Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

"Interesting" Meeting of the Cars and the Racers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 07:36 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I rode the Six Gap Century for the first time this past Sunday (www.6gap.com). As I was coming down the back side of Hogpen Gap (toughest of the 6 climbs) I saw something 'interesting' in front of me. It was over pretty quickly but from what I could tell it was four bikers who were part of a team (same kit on all four) and there was a car between the lead two and the trailing two bikers. The lead 2 were at that point were separating themselves from the car, and the back 2 were trying to pass the car. At least that is what it looked like to me.

But I had to take my eye off the fun and pay attention to my own line coming into that turn. When I looked up again, the car had pulled off the road. But WOW - that could have been really ugly.

dave
Old 10-01-19, 08:10 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Bikes can descend technical roads faster than cars.

Not really an uncommon thing.

Had it happen to my group in Chattanooga. Some people went around a car, some didn't.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-02-19, 05:36 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
No doubt that bikes can descend those kinds of steeply downhill and sharply curving roads faster than a car. But the idea of one 'vehicle' passing another in that specific area just seemed ludicrous to me (although bike passing bike - certainly understand that one). OTOH, I simply do not have the kind of experience in those circumstances that you (given your cat 1 status) almost certainly do have .... OTOH, it kind of looked like the driver of the car was almost forced off the road.

dave

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 10-02-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-02-19, 06:50 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I agree that it's a pretty bad idea in general. I've done it in the past when younger (and more foolish), but it's not something I would typically do anymore unless there was a very pressing reason/need. Or perhaps if a car pulled out in front of me.
Old 10-02-19, 07:11 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I've ridden those gaps several times. Those descents are fun - and fast! As rubiksoval said, cyclists can take those turns faster than most cars and motorcycles. I have passed cars there. It's not as crazy, sketchy as it sounds. Despite the speeds, the pass is actually pretty smooth, uneventful - the key is making sure A. the car you're passing is aware of you - watch their mirrors, hand signals, etc. B. The road ahead is clear. C. You're not approaching an intersection or driveway - that could be where the car is going or another car is entering from. C is unlikely there - the road is mostly a windy switchback.

I never just fly up on a car and go by. I want to get a sense of how they're braking, taking the turns, etc. If they're straightening out the curves by crossing the dbl yellow, I'm going to hang back. Most of the cars there are just driving - they take the turns slowly, don't accelerate hard out of them. Some people in cars, motorcycles head up there to "play" just like we do. They brake harder, accelerate harder... Those are not the cars to pass.

Also, a zoomed-in GPS map on the computer is oddly effective in knowing how the curve plays out - does it tighten or relax, is it followed by another tighter turn... It took a while to have the confidence in it. But, it's like having that rally car navigator calling out the turns. If only it could see gravel ;-)

Last edited by Zaskar; 10-02-19 at 07:19 AM.