Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike gear calculator

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike gear calculator

Old 10-04-19, 08:18 PM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Bike gear calculator

Is bikecalc.com accurate? Not an app, not sure if they have one, it’s just a website. Site looks so simple, but what i like abt it is aside from gearing ratios, they also calculate the cadence u need to achieve or maintain a certain speed per gearing combination, plus some more.
Old 10-04-19, 11:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
My favorite so far is Bicycle Gear Calculator -- I could play with those sliders all day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-05-19, 12:23 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My favorite so far is Bicycle Gear Calculator -- I could play with those sliders all day.
I’ll try it out. Thanks.

Edit: Just tried playing with it now. It’s great. I like how those triangle marks are lined up for each chainring, you can easily see where it’s best to shift down from big to small ring, compared to using the bikecalc chart. This will be very useful for me. Instead of just trying to grind it out on the big ring on not so steep hills, i now know which small ring and cog combo to switch to to climb faster and easier. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by iamLefty; 10-05-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 08:32 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
These two gear calculators have been around for years. I never read a complaint about inaccurate results.
Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-05-19, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
Is bikecalc.com accurate? Not an app, not sure if they have one, it’s just a website. Site looks so simple, but what i like abt it is aside from gearing ratios, they also calculate the cadence u need to achieve or maintain a certain speed per gearing combination, plus some more.
The speed calculations for any gear calculator are going to depend on several factors that probably aren’t...and can’t be... considered in the calculations. Wind resistance will change the value. Headwinds will have an effect as well. They shouldn’t be looked on as “absolute” but only as estimates. They are probably good estimates but just estimates.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-05-19, 09:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The speed calculations for any gear calculator are going to depend on several factors that probably aren’t...and can’t be... considered in the calculations. Wind resistance will change the value. Headwinds will have an effect as well. They shouldn’t be looked on as “absolute” but only as estimates. They are probably good estimates but just estimates.
umm, no.
Old 10-05-19, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
umm, no.
Umm, yes. No bicycle gearing calculator can take into account the size of the rider, the rolling resistance of the tires, the wind and weather conditions, etc. All of those are going to have a small impact on the speed. That’s the real world vs the model.

The bikecalc.com calculator is probably worse than others I’ve seen. It gives the speed to the nearest 100th of a mile per hour. That’s a ridiculous number to report. Someone doesn’t understand significant figures. Giving the calculation to the nearest mile per hour is likely inaccurate.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-05-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 09:47 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I Ihave done the math using Excel and compared my results with two web based calculators and got so close with both I have no reason to believe any of them are inaccurate.

If you remember you grade 9 math, you can set up a custom chart showing speeds in gears at different cadences, gear inches and ratios in Excel too, like I have. It's not rocket science.

Keep in mind these are theoretical speeds in gears assuming we can generate enough power to overcome weight, Wind resistance, rolling resistance, ect.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 10-05-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 09:51 AM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Wind has no effect on gear calculations.

Nor does hills.

Wind and road conditions DO affect the power required to maintain cadence in a specific gear, but it doesn't affect the gear calculation one bit.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 10-05-19, 10:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Umm, yes. No bicycle gearing calculator can take into account the size of the rider, the rolling resistance of the tires, the wind and weather conditions, etc. All of those are going to have a small impact on the speed. That’s the real world vs the model.

The bikecalc.com calculator is probably worse than others I’ve seen. It gives the speed to the nearest 100th of a mile per hour. That’s a ridiculous number to report. Someone doesn’t understand significant figures. Giving the calculation to the nearest mile per hour is likely.
None of the wind or rolling resistance or weight or weather matters. The gear calculators provide speed based on gear AND cadence -- if I weigh 500 lbs, and pedal a 50/16 gear at a 90 cadence into a headwind, I will be going just as fast as a 100lb rider pedaling at a 90 cadence in a 50/16 gear riding with a tailwind.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-05-19, 12:37 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Wow, that one is pretty great - it's helpful to see all the information at once. The only thing missing is meters of development (which is likely only of interest for OCD riders such as myself.) Thank you for sharing.

I've used - and been happy with - various gear calculators for working out basic information on speed, cadence, development, etc., and found the information helpful for gearing choices on geared but especially single speed bicycles. Accurate enough for an average user/rider; for purposes of engineering, etc. there are probably more variables that need to be considered.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-05-19, 01:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Wow, that one is pretty great - it's helpful to see all the information at once. The only thing missing is meters of development (which is likely only of interest for OCD riders such as myself.) Thank you for sharing.

