Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who's riding the "wrong" frame size?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-07-20, 07:03 AM
gravyface

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm 6'1" and a bit. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and had an XL hybrid (bike theft, stock is non-existent) that fit well for road, but felt a little tippy for off-road trails. I'm leaning gravel bike as I'm 90% road, 5% gravel/groomed paths, 5% true off-road trails with rocks/roots, etc.

I was planning on getting a beater MTB for that 5% and for when I'm taking it places like camp sites or patios or whatever with higher theft risk.

I've been discounting L frame, going by sizing charts, but maybe a large frame is fine. I know I know, just go and ride it, but I'm dealing with classified ads at this point out of town, so would like to limit number of trips/test rides.
Old 09-07-20, 07:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Don't buy the wrong size bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-07-20, 07:20 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Sometimes finding the right bike takes time. Now, with what is going on, it is particularly hard. I ride only one type of bike so most of the time I can look at a bike and find the right fit. Off road or trail riding is much different. I don’t know of any short cut to finding the right fit other than riding it. For vintage road bikes , it is simply top tube length and seat tube length for comfort and then frame material and fork angle/curve for agility or performance.
Old 09-07-20, 08:20 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
As years go by I am leaning more towards Grant Peterson at Rivendelle's theory on sizing. 20 years ago we thought riding a size smaller made for a lighter more agile bike. Actually we just had to go to drastic measures like long setback seatposts and long stems to get comfortable. Now Itend to err on the big side if I am in-between on the manufacturers sizing charts. If I can I just buy according to the cockpit length and stack height (headtube height) I know I need to get the fit right. That keeps setup simple.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-07-20, 08:36 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I am.

Typical frame size, for a '90s-era MTB type bike: 15.5" or 16" frame.

Height 5'9", give or take, but with shorter legs and a nearly-upright riding position preferred. Past two bikes have been '90s-format MTB types, 15.5" or 16" frames, with riser/swept bars and suitable stems for the position I'm looking for. Works very well, for me.

A bit non-traditional, I know. But it's one of the few ways to avoid stupid-long top tubes while still allowing for a short enough stand-over height and otherwise mostly-appropriate overall sizing. Short of going custom, that is.

Also have a 56cm Raleigh Cadent for speedier "town" riding with a bar/stem that has only modest rise/sweep. Too far forward for preference, but it works well. (The 52cm would probably have been a better choice, but this one's fine.)
Old 09-07-20, 09:41 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I also will tend to a larger frame in future. I use toe clips and always will, but with a frame on the small side on fit charts, I have toe overlap problems. I'm 6'0", have a 58cm gravel bike and a 61cm cyclocross bike. 59 1/2 would be ideal...

I find you can tweak the fit quite a bit with a stem length change if necessary, and seat fore and aft, handlebar angle, stem height, seat height and angle. Could even go to shorter crank arms for toe overlap, though that's a step too far for me.

Last edited by Chuckles1; 09-08-20 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 12:47 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm about the same height as you and a 54-56 cm bike fits me well. When I first started serious riding 5 years ago, I was riding my old mountain bike which was a 17" bike, Needless to say that thing was extremely hard to ride, partly because the bike itself was heavy, but mainly because I needed a bigger bike. Even with the seat post out as far as permissible, a 20 mile ride on that bike made my legs hurt afterwards. When I knew I was going to be serious about riding, I knew I needed a bike that fit me better. Looking online for a bike sizing chart, I realized I need a 21-22" bike, or around 54-56cm, and I got one. After learning how much easier it was to ride a bike that fits, I swore I'd never ride an ill-fitting bike again.

I'd say that if you're going to spend money on a bike, it's best to get one that fits you right. A bike that doesn't fit you well is like wearing shoes that don't fit well.
Old 09-07-20, 07:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I like to leave some wiggle room. Too big, it's harder to achieve comfort imo.
Old 09-07-20, 09:07 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I’m just under 6’2”, 34 inseam, and by almost all bike fitment calculators am a 58 or L. The bike that fits me the best is my Open UP which seems to have sizing closer to a 56 across many brands than my 58 Trek or Cannondale. Yes, there is toe overlap. On a road bike....who cares?

I do seem to enjoy smaller sizing but just bought a 58 Canyon Ultimate, I did consider going against their recommendation on size but worried about seatpost sizing.
Old 09-08-20, 05:47 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I am 188 cm in height. I have 2 bikes - 61 cm and 59 cm and I prefer the second. Even though my correct size is supposed to be 61.
Old 09-08-20, 07:18 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
61cm

I'm 6"1" and riding a Cervelo R3 61cm.
It is defiantly too large.
I had to replace the 100mm stem with a 70mm and the 25mm seat post with a zero setback post.
It is still not ideal. But I'm enjoying it.

The shop that did my bike fit claims 58cm is where I should be.

Barry
Old 09-08-20, 09:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Canyon wanted me on a Medium Endurace, but the Large I bought is really comfortable. Is that wrong?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-08-20, 11:09 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I have a size 52 Cervelo R3 and I’m 5.7”. I went for a professional fitting last month and was told I would have been better off with a 54 frame. We made it work but I am on too small of a dreams.
Old 09-09-20, 04:31 PM
gtd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bought a Specialized road bike (no model name -- early production) on sale in about 1986. It's too big, but I didn't know about bike fitting then. I had worked in a bike shop, but the only sizing guideline I knew at the time was to allow 1" clearance between top tube and crotch.

It's always been too big. I've really bastardized it since, too. New handlebars, seat, headset, dished the rear wheel so I'd stop riding in circles, etc. I added a handlebar bag, a seat pack, a corner pack, a back rack from Old Man Mountain, light water bottle cups, a frame pump. I've added things that make the "cool" people angry. Try riding into the start of a very popular century (5,000 riders) with a handlebar sleeve that holds a large 7-Eleven black coffee, while carrying a chocolate eclair in one hand! My only goal is to finish, might as well be happy along the way. I've ridden centuries, local weekend rides, etc., usually alone (so I need repair gear). I bought a rain kit and a suit bag so I could commute to work. Damn! Uphill in all directions with a full suit of clothes and law books. One night I did get a tailwind from a tornado that pushed me up a long, steep hill past all the stopped traffic, with all that gear, no pedaling required. Most awesome ride ever!

It's a nice-looking bike to this day. I think I'll add a Brooks leather seat. The bike won't fit correctly, and my butt will be sore for a while, but it'll be that much nicer and that much more fun.
Old 09-09-20, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I own a bike that really isn't quite the right size but I had to have it and I can ride it without discomfort (just don't really have clearance between crotch and top tube) but that is a special case and I have plenty of other bikes to ride and this one is not one I need to ride often.

Always get the right size bike.
Old 09-09-20, 10:58 PM
Database82

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe (Sold), Bianchi San Jose, Kona Hahanna (Sold)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'6 and I've been riding on a 44cm Bianchi San Jose, I like the feel of it even though I should be riding a 49-50cm frame. I'm currently looking to purchase a bike in my size, I've noticed I have to be extra careful of foot placement otherwise toe overlap becomes a serious issue.
Old 09-10-20, 07:31 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
5' 9" here with shortish torso and longish legs and arms.

One bike I currently have is a "Medium" because that's what spreadsheet specs said would fit me. Since this bike has an angled top tube, I can't rightly say what the size in centimeters it is. The seat was easy enough to raise, but I had to get a new stem and bars to move my hands forward and higher.

The other bike I currently have was labeled a "Large - rider height range 5'10" to 6'1" ". It measures 56 cm at the seat tube. It fits me much better as is.
Old 09-10-20, 08:48 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I have a size 52 Cervelo R3 and I’m 5.7”. I went for a professional fitting last month and was told I would have been better off with a 54 frame. We made it work but I am on too small of a dreams.
Yeah, I just looked at the 2019 geometry. It looks like it goes from 51cm to 54cm. I didn't see a 52cm or 53cm. Anyway the reach on the 54cm is 378mm.

I'm the same height as you and my bike has 380mm reach and I use a 120mm stem

Last edited by jadocs; 09-10-20 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 08:52 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I ride a road bike frame that is 'just' a bit too small for me. I do so in regard to my prosthetic foot and being able to comfortably (for the berries) to reach the ground.
The city bike I have is larger but follows more of a MTB geometry.
Old 09-10-20, 08:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My 2nd hand Bike Friday Tikit was bought from some one taller, but I made it fit..
Old 09-10-20, 08:58 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I ride a 62cm touring frame. I have a long stem with rise and a lot of seatpost exposed. I feel like a 64cm, which is available in a lot of touring bikes, would be better.
I have no problem riding many miles on it, though.
Old 09-10-20, 12:21 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Yeah, I just looked at the 2019 geometry. It looks like it goes from 51cm to 54cm. I didn't see a 52cm or 53cm. Anyway the reach on the 54cm is 378mm.

I'm the same height as you and my bike has 380mm reach and I use a 120mm stem
Sorry I didn't mean 52, I meant 51. You are correct. 54 would have probably worked better for me based on the geometry. I have a 110 stem and the seat is moved pretty far forward to get me where I need to be.
Old 09-10-20, 01:43 PM
LOBO7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basscadet
I’m just under 6’2”, 34 inseam, and by almost all bike fitment calculators am a 58 or L. The bike that fits me the best is my Open UP which seems to have sizing closer to a 56 across many brands than my 58 Trek or Cannondale. Yes, there is toe overlap. On a road bike....who cares?

I do seem to enjoy smaller sizing but just bought a 58 Canyon Ultimate, I did consider going against their recommendation on size but worried about seatpost sizing.
SAME here 56 feels so much better going down steep hills. 6'2"
Old 09-10-20, 05:23 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by gravyface
I'm 6'1" and a bit. I'm pretty desperate at this point, and had an XL hybrid (bike theft, stock is non-existent) that fit well for road, but felt a little tippy for off-road trails. I'm leaning gravel bike as I'm 90% road, 5% gravel/groomed paths, 5% true off-road trails with rocks/roots, etc.

I was planning on getting a beater MTB for that 5% and for when I'm taking it places like camp sites or patios or whatever with higher theft risk.

I've been discounting L frame, going by sizing charts, but maybe a large frame is fine. I know I know, just go and ride it, but I'm dealing with classified ads at this point out of town, so would like to limit number of trips/test rides.
Size XL these days is generally the same as a 58 cm and that it a good size for 6'1" You would probably want a frame with a 57 cm top tube. But that depends on your shoulder width and arm length. Use narrow bars - 38 or 40. Depending on what you're willing to spend, an older aluminum Ridley CX bike would do very well. They are a very stable off-road ride, Redline Conquest gives you mounts for hydraulic disks on the later models. The handling is quick on the Redline. If you use disks there is a learning period - they are VERY strong compared to even good rim brakes so be careful until you're used to them. Shimano hydraulic levers work very well and it took me 20 minutes to bleed them properly on my first try. Just watch the Shimano video on it.

Or you can go with V-brakes. I've found that cantilevers don't have enough power in steep terrain. But V-brakes (700c SPECIFIC TRP for instance) are nearly as good as disks without the danger of accidental locking.

Then you can use older CX bikes like https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Peugeo...sAAOSwsnldbFwc

If you can go new bikes a Trek Tom Boonen is a good choice. Lifetime limited warranty.
Old 09-11-20, 03:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Why is it that people seem to think that the only way to determine frame size is with your height? Start with inseam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.