Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

3 wishes for your Ebike.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

3 wishes for your Ebike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 10:27 PM
SeizeTech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
3 wishes for your Ebike.

If you had 3 wishes for your Ebike, what would they be?

please let you imagination work for you here, I think it'll be cool to hear some really creative answers.

Here's mine:

Wish#1 I wish my Ebike motor had a high range for on-road use and a low range for off-road use.

Wish#2 I wish my Ebike had a built in charger, so all I had to do was plug it in.

Wish#3 I wish my Ebike had a car horn so I can really share my thoughts with motorists.
Likes For SeizeTech:
Old 12-20-10, 03:16 AM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeizeTech
Here's mine:

Wish#1 I wish my Ebike motor had a high range for on-road use and a low range for off-road use.

1st HALF OF THAT IS ALREADY A REALITY FOR ME, 80-116 MILE RANGE DEPENDING ON SPEED...
2nd HALF OF THAT = CAN BE WAAAYY TO EXPENSIVE FOR THE MAJORITY OF US (re:OPTIBIKE)

Wish#2 I wish my Ebike had a built in charger, so all I had to do was plug it in.

ALREADY DONE, JUST CARRY YOUR (SPARE) CHARGER(S) WITH YOU, LIKE I DO.

Wish#3 I wish my Ebike had a car horn so I can really share my thoughts with motorists.

AGAIN, ALREADY DONE. I HAVE, CAR HORN, DIRECTIONALS, BRAKE LIGHTS, SAT. RADIO, AMP, 2 FRONT SPEAKERS, 1 REAR SUB W/NEON, KEY LOCK W/ALARM AND LED HIGHLIGHTS FOR "SPECIAL EFFECTS".

MY wishlist is....

#1.... 150 mile range at 20mph on 20lbs. of battery and only one motor, no pedaling. (Currently only 80 miles/20 mph on 40lbs. of battery using two motors, no pedaling)

#2.... Total weight of bike under 50 lbs. while keeping all of my current (and wishlist'd) items.

#3.... Recharge capability of 90% within 10min. (without it costing $15,000+ [re:Toshiba SCiB battery technology] for my wish #1 range)

Last edited by Sangesf; 12-20-10 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Changed weight wish
Likes For Sangesf:
Old 12-20-10, 07:44 AM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wish list :

#1 - To own a electric bike...

hahaha....seriously though , even though I dont currently own one , my 3 wishes would be :

1. a decent warranty on all expensive parts of the kit. Like how many cars come with a 100,000 mile warranty. guarantee....it would be nice to have these kits come with a 10,000 mile guarantee .

2. a aftermarket bicycle shell made of a clear and lightweight material that quickly attached to the bike to shield the rider from wind/ rain/elements .

3. a LAW...that mandates all sellers of ebikes and ebike kits must tell us honest stats/numbers pertaining to their kits...make it illegal and punishable by law , that overstating a lipos capacity or a hub motors wattage, etc is a criminal act.

#3 may be the most important and beneficial wish for all of us, because it would finally even out the playing field and allow us to know which kits are gonna give best performance for their cost .
Old 12-20-10, 08:11 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
lol Those are great idea. i know I might be a bit greedy but I'd like to make 3 more wishes:

Wish 1
My Harley Davidson had a thumbscrew that would allow me to let go of the throttle and the motorcycle would maintain its current throttle setting. I wish I had the same thing for my Ebike

Wish 2
The twist throttle isn't always as handy as a thumb throttle, yet I dont want to give up the twist. I wish I had a throttle system that allowed for twisting and thumb control.

Wish3
I wish it was legal to run my ATV with a snowplow on my favorite bicycle routes,even if it was only allowed on Saturday mornings between 8am and 10am.
Old 12-20-10, 08:15 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunnyday
wish list :

#1 - To own a electric bike...

hahaha....seriously though , even though I dont currently own one , my 3 wishes would be :

1. a decent warranty on all expensive parts of the kit. Like how many cars come with a 100,000 mile warranty. guarantee....it would be nice to have these kits come with a 10,000 mile guarantee .

