Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

koroyd or mips?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

koroyd or mips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 05:57 AM
pociej

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
koroyd or mips?

Which is better? Or maybe we can use both? Do you know any helmet that has both technologies?
Old 05-17-21, 09:04 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
The only helmets I am aware of here in the US that use the Koroyd are from Smith Optics, and they make helmets that use both. I had one of their helmets and I took a bit of a hit: mud on the bike path and I slid out. One of three road bike crashes in the past 10 years. All due to small patch of mud on a multi use trail.

Speed prior to the impact was 12 MPH. No noticeable impact injury to me. Minor damage to the helmet.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/helmets-bike/
Old 05-24-21, 07:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,885 Posts
Don't know anything about Koroyd, but i had the unfortunate opportunity to crash test my MIPS helmet (Giro Synth) last October and it passed with flying colors. Went down at maybe 18 mph, fell forward, and put a good dent in the side of the helmet. No headache, no concussion, no injury at all (except for the road rash, etc.). I was happy to buy a new helmet - MIPs for sure.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-25-21, 07:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
Just get one or the other. Maybe get both and alternate wearing them in hopes that you'll have the one on that most fully protects you for the way you might hit if you do decide to wreck that day.