I've used - and been happy with - various gear calculators for working out basic information on speed, cadence, development, etc., and found the information helpful for gearing choices on geared but especially single speed bicycles. Accurate enough for an average user/rider; for purposes of engineering, etc. there are probably more variables that need to be considered.
Meters/development is the option right above gear inches in the "Display" drop-down menu.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-05-19, 01:12 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
it's just a math equation, it works fine.
Old 10-05-19, 02:33 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Mine, too! I have the others saved as well, but I love the instant display of any gearing changes I'm considering.
Old 10-05-19, 04:51 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
No bicycle gearing calculator can take into account the size of the rider, the rolling resistance of the tires, the wind and weather conditions, etc. All of those are going to have a small impact on the speed.
What? Some explanation of how these things might affect the cadence vs speed relationship, please. How small is "small"?

Old 10-05-19, 07:06 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
What? Some explanation of how these things might affect the cadence vs speed relationship, please. How small is "small"?

A very large rider will push the tires down, in effect making a smaller wheel diameter, throwing off the speed calculation.
Old 10-05-19, 10:01 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
These calculators only cater for one crank. I have two. I don't use my CS-RK3 hub on the single-pedal tandem, but if i did, i'd have...

3-speeds front crank
2-speeds mid crank
10-speeds cassette
3-speeds hub

I know this'd be 180 gears but i don't know their actual ratios, and it could take some time to work out. I use an e-hub instead of the CS-RK3 but it'd still be nice to calculate the effect of experimenting with the front two cranks, which turn at different speeds.
Old 10-06-19, 01:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by iamLefty
I think the part a lot of people have trouble understanding is how rider strength and power enter into the equation.

I don't know how many times I've seen somebody post you'll go faster with a 26" wheel than with a 20" wheel. While it's true that, at the same cadence, you'll definitely go faster with the 26" wheel it's equally true that it will be harder to pedal the 26" wheel at that cadence. Think about it this way. If you could somehow fit a Ferrari transmission into a Yugo, do you think it would go 200 MPH? No because the Yugo simply doesn't have enough power to go 200 MPH.
Old 10-06-19, 06:25 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think the part a lot of people have trouble understanding is how rider strength and power enter into the equation.
They don't figure in at all. The calculation is for a specific cadence. If you can achieve that cadence (say 90), then you will go that speed. Now, it is possible that you may not be ABLE to achieve that cadence in a specific gear combination because you aren't strong enough. Maybe you can only do 70 RPM in that gear up the hill. Yes, you will be slower than the person who can spin 90 rpm in the same gear. It doesn't mean the equation is wrong.
Old 10-06-19, 07:22 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
A very large rider will push the tires down, in effect making a smaller wheel diameter, throwing off the speed calculation.
Actually the calculation is not based on diameter, It is based on circumference. Which does not change with weight when properly inflated.

If the correct formula is used (grade 9 math at best) these calculators are probably 99.9% accurate.

I get almost identical results as the online calculators when I set up an Excel chart for the same gear ratio to speed calculations. The tiny differences are probably due to rounding.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 10-06-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 08:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
They don't figure in at all. The calculation is for a specific cadence. If you can achieve that cadence (say 90), then you will go that speed. Now, it is possible that you may not be ABLE to achieve that cadence in a specific gear combination because you aren't strong enough. Maybe you can only do 70 RPM in that gear up the hill. Yes, you will be slower than the person who can spin 90 rpm in the same gear. It doesn't mean the equation is wrong.
Isn't that what I said? I think that's the point cyccommute was trying to say too. There's more to speed it than just final gear ratio.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 10-06-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 09:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Isn't that what I said? I think that's the point cyccommute was trying to say too. There's more to speed it than just final gear ratio.
You can say that "there's more to the maximum speed that you can achieve than just final gear ratio" -- that would be correct. But it's also really obvious that TDF riders go faster than all of us and it's not because of gear ratios they have on their bikes that none of us have thought to install.

Nobody's talking about that though, the discussion was specifically about gear calculators which do one simple thing -- show you the speed you would go for a given cadence and gear combination for a given bike/wheel size.
Old 10-06-19, 10:21 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Actually the calculation is not based on diameter, It is based on circumference. 1 revolution of a 4.5" fat tire that is riding nearly on the rim, or fully inflated does not change how far the bike travels with one revolution from a chalk line on the tire. If the correct formula is used (grade 9 math at best) these calculators are probably 99.9% accurate.

I get almost identical results as the online calculators when I set up an Excel chart for the same gear ratio to speed calculations. The tiny differences are probably due to rounding.

Clearly, you have not actually tried this.
Old 10-06-19, 11:13 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Actually the calculation is not based on diameter, It is based on circumference. 1 revolution of a 4.5" fat tire that is riding nearly on the rim, or fully inflated does not change how far the bike travels with one revolution from a chalk line on the tire.
What?!

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Clearly, you have not actually tried this.

Yeah, he's talking out of his backside. Of course it does. One revolution of a wheel with a fully inflated tyre will travel further than the same wheel if the tyre is half flat.
Old 10-06-19, 11:56 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
+1. It's a work of art.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.