Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Matching up "sitz" bone measurements with saddle sizes

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-20, 07:14 PM
SkipII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

How do you equate the sitx bone measurement with actual saddles widths?

I understand you are supposed to add perhaps 15-25mm to your measurement, but is that the actually total width then of the seat?

The reason I ask is that I plan to buy a saddle from some private party -- new or used -- and I mostly see total length and width of the saddle.

For example, I have a sitz bone width of 115mm. If I add a typical 20mm to that to get to 135, do I buy a saddle of that width or something wider?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-20, 07:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Sit bones plus 10mm = total saddle width.
Old 11-26-20, 07:34 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
It really depends on the shape of the saddle. Some XXX mm wide saddles may indeed provide that amount of sit space because it's relatively flat. Another saddle listed as the same XXX mm wide may have less room because they flair down on the sides.

So the answer in my opinion is "it depends". If it was easy, cyclists wouldn't have saddles lying around in boxes.
Old 11-28-20, 05:56 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by SkipII

For example, I have a sitz bone width of 115mm. If I add a typical 20mm to that to get to 135, do I buy a saddle of that width or something wider?
Sit bone width plus ~20mm = total saddle width. In your example above, I'd be looking for a 140mm wide saddle.

Between my GF and myself..we've done quite a bit of saddle searching, and purchased many saddles for various bikes we own. In the end, the comfortable ones fall into the sit bone width + ~20mm = total width category.
Old 11-28-20, 11:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME the discomfort from too narrow is much greater than from too wide. A lot depends on the shape of the saddle - whether it is more pear or T-shaped in plan view, i.e. how fast does it neck down?
Old 11-28-20, 12:32 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I echo the sentiments of nomadmax and Carbonfiberboy... shape matters. Your riding position also matters. Generally speaking, your saddle width will be narrower as your riding position gets more aggressive and wider as your riding position becomes more upright.

My sit bones are approximately 10.5cm, so theoretically a saddle as narrow as ~125mm should fit me. However, in a "touring" position I've ridden a 155mm Ergon saddle that felt like my butt was going to swallow it (very uncomfortable to say the least) and I own a 157mm Gilles Berthoud Aravis that fits my booty like a glove (it's perfect). On a road bike with endurance geometry a saddle width of 146mm is excellent for me. Anything less than 140mm would likely start to become uncomfortable unless I was on an extremely agressive race bike.

At the end of the day, even if you know your sit bone width and can thus estimate proper saddle width for you, you still need to ride the saddle to know if it will work or not. Once you find that correct combination of width and shape it becomes much easier to experiment going forward.

Last edited by Cyclist0100; 11-28-20 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 12-08-20, 07:58 AM
SkipII

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Puttin' on the sitz

Thanks all. With this advice, I was able to buy from private party a 143 mm Cobb RANDEE that fits my sitz just right.
Likes For SkipII: