Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Re-spray Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 01:30 AM
RainbowJammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re-spray Advice

I have recently started a single speed project bike from a 1975 Carlton Road bike. The paint was in bad shape, so I sanded back to the bare metal, primed (2 coats) and colour coated (2 coats) the frame. It is looking good with one exception. In a few places I clearly did not lay down enough colour coat, this I noticed 24 hours after the event when the paint was dry.

What advice would anyone give on my next step, I think my choices are (but I have never done this before...
  1. Just lay down a few more coats
  2. Wet sand to flatten the existing coats and then spray more colour coats
Many thanks for anyones help..
Old 05-28-20, 07:42 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
If you go to the Classic & Vintage forum, you will find tons of threads where folks have offered details and examples of resprays. There are, as you've found, a lot of details to it. The thing about spray paint is it is very unforgiving. It merely reflects what is there, so if there are any defects, expect them to show through.

Since you already have some topcoat on it, I think the thing to do is to sand down the parts you're not happy with and make sure that it is as smooth and consistent as possible. Clean the frame after sanding to eliminate any debris from the sanding as well as oils from your hands, etc.
Then respray. I've had better luck with multiple light coats, but you may have better luck.

If you can, let the paint cure in a heated environment. You didn't say what paint you used and whether it had a catalyst or not, but in most cases, paints benefit from some heat.
Old 05-28-20, 09:14 AM
RainbowJammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey TugaDude , Thanks for the help, will check out that forum as I am sure more things will crop up. I have gone for a wet sand with 1000 grit to flatten the paint out and applying a few more coats of the gloss. The pain was rattle can car paint from Halfords (UK Car Maintenance Chain). I sanded back the frame to metal and got a really smooth clean frame, then primed two coats and did all the panel wiping etc in-between.

So hoping for a really good finish, for my first go.

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards
Old 05-30-20, 04:31 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd let the paint cure fully (read the can to see how long that is) and then lightly sand it, wipe it well with a tack cloth to remove any dust, and then spray on another coat.

Cheers