Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Diablo South Gate access thru Diablo CC

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 01:37 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts

This morning I rode through Diablo CC to get to the secondary access point to Diablo Scenic, but someone has locked the gate and put up a large sheet of plywood across it. This is NOT the main cut through that most people use, but it's so contentious that I try to avoid that area, deeper into the CC. This secondary access is a pedestrian gate at the end of Calle Los Calledos. I'm not sure who owns that gate, or the surrounding area, but it looks to be shut down now. If we lose legal access to the main cut through, then there will be no way to get to Scenic other than Diablo Rd. Perhaps this secondary one was never a legal access way, but it's too bad now that it's impassable. I ended up going out to Diablo Rd for the short distance on the road, but it's two somewhat challenging left turns, with lots of traffic and visibility problems.
Old 06-03-20, 01:47 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
they are at it again I see.. they way I see it the city/county whatever paved those roads so we have the right to use them. I always go up further along Alameda diablo.. checking that segment on strava today.. a number of people went that way

I dont like using Diablo (heading east) in the morning because the sun at certain times of the day is blinding to drivers. I've been approaching from the east last 3/4 times, so I guess I will continue too.

Last edited by spdntrxi; 06-03-20 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 04:13 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Hahahaha has anyone seen the latest stunt? Some nutjob on Calle Arroyo has hired a security guard who has posted up near the intersection with Diablo Rd. He's wearing a body camera and apparently there's another camera stationed nearby, I suppose in an attempt to record who is coming through, or maybe hoping to get footage of a confrontation with the guard. The funny part is that the CC owns the half of the road going into the club and they have already taken the stance that cyclists are allowed. It's funny to me that with all the **** going on in the world right now, one overly rich jerk with too much time on his hands is spending so much energy on such a non issue.

Btw the secondary access gate is open again. Heard it was closed off to prevent any "looters" from getting in during whatever protests were going on there. So, just use that, avoid the lunatic on the other area altogether.
Old 06-06-20, 04:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-07-20, 09:23 AM
cthenn

Oh man, it's a Diablo Country Club civil war! I knew the problem was with one or two residents but that's interesting.

Was that just in front of one of the neighbors houses?

Last edited by cthenn; 06-07-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-07-20, 10:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Oh man, it's a Diablo Country Club civil war! I knew the problem was with one or two residents but that's interesting.

Was that just in front of one of the neighbors houses?
There were reportedly 13 of these signs in front of the private homes. It's definitely a show of non-support for the one elitist tightass.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-07-20, 08:58 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
stay on the golf course side and your golden.. mr get off my street owns 2 houses on that road.
Old 02-11-21, 04:40 PM
cthenn

Saw a message on FB that the "richard" who lived on Calle Arroyo has moved. Perhaps the thought of plebian cyclists and HS thugs cycling and running on "his" road was too much and he vacated the area. In any case, looks like most of the unwelcome signs and ridiculous "guard" is gone, so if people want to ride through the CC, maybe we can do so free of harassment! Just be sure to continue to stop at all stop signs and obey all traffic rules, I still see more cops in there than other roads/areas I ride.
Old 02-16-21, 08:35 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
When I go up Diablo (admittedly not very often), I use Alameda Diablo to get to the Hole in the Wall and have never had a problem. In fact, the only encounters with the natives I've had have been people out for a stroll who wave back and say "hello": when I do.

I am curious about using Calle Arroyo, as in, why use that instead of Alameda Diablo? AD is a straighter shot and for that reason easier to navigate.

This is not a snarky question, but a serious one for my education.
Old 02-17-21, 10:19 AM
BenRidin
Come on, it'll be fun

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
...I am curious about using Calle Arroyo, as in, why use that instead of Alameda Diablo? AD is a straighter shot and for that reason easier to navigate...
I for one don't like to cross Diablo Rd on that blind corner to get to Alameda Diablo. Nor do I want to ride against the traffic on the bike path to access it. Calle Arroyo just makes more sense to me.
Likes For BenRidin:
Old 02-17-21, 12:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by BenRidin
I for one don't like to cross Diablo Rd on that blind corner to get to Alameda Diablo. Nor do I want to ride against the traffic on the bike path to access it. Calle Arroyo just makes more sense to me.
Gotcha. Thanks.

I don't mind the turn onto Alameda Diablo, so I go that way. Of course, on those rare occasions when I go up Diablo (once or twice a year max), I'm making that turn early, and usually on a Sunday morning, so the traffic is not that big an issue and I feel like I can see oncoming traffic from far enough way to feel comfortable doing it. But as with most things in life, YMMV. No question that the turn onto Calle Arroyo has better sight lines, and hence more margin for error, than does the turn onto Alameda Diablo, so I get the appeal of Calle Arroyo. Thanks for the explanation.

I do hope that the self-proclaimed Emperor of Calle Arroyo has given up on this. It was a stupid bone to pick in the first place.
Old 02-18-21, 04:17 PM
blt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I prefer Calle Arroyo, basically for the reasons BenRidin stated. It isn't as straight a shot as Alameda Diablo, but in general, the less time on Diablo Rd. the better (and if I'm heading to Mt. Diablo, there is that turn).

Anybody have any 2021 (or late 2020) experience on either Calle Arroyo or Alameda Diablo to share? I'm curious to know the current vibe out there.
Old 02-21-21, 08:44 PM
cthenn

Alameda Diablo has never been a problem for me. There is often a police officer at the stop sign where the road forks halfway up AD, but haven't had a problem with the residents. Haven't ridden CA in a while, though I don't like the short stretch on Diablo Rd past the end of the bike path, it's more of a straight shot plus the problem resident(s) on CA made it more worthwhile to continue to AD.