Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Where would you cut weight on your bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 07:23 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I have a 2017 Raleight Tamland 1. The changes I've made to it have been adding a redshift sports shockstop stem, a shimano 105 crankset (as I had a left-arm stages PM for the 105), and recently upgraded the wheels which are much lighter than the stock wheels. The wheels obviously made the largest weight savings. At this point, without spending a bunch of money I don't see how I could reduce the weight that much any more. I could upgrade the groupset, add carbon fiber handlebars, and swap out the pedals for eggbeaters. all that would save me a bit. The groupset upgrade is probably more than I want to spend. anything I'm missing? I like the bike. it's a bit heavy but it's a nice ride.
Old 10-22-19, 07:47 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would guess that the frame is not light. Maybe look at cranks.
Old 10-22-19, 07:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The easiest and cheapest method is to just not worry about it. You could spend a couple hundred bucks to drop a pound off the bike, and honestly never notice a difference. In my experience, a bike doesn't start to get unwieldy until it's north of 30lbs.

Weight weenies are usually okay with $1 per gram of reduction, and as someone who once upon a time worried about bike weight, you usually end up lightening your wallet more than the actual bike.

Not to sound like a typical N+1 guy, but If you want a lighter bike, buy a lighter bike. I have two bikes that are ~7lbs apart. The lighter one is a little easier to ride faster. But I ride the heavy one more often-- almost twice as often. Weight isn't everything.
Old 10-22-19, 08:09 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I went weight weenie on a Tamland (like I weighed EVERY single piece). It was fine but it's just not a lightweight bike, and never will be.
Old 10-22-19, 08:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
- That Redshift stem would be an easy place to cut weight. A 100mm Redshift weighs 274g and costs $150, while an Uno7 UL stem costs $26 and weighs 108g. It doesnt have that elastomer suspension/absorbtion tech though. Anyways, thats where you could drop almost 6oz.

- Tires are another place where noticeable weight can be cut. There is a wide range of weight for similar sized/style gravel tires, and the lighter dont necessarily offer less realized protection. Popular tires vary in weight, even in comparable size. Conti Terra Speed 40mm is 420g, WTB Resolute 42mm is 460g, Vittoria Terrero Dry 40mm is 490g, Panaracer GravelKink SK 43mm is 497g, and Donnelly MSO 40mm is 532g. These are 5 popular quality gravel tires that are all tubeless ready and vary in weight by 110g.
Going from MSOs to Resolutes will save a combined 5oz and give you tires that are about 3mm wider. And they cost half as much as the MSO tires.

- A full carbon fork would drop some weight since the stock fork has an aluminum steerer. Not cheap though.

As for where I would cut weight on my bike- I just built a new one a couple months ago, so I dont think I would really cut weight anywhere since what I chose was what I wanted within the cost I wanted. Most was reused from my old gravel bike.
- I could cut 100g if i bought a new crank(currently a Shimano CX50 with 46/34 rings), but I dont want to spend the money. Though if I got a smaller crank ratio like 46/30, that would weigh less and I could get a slightly smaller cassette which would drop a few grams too. But thats chasing grams for too much $ for me.
- My frame is where obvious weight could be cut, but I would need a different frame entirely and dont want that. The current one is 853 main tubes and shaped 4130 stays. It isnt the lightest, but its really well finished and half brazed which I like. So the biggest place to drop weight is a place I am not interested in dropping weight.
- My saddle is a Brooks C17 and that is anything but lightweight. No interest in changing there either since comfort is more important than weight for a saddle to me. If I ever find an alternative saddle that feels the same over 50mi of gravel and either weighs or costs less, I will for sure buy it.

