Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Natchez Trace planning

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Natchez Trace planning

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 05:41 PM
GaryinMich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natchez Trace planning

There are 3 of us trying to plan riding the Natchez Trace in October and am looking for some advice from past riders. We aren't having too much trouble planning the bike ride but there are a lot of questions on travel logistics.

Current rough plan is to drive from Michigan to Memphis and rent a Uhaul pickup truck. We would leave our vehicle at the Memphis end of the route and drive the rental one way to Natchez. From there we will ride back to our vehicle.

Wondering about Uhaul locations in reference to the Trace and possible places where to leave the car for a week so we can ride to it at the end. Open to all suggestions and comments.
Old 08-18-15, 06:58 PM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinMich

Current rough plan is to drive from Michigan to Memphis and rent a Uhaul pickup truck. We would leave our vehicle at the Memphis end of the route and drive the rental one way to Natchez.
First a little heads up, the Trace starts near Nashville, TN and not Memphis, though hitting Memphis when they're doing their BBQ festival is a good thing.

Second, consider leaving your vehicles at the Nashville Airport long term parking.

Third, be prepared to be very self supported, there are not a lot of services right on the trace and often it means riding off the route several miles in order to obtain food and services, you will only pass through a couple of larger communities for most of the route.

Fourth, be prepared to ride alongside a lot of RV's and gawking tourists, though you won't have much semi traffic to contend with.

Have a great ride !
Old 08-18-15, 07:10 PM
GaryinMich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are correct and I knew it was Nashville. Don't know why I had Memphis on my mind.
Old 08-18-15, 07:26 PM
robow

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinMich
You are correct and I knew it was Nashville. Don't know why I had Memphis on my mind.
Figured as much and if that isn't the name of a Country Western song, then it should be
Old 08-19-15, 06:34 AM
krue1971

Bikes: Trek EX 9, Lynskey Ridgeline, Salsa El Mariachi, Schwinn High Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also planning on hitting the Trace in October, riding from Nashville to Natchez. First thing I recommend is ordering the packet from the National Park Service. Also you can read journals of people who have ridden it at crazyguyonabike.com
Old 08-19-15, 07:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11061 Post(s)
Liked 7,621 Times in 4,250 Posts
So you will ride it South to North? The recaps ive read have all been N to S.

Having gone to college in MS, riding the whole Trace or even the MS segment, has been a long term plan. I did day rides back in the day and its a great road- plenty wide in the parts I rode.

Id assume you already have these references- they've been bookmarked by me for a handful of years.
Bicycling the Natchez Trace Parkway | NatchezTraceTravel.com
https://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 08-19-15, 09:05 AM
jgscisum 

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycling the Natchez Trace by Glen Wanner is a must have book. Relied on it for my trip North to South. Some facts are outdated but 99% is right on. Plenty of off road stores for food and restaurants if that is your thing while touring. PM me and I can give you some great info and must see places about Tennessee and parts of Alabama.
Old 08-19-15, 09:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 1,983 Times in 1,242 Posts
Thinking about directions on the Trace and fronts coming through in October...

You'll have very strong southwest winds for about 6 hours before a front comes through. You could have 24-36 hours of north winds after the front blows through. OTOH, it'll probably be easier to get a U-Haul in Nashville than Natchez.
Old 08-19-15, 02:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,909 Posts
You might consider a minivan if there are just 3 of you. Franklin TN is near the upper end of the Trace. Some parts of Nashville, including the airport, are a LONG way from the Trace.