Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Talk me off the ledge (Race Promotion)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Talk me off the ledge (Race Promotion)

Old 05-23-19, 05:53 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
OK, you guys are all right and I'm wrong. Cycling is dangerous. Real dangerous. Inherently so. Cannot be made non-dangerous.
Okay. Bye.
Old 05-23-19, 06:48 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
@63rickert when exactly did this shift towards increased injury occur, in your opinion? Lance wasn't that long ago.
I am not @63rickert but I have ridden bikes from every decade for the last 6. Someplace in the 90s bikes got twitchier. They also got a bit faster. I don't think in that time human reflexes got as much faster.

Me - I got beat up too much sub age 20 and sub age 30 so just gave it up, and I was not all that good. But due to my early retirement I still can remember it all and my body works pretty well now.

And while not racing, I think motorists are more aggressive now, and more distracted. Or I am just more aware of it. I don't remember being so concerned on the road when I commuted and raced in the 80s.
Old 05-23-19, 08:28 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
This video is evidence of why racing is dying. This is the most Cat 5 video I have ever seen, with the most naive and uninformed takes I have ever heard in a race analysis, yet it is funny, fresh, and passionate. These are guys who would not last one lap in the local Cat 4/5 crits in my area that average 25mph. Yet they are out there racing and having fun, and they have to be guys who ride 8000 miles per year, and do structured intervals, and they don't have aero crap. They are just dudes who decided to show up and see what's up. We need more of this. But we won't get it.

Old 05-23-19, 09:27 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
This video is evidence of why racing is dying. This is the most Cat 5 video I have ever seen, with the most naive and uninformed takes I have ever heard in a race analysis, yet it is funny, fresh, and passionate. These are guys who would not last one lap in the local Cat 4/5 crits in my area that average 25mph. Yet they are out there racing and having fun, and they have to be guys who ride 8000 miles per year, and do structured intervals, and they don't have aero crap. They are just dudes who decided to show up and see what's up. We need more of this. But we won't get it.

https://youtu.be/sEkNikKd3B0
I could never watch a race video that long but the beginning is GOLD. Those guys have absolutely no clue.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 05-23-19, 10:39 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I could never watch a race video that long but the beginning is GOLD. Those guys have absolutely no clue.
The guy on the left who was dropped half a lap in....at the very end he posts before he crosses the finish line. And he talks about what the officials said to him.
Old 05-24-19, 06:14 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
But those guys are also enthusiastic. For any activity to succeed, you need enthusiastic people involved in it.
Old 05-24-19, 03:58 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Enthusiasm is awesome. Getting on social media and broadcasting to everyone that you're absolutely clueless about a topic you're discussing is a bit different. I don't really understand it.
Old 05-24-19, 04:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
How in the actual **** is new guys coming to race evidence of "racing dying"?

That looks like new people coming in to the sport to me.

my race videos
Old 05-24-19, 06:14 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by mattm
How in the actual **** is new guys coming to race evidence of "racing dying"?

That looks like new people coming in to the sport to me.
I was saying it's the lack of these kinds of guys on the Race scene that is the problem.

This video is evidence that such races exist. I don't think there is any such race in my area.
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 05-24-19, 09:56 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Oh boy I'm glad I didn't do videos when I was a 5. I was a cocky piece of ****.