Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Decent, inexpensive crankset

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 01:57 PM
teddywookie

Bikes: 2013 SE Bikes Draft Lite with rain fenders

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my chainring has a little 5 degree or so play when I change pedaling direction, which I think is the swaged connection failing? Pedals and BB move a bit before thunking into place and bringing the chainring along for the ride?

If indeed that's the problem, have you got a recommendation for an inexpensive crankset that's not total crap? The local bike shop I loved and trusted has closed. Inexpensive for me is as far under $50 as possible.
Old 10-21-19, 02:26 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Buy an old sugino glp or gs crankset. Even though they are road cranks, they come in 144 BCD. Can find on eBay in that price range and it is quality stuff. Anything new for $50 is likely to be trash lol
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 10-21-19, 06:07 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I'm going to keep that old sugino crankset in mind if/when I build a beater single speed.

IMO vuelta pistas are the cheapest crankset that you can buy that can still be considered rideable.
For whatever reason, they are are much cheaper than they would be if they were re-branded.
You should see them at most for $50 and some change, and as cheap as $35 on some sites if they are on sale.
I would expect to pay $80-$90 for cranks like that.
(full 7075 arms, no pot metal).
The color consistency of the polished or semi-polished crank arm actually looks pretty good in person. Looks like good aluminum (that's not a thing).

Not the stiffest, not the straightest, but reliable and solid. I rode them for a long time with no issues. They were still on my bike ready to ride when I snapped my frame and had to retire it.
I also rode them brakeless (tons of force being placed on them constantly and randomly), and still a good pair of cranks.

Your problem sounds like a flared spindle hole on your drive side arm. It won't happen (or at least not as likely) if you don't overtighten your spindle bolt.
They have a specific torque range. Too light and you don't create a tight seal. Too tight and you flare the hole and the seal can't be tight because the arm can no longer get a tight grip around the spindle.
These things are also never perfectly straight, so you can also push one "corner" onto the spindle more so than another simply because of machining imperfections or your own error.
So every time you crank, a side motion happens that wears away at that imperfection and you again, have a flared crank arm.
So you also want to (very) lightly tap around the arm with either a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood to make sure that it is as flush as possible before tightening.

I've done it more than once, with different kinds of cranks.

If you don't have a torque wrench, it's "about as tight as you would tighten your stem around your fork steerer, with 1/5 more of a turn for good measure."
Never as tight as you can, or anything close to that level of torque.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 10-22-19 at 02:05 AM.
Likes For BicycleBicycle:
Old 10-22-19, 06:41 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
There's this one, apparently the last one in stock - FSA Gimondi crankset. I kept looking at it and thinking, maybe, perhaps ... but no, I'll stick with the Miche Primato I've been running since '04 or so ...
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 10-22-19, 08:02 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Spend another $50 and get an Andel crankset
Old 10-22-19, 08:58 AM
teddywookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleBicycle
Your problem sounds like a flared spindle hole on your drive side arm. It won't happen (or at least not as likely) if you don't overtighten your spindle bolt.
They have a specific torque range. Too light and you don't create a tight seal. Too tight and you flare the hole and the seal can't be tight because the arm can no longer get a tight grip around the spindle.
I appreciate this reminder - I generally do overtighten the crank bolt.
Old 10-22-19, 08:59 AM
teddywookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
There's this one, apparently the last one in stock - FSA Gimondi crankset. I kept looking at it and thinking, maybe, perhaps ... but no, I'll stick with the Miche Primato I've been running since '04 or so ...
oh my that's pretty. If it's still around in a week and a half after I get paid again, and after my kid's birthday ...
Old 10-22-19, 09:01 AM
teddywookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - will also keep an eye out for these
Old 10-22-19, 09:11 AM
BicycleBicycle

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Holy smokes. Deal of the year right there. They're actually on sale everywhere right now it seems.
$38.37 on one site.

I have some other really nice parts and I woud pick them up to go towards that nice build, but they are not my style.
I like the look (and practicality) of the outboard bearing + flat, wide arm. Like omniums or aerodashes.
A lot of people probably feel that way and that's why they are probably on clearance.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 10-22-19 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For BicycleBicycle:
Old 10-22-19, 09:24 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by teddywookie
I appreciate this reminder - I generally do overtighten the crank bolt.
That may be true, but I suspect these bolts get under-torqued more often than over-torqued. It's pretty hard to get them too tight, unless you're using a really long wrench.

I have a torque wrench and sometimes use it when installing crank arms, but lately I've been using a simpler method: I take my favorite crank arm wrench, which is about 10 or 12 inches long, and I cinch those SOBs down as tight as I can get them. It's quick and effective, and I've never had a problem after using this method.

Just one dude's input... others may have different experiences.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-22-19, 10:15 AM
HankHeel

Bikes: Kilo WT, Bob Jackson

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bike Recyclery has some on sale at $50 right now. Too new to post the link sorry.
Likes For HankHeel:
Old 10-22-19, 10:18 AM
HankHeel

Bikes: Kilo WT, Bob Jackson

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bike Recyclery has some on sale at $50 right now. Too new to post the link sorry.
Old 10-24-19, 08:31 AM
teddywookie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks!