Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Beautiful Greg Lemond Ventoux - Billato Bike honest value wanted

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 10:54 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts

So, the bike cave is busting at the seams and I need to make some room. Having to make hard decisions which ones to let go. The Ventoux is being considered since in reality I now prefer to use the Trek Y-Foil for fast century rides vs this one which I had set up for that. Looking for an honest evaluation for local sale. Not comfortable with shipping or selling to someone who can't see it first. So just want to know what you all think it would be worth. I purposely did not clean it up for the pics as I wanted to portray as I kept it day to day. Only change was taking off my Brooks saddle and the sweet Veloflex tubulars I had on it. The old Team Saturn Mavic wheels are too cool to give up without a bump in price . So the bike is being sold with a really nice set of Mavic Open 4 CD rims and Shimano 600 Tricolor wheels with Mavic Aksiom tires that look brand new. Hubs were serviced when I took these wheels off another bike and stored them about a year ago. Recent Sram 12-26T cassette that looks brand new but I'd have to dig in my logs to see when I swapped it and the chain. 8 Speed Shimano 105 brakes, shifters, RD, FD with an R700 Crankset I put on a couple of years ago with a new bottom bracket. 50/34 chain rings. Upgraded the handlebars to Cinelli Giro D' Italia 42 cm width and a put on a new Cinelli stem at that time. Pics below. Paint is really, really good but if you look closely you can see some chips and such. They were pretty much there when I got it and I haven't done anything about them. Bike lives inside, never ridden in rain and it's dry here so rust isn't really an issue. I keep them cleaned and waxed to seal the surface.

So what should I ask for it? Local sale so cost of packing and shipping isn't a consideration.

As I'm going to list it minus the pedals

Another shot from this morning.

Pretty much all the paint is this good, great shine.

More details

105 RD

105 FD and R700 50/34 crank

Decals are in great shape. The quality of these is so much better than the Trek Lemonds.

Hoods are almost like new

Very few marks on the shifters.
Old 10-30-20, 10:58 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Cinelli bar and stems

105 brakes

Yeah, that's nice!

So this should date it no earlier than 1989/1990

Beautiful paint

Billato built!

Yep, like new decals

Pretty much new cassette

Sweet rims go well with the bike.

Buttery smooth Shimano Hubs!
Old 10-30-20, 12:05 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Now I feel like an idiot.

I just sent you a PM regarding an ad I saw for your bike (not knowing it was your bike) to give you heads up because it was in your area knowing you're a GL lover. I know shipping is out of the question so I won't ask but all your bikes 9s and 10s.

Last edited by nomadmax; 10-30-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-30-20, 12:08 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Now I feel like an idiot.

I just sent you a PM regarding an ad I saw for your bike (not knowing it was you bike) to give you heads up because it was in your area knowing you're a GL lover. I know shipping is out of the question so I won't ask but all your bikes 9s and 10s.
LOL, I just responded to it. It's all good. I just wish I was more comfortable shipping so I could offer these up here.
Old 10-30-20, 12:38 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Ooh, that's a beauty.
Old 10-30-20, 03:48 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Friggin' Beautiful! What size?.... 55cm?
Old 10-30-20, 08:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
In the spring, list it for $800 (or more) with a cool looking saddle ... which gives you a little more time to ride the hell out of it.
Old 10-30-20, 08:45 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by trailangel
Friggin' Beautiful! What size?.... 55cm?
It's a 54.
Old 10-30-20, 08:50 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
In the spring, list it for $800 (or more) with a cool looking saddle ... which gives you a little more time to ride the hell out of it.
I actually put in the local ad that they could pick what they wanted from my garage wall, assortment of around 1/2 saddles. So many that come get the bikes I sell locally seem to like the soft gel saddles for some reason. I've got a couple of Turbo's which kill me that they are more than welcome too, LOL!
Old 10-31-20, 12:31 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Beautiful

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-31-20, 04:40 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Beautiful piece of cycling history right there.
Old 10-31-20, 09:17 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I think with a Cromor frame and 105 components that $800 is optimistic. More like $600 in my mind.
BTW, I own two Billato built bikes and they are great riders. Both are Columbus TSX frames with Shimano Tricolor components..

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 11-01-20, 04:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
It's a 54.
How long is the tope tube C to C ?
Old 11-01-20, 07:01 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
How long is the tope tube C to C ?
Frame measures roughly 21.5" top tube CTC and 21" seattube CTC. Standover is right under 31".
Old 11-07-20, 12:20 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Super nice bike, but isn't that chain a little short?
Old 11-07-20, 02:04 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
I actually put in the local ad that they could pick what they wanted from my garage wall, assortment of around 1/2 saddles. So many that come get the bikes I sell locally seem to like the soft gel saddles for some reason. I've got a couple of Turbo's which kill me that they are more than welcome too, LOL!
I'm down to my last Turbo, which started out white and has worn to the point where it's mostly black at all contact points.
Old 11-07-20, 02:50 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Super nice bike, but isn't that chain a little short?

not if its in the big-big combo
Old 11-11-20, 12:58 PM
jamesdak 

Just as a point of reference. This did sell locally today for $600. Sort of sad to see one of my Lemonds go....

This was the buyers first classic steel bike after a lot of other bikes over the years. He was super impressed with how smooth it rode and how quiet it was. That was one of my most dialed in rides with a super quiet drivetrain.
Old 11-12-20, 04:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...$600 is what I paid here for the last Billato built bike I bought here. It was nicely equipped, but IIRC, I had to rebuild one of the wheels.
They are probably worth more than that, but tend to fly under the radar because not especially famous, and imported by different companies over the years.

Old 11-12-20, 10:52 PM
jamesdak 

^ That's a beaut. With selling the Ventoux and the 57 cm Giordana Scorpius frame I'm now down to only 8 Billato built machines in the house. All of them wonderful bikes on the road. Well, the jury is still out on the Concorde. Can't get it built until the cassette arrives....if it ever does....
Old 11-13-20, 09:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
^ That's a beaut. With selling the Ventoux and the 57 cm Giordana Scorpius frame I'm now down to only 8 Billato built machines in the house. All of them wonderful bikes on the road. Well, the jury is still out on the Concorde. Can't get it built until the cassette arrives....if it ever does....
Were the Italian-build Concorde's done by Billato? I have a ~1990 Concorde Aquila that has the Italian flag thing on the top tube that I new was contract-built somewhere in Italy, but didn't know by whom.
Old 11-13-20, 09:58 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by himespau
Were the Italian-build Concorde's done by Billato? I have a ~1990 Concorde Aquila that has the Italian flag thing on the top tube that I new was contract-built somewhere in Italy, but didn't know by whom.
I don't know for certainty. While researching mine I thought I found where the ones with the flag were Billato built. But I also saw reference to some being CIOCC built but that Billato did the work. I posted some pics of my on the Billato Owners facebook page last winter in Roberto Billato replied that they did build it.

This is it mocked up a bit as I worked to decided how to build it. Notice no, Italian Flag braze-on.
Old 11-13-20, 10:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have owned 2 Battaglins with the Italian flag braze-on, would love to know whether it signifies anything: