Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

training for mass

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

training for mass

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-05, 08:55 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
training for mass

How should I train (not for racing!) in order not to lose muscle mass? I’m working hard in gym, but feel like after summer months I’m going backwards mass wise and tire myself out with biking and gym too much. Basically I want cycling to add to my gym workout, I want to build up or at least not loose what I already have. I’m 180, with 13% fat.
Old 02-23-05, 09:11 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 165 forever and hit the gym till I got to 180. Now I want to lose the fast twitch and go with slow twitch fiber. That means smaller size. That is fine with me b/c it less to have to push up hill.

You could do sprint intervals or do track type workouts. Stay away from long rides and stick with short and fast full speed rides. That may do the trick for mass.

After I totaled the cost of gym fees I forgot the gym, got a trainer, and used the left over money for upgrades to my bike.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-05, 09:19 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuvak
How should I train .
I'm surprised you're getting away with that picture in your signature
hee hee hee hee hee
Old 02-23-05, 09:42 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you mean it's not bike related
Old 02-23-05, 11:03 PM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How should I train (not for racing!) in order not to lose muscle mass? I’m working hard in gym, but feel like after summer months I’m going backwards mass wise and tire myself out with biking and gym too much. Basically I want cycling to add to my gym workout, I want to build up or at least not loose what I already have. I’m 180, with 13% fat.
Protein intake definitely helps.

I usually buy Optimum nutrition whey protein $25 for 5lbs (mixes easily and since it is pretty thin it's easy to down 40 grams of protein in a small glass).

Cottage cheese (mainly casein protein...which is a slower protein and said to be anti-catabolic) works nice also. Low in carbs.

BTW, I won't tell a hard training cyclist to go on a low carb diet (because I think that is a mistake), but definitely mix in protein with your recovery meals.

You can't burn fat without muscle.
Old 02-23-05, 11:16 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Food = mass. Bodybuilding is 80% diet, 20% gym.

Aim for ~2g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day.

Train consistently and heavy, concentrating on the compound lifts.

Limit cardio to 3-4 40 minute sessions a week, on non-lifting days or after gym.

Supplement with creatine and L-glutamine. Take a good multivitamin daily as well.

That's it in simplest terms.
Old 02-24-05, 04:59 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
Protein intake definitely helps.

I usually buy Optimum nutrition whey protein $25 for 5lbs (mixes easily and since it is pretty thin it's easy to down 40 grams of protein in a small glass).

Cottage cheese (mainly casein protein...which is a slower protein and said to be anti-catabolic) works nice also. Low in carbs.

BTW, I won't tell a hard training cyclist to go on a low carb diet (because I think that is a mistake), but definitely mix in protein with your recovery meals.

You can't burn fat without muscle.
My Two Cents worth 53. Your body cannot assimilate more than 20-25 grams of protein at any given time. If you are taking 40 grams in one sitting your body is flushing those extra 15-20 grams away. Your best best is to spread your protein intake throughout the day
Old 02-24-05, 11:23 AM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ed073
Food = mass. Bodybuilding is 80% diet, 20% gym.

Aim for ~2g of protein per pound of bodyweight a day.

Train consistently and heavy, concentrating on the compound lifts.

Limit cardio to 3-4 40 minute sessions a week, on non-lifting days or after gym.

Supplement with creatine and L-glutamine. Take a good multivitamin daily as well.

That's it in simplest terms.
That’s not what I’m looking for. I know my gym stuff, I was interested in cycling tips. I do use protein supplement, however I do not believe in steroids such as creatine, but that is another story I’m not willing to argue about.

Back to cycling.....

Sould i push bigger gears for lower period of time, say 30 min?
Old 02-24-05, 11:38 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to increase muscle mass, you might as well quit cycling or cut it way, way down.
Old 02-24-05, 11:45 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That’s not what I’m looking for. I know my gym stuff, I was interested in cycling tips. I do use protein supplement, however I do not believe in steroids such as creatine, but that is another story I’m not willing to argue about.

Back to cycling.....

Well, I would stay away from the endurance type stuff. Just do high intensity for a short period of time. Go sprint up hills, etc.

BTW, Creatine is not a steroid/hormone. It won't mess up your endocrine system like steroids will. You should use it for training in a intensity matter.

If you don't like creatine might as well stop taking protein powder too, becasue that's all creatine is ......three amino acids linked together.
Old 02-24-05, 11:48 AM
recneps345

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to cycling.....

Yeah, good idea about not willing to argue about it, mainly because you are just flat out wrong.
Old 02-24-05, 11:54 AM
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
Your best best is to spread your protein intake throughout the day
I agree with this.

40 grams of protein might be overkill on a empty stomach, but if you have already ate some food. It will digest more slowly.

I've read different opinions on how much protein your body can assimilate at one time. But definitely spreading/dividing protein intake over the entire day is better than taking one huge "dose".
Old 02-24-05, 12:18 PM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eat 3 bowls of pasta and ride for 7 hours...
Old 02-24-05, 03:06 PM
ed073

Bikes: Scapin EOS7 sloping, 10v Record, Ksyriums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to cycling.....

Creatine is not an AAS. If you want to conserve muscle hypertrophy, less cycling the better.