My two examples on where to cut weight on your bike would save 11oz and also save you $185. It isnt often that you can save weight AND money! Slap on 3mm wider tires, run em at 5psi lower pressure, and there is the increased comfort to offset the lack of elastomer stem.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-22-19 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-22-19, 08:31 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Gotta agree with Isotope.

just for education, here is how to get your bike down to 17.4lbs.
(Spoiler - He started with your frame, but in carbon).
https://gravelcyclist.com/training-r...n-gravel-bike/
Old 10-22-19, 08:33 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Often you can save upwards of a pound on rotating weight by upgrading your wheels and tires without spending a fortune. Can't speak for anyone else, but I REALLY notice reduced rotating weight. And a pound off the wheels and tires is huge!
Old 10-22-19, 09:07 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by biketampa
I recently upgraded the wheels which are much lighter than the stock wheels. The wheels obviously made the largest weight savings.
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Often you can save upwards of a pound on rotating weight by upgrading your wheels and tires without spending a fortune.
He already did that.
Old 10-22-19, 09:15 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I would look to cut weight directly above the saddle - unless that part is already anorexic or malnourished.
Likes For Rje58:
Old 10-22-19, 10:02 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by Rje58
I would look to cut weight directly above the saddle - unless that part is already anorexic or malnourished.
ha! true. I'm sure by fast guy cycling standards I could lose a few lbs. I'm 6' 2" just a bit under 170lbs which is sort of where I'm comfortable.
Old 10-22-19, 10:04 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by shoota
I went weight weenie on a Tamland (like I weighed EVERY single piece). It was fine but it's just not a lightweight bike, and never will be.
definitely agree. it is what it is. can try to cut elsewhere but that frame itself is obviously not light
Old 10-22-19, 10:06 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- That Redshift stem would be an easy place to cut weight. A 100mm Redshift weighs 274g and costs $150, while an Uno7 UL stem costs $26 and weighs 108g. It doesnt have that elastomer suspension/absorbtion tech though. Anyways, thats where you could drop almost 6oz.

- Tires are another place where noticeable weight can be cut. There is a wide range of weight for similar sized/style gravel tires, and the lighter dont necessarily offer less realized protection. Popular tires vary in weight, even in comparable size. Conti Terra Speed 40mm is 420g, WTB Resolute 42mm is 460g, Vittoria Terrero Dry 40mm is 490g, Panaracer GravelKink SK 43mm is 497g, and Donnelly MSO 40mm is 532g. These are 5 popular quality gravel tires that are all tubeless ready and vary in weight by 110g.
Going from MSOs to Resolutes will save a combined 5oz and give you tires that are about 3mm wider. And they cost half as much as the MSO tires.

- A full carbon fork would drop some weight since the stock fork has an aluminum steerer. Not cheap though.

As for where I would cut weight on my bike- I just built a new one a couple months ago, so I dont think I would really cut weight anywhere since what I chose was what I wanted within the cost I wanted. Most was reused from my old gravel bike.
- I could cut 100g if i bought a new crank(currently a Shimano CX50 with 46/34 rings), but I dont want to spend the money. Though if I got a smaller crank ratio like 46/30, that would weigh less and I could get a slightly smaller cassette which would drop a few grams too. But thats chasing grams for too much $ for me.
- My frame is where obvious weight could be cut, but I would need a different frame entirely and dont want that. The current one is 853 main tubes and shaped 4130 stays. It isnt the lightest, but its really well finished and half brazed which I like. So the biggest place to drop weight is a place I am not interested in dropping weight.
- My saddle is a Brooks C17 and that is anything but lightweight. No interest in changing there either since comfort is more important than weight for a saddle to me. If I ever find an alternative saddle that feels the same over 50mi of gravel and either weighs or costs less, I will for sure buy it.

My two examples on where to cut weight on your bike would save 11oz and also save you $185. It isnt often that you can save weight AND money! Slap on 3mm wider tires, run em at 5psi lower pressure, and there is the increased comfort to offset the lack of elastomer stem.
thanks. that is helpful. I hadn't thought of some of those things.
Old 10-22-19, 10:41 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I would buy a different bike, before upgrading the components on that one!
Old 10-22-19, 12:04 PM
rando_couche

ha! true. I'm sure by fast guy cycling standards I could lose a few lbs. I'm 6' 2" just a bit under 170lbs which is sort of where I'm comfortable.
I hate you. I'm 1" taller and 30lb heavier, and seem to be stuck there.
Old 10-22-19, 12:21 PM
rando_couche

Originally Posted by shoota
He already did that.
D'oh! That's what I get for reading BF when I'm supposed to be working!
Old 10-22-19, 12:24 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by rando_couche
I hate you. I'm 1" taller and 30lb heavier, and seem to be stuck there.
lol I've heard that before. Honestly a large part of it is genetics for me. don't get me wrong. I work to stay at this weight but even if I didn't do triathlons and bike a lot it would take me longer than most to gain that weight back. but in the endurance sport world there are a lot of people our height that are much lighter than I am.
Old 10-22-19, 12:30 PM
Metieval

lol I've heard that before. Honestly a large part of it is genetics for me. don't get me wrong. I work to stay at this weight but even if I didn't do triathlons and bike a lot it would take me longer than most to gain that weight back. but in the endurance sport world there are a lot of people our height that are much lighter than I am.
get a lighter bike, you won't work as hard and then you'll gain weight.
Old 10-22-19, 12:33 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Metieval
I would buy a different bike, before upgrading the components on that one!
it's a thought for sure. anything I buy I keep in mind the idea of transferring over to a new frameset. the wheels and saddle are ones I'd be happy transferring over. The crankset didn't cost much. I could always buy a Lynskey gravel bike on sale or buy a lauf true grit frame + fork and transfer most others over. not for maybe another year or so though. If I bought a new gravel bike I might switch over to a 1x setup though.
Old 10-22-19, 12:45 PM
Metieval

it's a thought for sure. anything I buy I keep in mind the idea of transferring over to a new frameset. the wheels and saddle are ones I'd be happy transferring over. The crankset didn't cost much. I could always buy a Lynskey gravel bike on sale or buy a lauf true grit frame + fork and transfer most others over. not for maybe another year or so though. If I bought a new gravel bike I might switch over to a 1x setup though.
This post might just push me over the edge on a Bikesdirect 1x bike. It's an inexpensive way to try out grx1x for not a huge investment. In which Wolftooth already has chainrings out for the GRX cranks now. Up to a 46t
Old 10-22-19, 01:10 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The easiest and cheapest method is to just not worry about it. You could spend a couple hundred bucks to drop a pound off the bike, and honestly never notice a difference. In my experience, a bike doesn't start to get unwieldy until it's north of 30lbs.

Weight weenies are usually okay with $1 per gram of reduction, and as someone who once upon a time worried about bike weight, you usually end up lightening your wallet more than the actual bike.

Not to sound like a typical N+1 guy, but If you want a lighter bike, buy a lighter bike. I have two bikes that are ~7lbs apart. The lighter one is a little easier to ride faster. But I ride the heavy one more often-- almost twice as often. Weight isn't everything.
I don't disagree with you. I was fine buying a new set of wheels that I like and were a reasonable price. But the tamland frameset is steel and fairly heavy. the stock wheels were heavy so I replaced those. in theory that will save me ~1.5 lbs. I'll have to see once I put them on and weigh the bike if it ends up being that much. all else is small potatoes.
Old 10-22-19, 01:24 PM
shoota 

I don't disagree with you. I was fine buying a new set of wheels that I like and were a reasonable price. But the tamland frameset is steel and fairly heavy. the stock wheels were heavy so I replaced those. in theory that will save me ~1.5 lbs. I'll have to see once I put them on and weigh the bike if it ends up being that much. all else is small potatoes.
I got mine down to 22lbs. Curious to see where you land.
Old 10-22-19, 01:54 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
My Niner is right under 20lbs and I don't obsess over the weight. I'm cycling for excercise, so dropping 50 grams here and there means nothing. I have a buddy who obsesses over grams and it cracks me up. Ride the damn bike! Heck, I have two strong cups of coffee and a big bowl of steel cut oats an hour before I ride, and if I time it right I drop about 5 lbs right before I leave!
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 10-27-19, 06:45 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
My Niner is right under 20lbs and I don't obsess over the weight. I'm cycling for excercise, so dropping 50 grams here and there means nothing. I have a buddy who obsesses over grams and it cracks me up. Ride the damn bike! Heck, I have two strong cups of coffee and a big bowl of steel cut oats an hour before I ride, and if I time it right I drop about 5 lbs right before I leave!
If my bike was 20 lbs, I wouldn’t worry about it. My bike is 26+ lbs. So it’s a noticeable weight difference between my gravel bike and road bike.
Likes For biketampa:
Old 10-28-19, 07:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I'm the same height, and I can get down to the low 160s during racing season, but it's tough. And I think I am actually a bit stronger and faster in the high 160s.

If you like the bike, and you are comfortable on it, don't sweat its weight.