2. a aftermarket bicycle shell made of a clear and lightweight material that quickly attached to the bike to shield the rider from wind/ rain/elements .

3. a LAW...that mandates all sellers of ebikes and ebike kits must tell us honest stats/numbers pertaining to their kits...make it illegal and punishable by law , that overstating a lipos capacity or a hub motors wattage, etc is a criminal act.

#3 may be the most important and beneficial wish for all of us, because it would finally even out the playing field and allow us to know which kits are gonna give best performance for their cost .
I'm afraid the Auto industry is just as guilty with their miles per gallon ratings. They were the industry that pioneered the expression "YMMV" (you mileage may vary)

However, you do have a point when it comes to battery ratings, a battery should have an Ah rating, and no one should be allowed to lie or misrepresent that rating.
Old 12-20-10, 08:43 AM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To get cruise control on an ebike just buy a controller that has that function.
For the thumb throttle, just buy one and splice together with the twist throttle, it will work fine.
Old 12-20-10, 07:18 PM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
for an improvised thrumb control, I would take the bracket from one of my rear blinky lights, the bracket is sort of like a plastic version of a hose clamp where there's a fairly large 'lever' that works well with the thumb.

I'd put it finger tight onto the twist grip, tight enough that I could move it when I wanted to but generally it didnt move being used.

Then I would adjust it, so whenever my hand and wrist was in a comfortable position, the throttle would be about 3/4 throttle with the 'lever' resting against the soft padding of my thumb. I liked this solution because I wouldn't feel any hand strain from holding or operating the throttle.

gosh I hope I explained this well enough, if not, just say so, and I'll make a point of taking a picture of it before spring.
Old 12-20-10, 07:23 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just do what I said... Much easier.
Old 12-20-10, 07:33 PM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
lol I have a cycle analyst in a box that I hope to install before spring, i think it has a cruise control on it. I'm just the kind of guy that apreciates his duct tape projects LOL
Old 12-20-10, 08:34 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was too until 90% of my bike was put together with duct tape and wire.
I use that method until I have money to buy what I really want..
After an amount of time, I usually end up with extras of what I need.
(I currently have extras of switch clutches, thumb throttles, brake levers, lights, etc.. Most of which are in so so condition, but I have them, if I need them.)

I've finally received my new front motor kit, after not having one for over 2 months...(every kit I found was way above my price range, and I just got the new one for under $200 shipped) In the meantime, I had bought a née battery box, new front basket, new rear panniers, switch clutches, and a few odds and ends...

After not have a dual setup for 2 months, Now it's time to bring back my bike to it's former glory!
(it will probably take me a week to fix it all up again)

Last edited by Sangesf; 12-20-10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 09:13 PM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Please post some pics ( not you, just your bike LOL)
Old 12-20-10, 10:44 PM
spasmous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1) Lighter weight. 50 lb is still too heavy to lug up stairs.
#2) More like a standard bike, no obvious cables or a battery holder.
#3) Really really rain proof by design (not just hot glued shut )

I know you can spend $4k on a bike like this already but that's my Xmas list, I been a good boy this year Santa.

Oops got another one...

#4) More torque and a faster top speed!!!! And where's my PINK PONY**********
Old 12-20-10, 11:09 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will post pics when I'm done fixing it up, right now it looks like crap.
I take a before pic and and after pic.
I'll probably put a vid on YouTube too.

Here is a link to what it looked like a year ago...

https://motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=520

And here is a video from a couple of months ago...

https://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=o3QXPg2HhrQ

Last edited by Sangesf; 12-20-10 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 02:55 AM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. An e-bike battery and controller that powers everything you can possibly have on a bike - lights, blinkers, (speakers for both music and horn), and camera. No more need for separate batteries for everything.

2. A 40lb ebike. Mine's 48 lbs. It's light enough to place on a bike racks on cars and buses, and carry up the stairs, but 40lb would make the job a lot easier!

3. A bike frame that integrates the motor and battery into the frame. (like optibike, but not as expensive).
Old 12-21-10, 11:23 AM
yopappamon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I wish there was a bike path from my house to my work.

2. I wish I had the money to buy all the stuff I want for my bikes.

3. I wish I could stop shopping for my bikes....
Old 12-21-10, 01:26 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamtki
1. An e-bike battery and controller that powers everything you can possibly have on a bike - lights, blinkers, (speakers for both music and horn), and camera. No more need for separate batteries for everything.
You can do what I did originally and run 3 SLAs.. 2 at 18ah and one at 35ah and hook up all your electronics to the higher AH'd one

2. A 40lb ebike. Mine's 48 lbs. It's light enough to place on a bike racks on cars and buses, and carry up the stairs, but 40lb would make the job a lot easier!
Depends on the batteries you use.. If you're not using lipo's, replace your current batts with them... If you are using lipos then buy a lighter bike-(prolly expensive)

3. A bike frame that integrates the motor and battery into the frame. (like optibike, but not as expensive).
Some people put the batteries in the frame of their bikes (cylindrical prismatics), but not sure how comfortable I feel with not havin easy access to my batts
Most of what people are asking for IS possible, with a little bit of ingenuity and time and (of course) money.
Old 12-21-10, 02:42 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangesf
Most of what people are asking for IS possible, with a little bit of ingenuity and time and (of course) money.
That's why I listed these particular wishes - cause they're all possible with today's technology, but nobody's created it into a package you can buy and install. I could probably do #1 but I'd need a lot more time on my hands and it would still probably look like a mess and not very weather proof.

#2 - I already use lithium batteries (that's why it's only 48lbs). The bike weighs about 29 lbs with the regular tire (and with all the accessories). I can probably save a few pounds with a lighter frame, but it wouldn't be enough to get down to 40 lbs. The biggest weight savings beyond this is to shift from a hub motor to a bottom bracket motor.

That leads me to #3. A motor and battery integrated into the BB and frame - just like optibike. You wouldn't need to take the batteries out because you can plug right into the bike to charge. If the batteries ever get worn out, you can still access it via a panel and replace it.
Old 12-21-10, 07:06 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What type of lithium... There's LiFePo4, LiMn, LiCrO2, etc. all with different weights..
Old 12-21-10, 07:59 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
#1 Estor comes out with their ultracap, and it does everything they say.
#2 E-bikes are allowed on the MUPs, with the the understanding that speed limits still apply.
#3 Looser rules, that allow, say 40kph? for on road use?
Old 12-22-10, 02:15 AM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangesf
What type of lithium... There's LiFePo4, LiMn, LiCrO2, etc. all with different weights..
LiMn. It's a Bionx system. It's their 36v 10ah battery. It's pretty light. With my pedaling, I use about 10wh for each mile.
Old 12-22-10, 07:50 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.) Wish I had one.
2.) Wish I knew someone locally that has one.
3.) Wish you happy holidays.
Old 12-22-10, 10:07 AM
happyJohnrn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 Wishes

1) Wish improved battery technology would less talked about and more available
2) Wish promised battery technology will be affordable
3) Wish for a tax incentive for owners of ebike who commute on them
Fella can dream can't he?
Old 12-23-10, 05:56 AM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) longer distance, at least 120 KM (currently i'm lucky to get 60Km on a single charge)
2) faster
4) lighter
Old 10-07-22, 05:03 AM
electricPony
Older and wiser

Bikes: Old school Electra cruiser, Giant AnyRoad One and a Mastretta MX3 LT80

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
1. More power!
2. More supension!
3. A solar charger for touring off the grid...
Likes For electricPony:
Old 10-07-22, 12:34 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
You know, they all made these wishes back in 2010! And with one exception, none of the respondents have posted anything since I joined the forum in 2015. Maybe it's me.

My wish is just for a ebike that won't burn my house down.
Likes For Doc_Wui:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.