Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 08:11 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Havent been able to get any good workouts in the last 2 or 3 weeks. My hip and leg has been acting up again (between PT appointments...). Had to turn around in my clubs first road race of the year this past Sundaty because my leg started hurting. Leg was feeling better so I was able to ride hard on tuesday for a little bit, and got a good workout in yesterday (3x10 30/30s ~300 watts on) and had PT tonight. Everything should be good now, and now im seriously considering racing on Saturday.

It might suck, but effing bikes.
Old 03-24-16, 08:19 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the faith.
Old 03-24-16, 08:27 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Feelin not-too-sore last night so hit the sack early and got up for 3.5 hours before work, including the fast group ride. That hurt. So fatigued I only took one pull, after a car split the group. Rest tomorrow, and who knows what the weekend holds. Supposed to go to AZ for a wedding, but sister in law and her husband are visiting so Idk.
Old 03-25-16, 06:23 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a couple of KOMs off a dude who rides for Lupus last night. Guy who won the GMSR last year. Rolling climb on brutal, rocky western VA singletrack. Rowdy descent filled with square edged rocks. Plenty of rim contact last night. Praise be to Allah/Vishnu/Yahweh for my Enve rims.

https://www.strava.com/activities/525715906

Last edited by Duke of Kent; 03-25-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 09:38 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
This training week has been garbage. Just really struggling with balancing the bump in intensity. Though it hasn't been that bad, so I don't really know why I'm having a hard time. Resting super hard today, resetting for the weekend.
Old 03-25-16, 09:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Sometimes you just get caught out, it happens to me sometimes the first week back on after rest. I'm sure your legs will come around.
Old 03-25-16, 08:46 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Keep the faith.
I decided that I am racing tomorrow. It will suck, but im anxious to race bikes again. Im looking forward to racing the caad12.
Old 03-26-16, 11:19 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I'm doing 5hrs with 40-45min of vo2 within 90min after a decent warmup. This is one of those days you delay heading out for as long as possible because you know how bad it's going to feel.
Old 03-26-16, 02:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Windy River Ride. 176tss.
Old 03-26-16, 05:06 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Missed meeting up with the group ride thinking I was early. Waited 6 minutes, chased, took a shortcut and just missed them at the spot I was aiming for. Joined up at the turnaround. Took off for 7 minutes at 115% off the front, caught before the main homestretch sprint. Sat out the other 2 sprints.

2 hours, 150 TSS
Old 03-26-16, 06:56 PM
LMaster
Banned

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Some POS MTB thats way too small

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was sick the week before this for 5 days, just started feeling better in time for TBC 18-20th, then another couple days of decent training in the desert. Day off, easy day, then back to training in earnest today.
Old 03-27-16, 09:54 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Yesterday I wasn't recovered from Wednesday's workout, so while I was able to hit zone in prescribed dosage, I was using a lot of the smaller muscles to fake my way through it, and today everything sucks and I hate everything that is not coffee.

Today is 3hrs with 10x30AWC /2min recoveries. I'm 100% positive I'm going to crack doing these.
Old 03-27-16, 11:58 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my Quarq broke today and I set a new 20-minute power record of 5000w. My garmin gave me a new estimate of my VO2, improving from 60 to 61.

silver lining to the wet/cold/expensive ride.
Old 03-28-16, 08:33 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yesterday: 6*5' vo2 hill repeats then 2*20' high tempo
today: easy hour
Old 03-28-16, 08:43 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Had that thing where you race one day, feel like junk, ride the next day and feel pretty good. That was Saturday-->Sunday. Hard to be sure my legs were so great though, since Sunday was 1:43 of Z2, no hard stuff. Today: recovery commute in the pouring rain. Getting a little tired of the rainy commutes.
Old 03-28-16, 10:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I didn't crack yesterday, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. The NP that AWC generates is hilarious, it's like playing one of the expert songs on Guitar Hero and believing you can do the same thing with a real guitar.
Old 03-28-16, 02:23 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday road race.. got a flat 4 miles to finish..hard to watch the pack go but oh well.
Today easy
Tomorrow 20x2 at 90%
Old 03-28-16, 04:00 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help?

Raced last Saturday (9 days ago), felt great. Left the next day for a week's vacation with the family, totally off the bike.

