyS is apparently from Busan South Korea. So, undoubtedly different regulations than here in the USA, and even more complicated if the bike was mail order from China.

I was thinking about offering to purchase some of the E-Bike components for a project, but it is quite far away.
Old 03-28-22, 10:15 PM
JonnyS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A skewer is a mighty cheap and simple fix.

In this case, the frames would have to be either replaced or gusseted, likely putting the company well into the red if they were to do it. If the frame could be disassembled, it would be replacing the mid section behind the hinge and in front of the rear swing arm.

@JonnyS is apparently from Busan South Korea. So, undoubtedly different regulations than here in the USA, and even more complicated if the bike was mail order from China.

I was thinking about offering to purchase some of the E-Bike components for a project, but it is quite far away.
Consumer protection law is very good out here luckily. I read up on it and then explained to the importer that i would be suing him in court of 'a defect of warning'. This seemed to wake him up and hes now offering a full refund and collection. Lesson learnt about buying wacky shaped fat bikes!

What doesnt kill you makes you wiser and all that 🤣
Likes For JonnyS:
Old 03-28-22, 10:55 PM
2old

Bad design, bad construction, good refund. Glad you're at least being reimbursed.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-28-22, 10:59 PM
JonnyS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Bad design, bad construction, good refund. Glad you're at least being reimbursed.
You left out bad purchasing decision! But yes happy to get a refund and warn others who might own the same faulty bike
Likes For JonnyS: