Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Do hills give you lower back pain?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 05-22-20, 03:18 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I've recently been riding a lot more than ever before, for about the last month or 2. I ride a gravel bike and am doing on average 4 rides a week from 40-80km a ride and usually with elevations from 300 to over 1000meters (i ride in both the woods and roads). I do notice though that my lower back tends to hurt when climbing. I'm 47 and in very good condition. If anyone has such issues, how have you dealt with this?
Old 05-22-20, 06:08 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Try standing up for a few pedal strokes.

I have had a lot of low back pain over 50 years of riding, and the best solution I have been able to come up with, is to alter my climbing style slightly, so that my back stays straight, while climbing in the saddle. What this does, is utilize the glutes, the largest muscle in the body, instead of the lower back, as happens when you fatigue and start riding with a rounded back.

I've found that when I'm really fatigued is when i need to work on this the most, because my natural tendency is to slouch when tired, and what this does is start using the lower back to pedal instead of the glutes. If the climb is long enough, I probably WILL fatigue and start slouching a bit. But i try to climb with a straight back as long as i can. Not only is it more efficient muscle-wise, I think I can get more air into the lugs as well.

You can use your lower back to pedal if you want, but I think it's very bad for the back and will probably result in pain and eventual misalignment, IMO. Try it out.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-22-20, 06:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
I have not but while I was still going to the gym before the virus I was doing some yoga stretches specifically for my back due to a bad strain many years ago. I feel like they were beneficial. I should be doing them still, at home, but I stink at home exercise. you might try to dig up 5 or 6 of those & try them for a cpl weeks to see if they help. they were easy to find

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-23-20 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 06:28 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Try standing up for a few pedal strokes.

I have had a lot of low back pain over 50 years of riding, and the best solution I have been able to come up with, is to alter my climbing style slightly, so that my back stays straight, while climbing in the saddle. What this does, is utilize the glutes, the largest muscle in the body, instead of the lower back, as happens when you fatigue and start riding with a rounded back.

I've found that when I'm really fatigued is when i need to work on this the most, because my natural tendency is to slouch when tired, and what this does is start using the lower back to pedal instead of the glutes. If the climb is long enough, I probably WILL fatigue and start slouching a bit. But i try to climb with a straight back as long as i can. Not only is it more efficient muscle-wise, I think I can get more air into the lugs as well.

You can use your lower back to pedal if you want, but I think it's very bad for the back and will probably result in pain and eventual misalignment, IMO. Try it out.
.......Nice! Thanks for the reply and input. I'll try standing more on climbs and just be more aware of my slouching when exhausted. Love the pic too!
Old 05-22-20, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I don't know, my typical ride is up and down constant hills of 30, 40 and 50 feet, maybe an occasional 100 ft climb that's not steep.

For things like back pain, any time I get an inkling of such, I'll start doing exercises and things that strengthen my back muscles. But I do them off the bike.

Increasing your time on the bike significantly or increasing most any other exercise will almost always will bring up some issues. Sometimes it's just your body rebelling till it gets used to it, or other times something you might have to change like posture both in and out of the seat. Are you hunched over when you climb that hill with your back in a big tight curve? Straining in too big a gear?

Some do like to climb while standing, but I don't like to climb in high gears and my cadence while climbing is too fast to stand until I run out of gears and the grade gets over 10%. There are only a few places here to find that steep a climb and they are only briefly that steep. Maybe over in Vicksburg and Natchez, but not here.
Old 05-22-20, 10:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Uh, yup. IMO it's because your back needs strengthening. The posterior chain runs all the way up to our shoulder blades. I also try to hold my back straight on climbs and everywhere else. I tend to climb a lot on the tops to make that easier and to open my chest. To illustrate the posterior chain issue, the most successful single lift to work one's hams in the gym is the stiff legged deadlift. One can feel that all the way to the shoulder blades, hams, glutes, back. A fun quick thing one can do is to google "posterior chain" and choose Images.

So what I do is to try to strengthen my posterior chain in the gym. I used the back machine with heavy weights every visit, adjusting it so my knees are bent which works the glutes and hame, this kind of thing:

plus deadlifts, and other back work. Can't do that now, so I do floor work to the same end. Pushups, planks, side planks, twisting side planks. If you have anything handy for it, you can do kettle ball swings. A couple long sets of that will also make a difference. That's my strategy, just keep at it.
Standing for a bit does give your back a rest, though sooner or later the quads give out and no more standing. That only takes a couple thousand feet for me now, working on it.
Old 05-22-20, 12:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I was thinking about this today while climbing, how everyone knows that "bad lifting" can hurt your back, where you use your back to lift instead of your legs. Climbing is much the same way, you can injure your back just as easily from poor posture on climbs, as you can as you can lifting something heavy the wrong way, especially if you use bad form repetitively while lifting.

I like planks for my back, combined with avoiding stretching or extreme twisting motions. IMO, the back should not be stretched. From my experience, discs and vertabrae can become loose and misaligned from stretching. It should stand tall and strong, like a tree trunk, and not be loose and flexible like a bag of bones.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-22-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 04:35 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Try deadlifts and changing your sleeping (I am convinced that since I started sleeping with a pillow between my knees, my lower back issues have improved).

Also, go in a lower gear. Grinding uphill in a high gear definitely hits my lower back.
Old 05-22-20, 04:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
Over the years, I've experienced the same thing, but for me it seems to be a consequence of being too eager about upping my mileage (and not taking enough rest days). Ease off on the mileage, take some rest days, and your back should be fine.
Old 05-22-20, 05:02 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
As others have said: Improve your posture. Keep your back straighter. That is pull your belly in. You can do this while cycling, and even at other times, such as while walking. In the beginning, you may have to make a conscious effort to do it. After some time, it may come more naturally. You will find you are using some different muscles, and need to build up the strength of them.

Also abdominal strengthening exercises. You can do these by lying on your back and raising your legs. You can look on the internet for other abdominal exercises.
Old 05-22-20, 06:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
No. Unless you're asking if hills are a PITA. Then, yes.
Old 05-22-20, 08:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
By lower back pain do you mean spasms or just soreness from overuse? If it is spasms, you may want to consider seeing a DC for an adjustment. If normal soreness from exertion, Rest, Ice, Compression and Massage.
Old 05-22-20, 11:03 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
as a lower back pain casualty (bulging disc, sciatica, general discomfort. spasms), i find standing just to stand and count out
30 or 50 or 75 pedal revolution strokes every 5 mins or so helps on climbs over 3 miles.
Old 05-23-20, 12:24 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
as a lower back pain casualty (bulging disc, sciatica, general discomfort. spasms), i find standing just to stand and count out
30 or 50 or 75 pedal revolution strokes every 5 mins or so helps on climbs over 3 miles.
great. thank you for the input! i’ll try it
Old 05-23-20, 12:25 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
By lower back pain do you mean spasms or just soreness from overuse? If it is spasms, you may want to consider seeing a DC for an adjustment. If normal soreness from exertion, Rest, Ice, Compression and Massage.
just soreness. i assume just overuse as i’ve been riding so much more lately.
Old 05-23-20, 12:28 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by alo
As others have said: Improve your posture. Keep your back straighter. That is pull your belly in. You can do this while cycling, and even at other times, such as while walking. In the beginning, you may have to make a conscious effort to do it. After some time, it may come more naturally. You will find you are using some different muscles, and need to build up the strength of them.

Also abdominal strengthening exercises. You can do these by lying on your back and raising your legs. You can look on the internet for other abdominal exercises.

good ideas and thoughts. thanks. yah i do notice when climbing or even just riding flat (if i have the pain) if i suck in my stomach and strengthen my core in that moment, the pain subsides.
Old 05-23-20, 12:32 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Over the years, I've experienced the same thing, but for me it seems to be a consequence of being too eager about upping my mileage (and not taking enough rest days). Ease off on the mileage, take some rest days, and your back should be fine.
yah. i’ve been pretty bad about that honestly. i need to lay off slightly. i recently found Strava and have found so many amazing routes i wanna ride a ton clearly i need a break.
Old 05-23-20, 12:34 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Try deadlifts and changing your sleeping (I am convinced that since I started sleeping with a pillow between my knees, my lower back issues have improved).

Also, go in a lower gear. Grinding uphill in a high gear definitely hits my lower back.
good advice. thank you!
Old 05-23-20, 12:37 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I have not but while I was still going to the gym before the virus I was doing some yoga stretches specifically for my back due to a bad strain many years ago. you might to dig up 5 or 6 of those & try them for a cpl weeks to see if they help. they were easy to find
great ideas. thx! i’ll give a try
Old 05-23-20, 02:07 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know, my typical ride is up and down constant hills of 30, 40 and 50 feet, maybe an occasional 100 ft climb that's not steep.

For things like back pain, any time I get an inkling of such, I'll start doing exercises and things that strengthen my back muscles. But I do them off the bike.

Increasing your time on the bike significantly or increasing most any other exercise will almost always will bring up some issues. Sometimes it's just your body rebelling till it gets used to it, or other times something you might have to change like posture both in and out of the seat. Are you hunched over when you climb that hill with your back in a big tight curve? Straining in too big a gear?

Some do like to climb while standing, but I don't like to climb in high gears and my cadence while climbing is too fast to stand until I run out of gears and the grade gets over 10%. There are only a few places here to find that steep a climb and they are only briefly that steep. Maybe over in Vicksburg and Natchez, but not here.

yah, i must be slightly hunched over when climbing. I need to start standing a bit on climbs. it must be the increase of riding i've done that has caused this pain. hope i can sort it out soon..
Old 05-23-20, 07:03 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Start doing some exercises which strengthen your core and posterior chain muscles.
Old 05-23-20, 07:57 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I've recently been riding a lot more than ever before, for about the last month or 2. I ride a gravel bike and am doing on average 4 rides a week from 40-80km a ride and usually with elevations from 300 to over 1000meters (i ride in both the woods and roads). I do notice though that my lower back tends to hurt when climbing. I'm 47 and in very good condition. If anyone has such issues, how have you dealt with this?
After I got my bike fit my muscles were sore climbing until I dropped my saddle 3mm.

That was the case with a moderate effort seated pedaling at just 150W and at least 60 RPM.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 05-24-20 at 03:21 PM.