While on vacation we went on a very easy but steep hike, and while descending my quads cramped up badly. It's happened to me before when walking downhill, no big deal. I hobbled down the path backwards.

Legs felt fine the next day and didn't really bother me for the rest of the vacation. I did 2 short (15 minute) steep uphill runs and everything was fine.

Got back late last night. Went for a ride today and within 10 minutes my quads cramped to the point where I couldn't turn the pedals over. This was zone 1 super easy spinning, nothing remotely resembling an effort. It took me an hour to ride about 2 miles back home. Just excruciating pain, like close to throwing up levels, so much pain that I couldn't think straight.

Took a couple of Aleve and a hot bath and I can at least move around now, but my legs feel like somebody beat them with a pipe. It's not a metaphor, they feel exactly like they were physically beaten. The pain is in both quads but different specific muscles. The affected muscles are very sore to the touch but don't feel knotted up or any different from the not-affected muscles, to the touch. No visible bruising or anything.

The same thing happened to me 3 months ago, on the first ride back after a week off. I remember that it was similarly different muscles on the left and right leg, in fact that time the calf muscles were involved too. At that time I took 3 days off the bike, did a hard ride on the 4th day and it was fine.

That makes it a pattern: first ride back after a week off, very bad bilateral leg cramps that don't seem to be related to any actual specific muscle effort (in other words not a muscle pull or anything injury related).

I have no idea what's going on but I don't like it at all. Google has nothing to offer. I've got an appointment with a good sports PT on Weds, I hope he can help. Anybody here ever experienced anything like this?
Old 03-28-16, 04:11 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you taking any supplements?
Old 03-28-16, 04:20 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, nothing.
Old 03-28-16, 05:16 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No work for me today, one of the benefits of working for a catholic organization is that Easter Monday is also observed. I rode my bike to the lake (which is starting to look like a puddle due to the low water level). It was a peaceful and windy 50 miles/5000 feet ride
My Garmin doesn't download to the computer anymore. It fell off my bike at a race last week and seems to be working otherwise. I can upload to garmin connect via bluetooth on my phone but it win't upload via USB?
Old 03-28-16, 05:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
No, nothing.
I have had good luck with magnesium to prevent cramps. I'd ask your PT about that.
Old 03-28-16, 06:21 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Help?

Raced last Saturday (9 days ago), felt great. Left the next day for a week's vacation with the family, totally off the bike.

While on vacation we went on a very easy but steep hike, and while descending my quads cramped up badly. It's happened to me before when walking downhill, no big deal. I hobbled down the path backwards.

Legs felt fine the next day and didn't really bother me for the rest of the vacation. I did 2 short (15 minute) steep uphill runs and everything was fine.

Got back late last night. Went for a ride today and within 10 minutes my quads cramped to the point where I couldn't turn the pedals over. This was zone 1 super easy spinning, nothing remotely resembling an effort. It took me an hour to ride about 2 miles back home. Just excruciating pain, like close to throwing up levels, so much pain that I couldn't think straight.

Took a couple of Aleve and a hot bath and I can at least move around now, but my legs feel like somebody beat them with a pipe. It's not a metaphor, they feel exactly like they were physically beaten. The pain is in both quads but different specific muscles. The affected muscles are very sore to the touch but don't feel knotted up or any different from the not-affected muscles, to the touch. No visible bruising or anything.

The same thing happened to me 3 months ago, on the first ride back after a week off. I remember that it was similarly different muscles on the left and right leg, in fact that time the calf muscles were involved too. At that time I took 3 days off the bike, did a hard ride on the 4th day and it was fine.

That makes it a pattern: first ride back after a week off, very bad bilateral leg cramps that don't seem to be related to any actual specific muscle effort (in other words not a muscle pull or anything injury related).

I have no idea what's going on but I don't like it at all. Google has nothing to offer. I've got an appointment with a good sports PT on Weds, I hope he can help. Anybody here ever experienced anything like this?
Never had this personally happen but I had a triathlon training partner who suffered really badly with calf cramps and the pain would last for weeks. He started going to a chiro who did ART (active release therapy) to get his muscles worked on/released and also added a potassium and magnesium supplement. Good luck!
Old 03-28-16, 09:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Geez, those are wild symptoms. I hope you figure this out soon GC.
Old 03-28-16, 11:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
I may swap tomorrow's workout, pending weather tomorrow morning. We'll see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.