Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about fit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question about fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 12:25 PM
Nassa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about fit

Hello,

I decided to remove some spacers on my bike to see if I gained any flexibility and to see how it would feel. I went for a 100km ride and everything was ok, no pain, the only problem was that my upper thighs hit my lower stomach (belly) when I am in the drops is that normal? It isn't something that really bothers me, but I just wanted to ask. Here are a few pictures of me in the drops and on the holds. Sorry I wasn't wearing cycling specific attire.

Does the bike look like a good size for me?
I did get a fit included at the LBS but need some other opinions.

Thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2716[1].jpg (102.0 KB, 216 views)
IMG_2713[1].jpg (101.0 KB, 194 views)
IMG_2712[1].jpg (101.5 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Nassa; 08-02-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 12:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
If I have understood my own condition properly one has to be seriously skinny to not kick onesself in the stomach whilst ridin so low in the drops.
I'm starting to be really skinny and I still kick myself in the gut.
(193cm 93kg 84cm stomach girth)
Reason for this, i think, is because the bellyfat you have is more pronounced in a lower riding posture. Even a minor belly sags down when bending over. And so it's in the way of pedalling.

Could be that I'm completely wrong.
Old 08-02-12, 01:12 PM
richard_dupp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question is not how does it look, the question is how does it feel? Age (flexibility really), girth, leg length, arm length etc. are pretty much unique to each of us. If you feel good on it and it is comfortable, to the point the bike becomes an extension of you, then it fits.
Old 08-02-12, 01:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Self flogging while riding in the drops which maybe deserved due to overeating is not a recommended practice. You are likely a combination of flexible guy with a spare tire and why you have this predicament. By contrast, my joints freeze up before I self flog myself in the drops. I am not uber flexible but am a flat belly. We each have to find our happy medium. So until you lose some weight either continue to beat yourself in the drops or raise your handlebar slightly until you drop some weight.
Old 08-02-12, 05:36 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
The fit looks maybe OK.

It's hard to tell from those photos but I wonder if a longer stem might be needed.

The deal is, though, if your center of mass on the bike is right you will be able to sit up no hands easy, go from the hoods to the drops, or vice versa, with both hands off and no particular hurry.

Can you ride it no hands and steer it? With confidence?
Old 08-02-12, 07:15 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Common problem with a bike set up with a low bar. Even more common with lots of set back. Ive never had this problem and ride with 100mm of drop to the tops. I can ride full power in the drops with bent arms and not hit my chest but then I am 6'2" and 160# very flexible and people are ALWAYS saying I look skinny. If you are heavier than that then you might have to put up with it.

you say you are comfortable so I wouldnt change anything. Just enjoy the aero benefit of a lower bar.

Last edited by lazerzxr; 08-02-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 08:12 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might check you saddle height. It looks like it might be too high -- you're leg looks too straight with the pedal at the bottom.
Old 08-02-12, 08:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
A free fit over the Internets is worth what you paid for it... nothing.

Seriously, you can get general concepts explained to you, but nothing this specific. I'd talk to a real fitter, who can observe your entire fit from a variety of angles.
Old 08-02-12, 08:32 PM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size frame is that and how tall are you. It looks a bit small, IMO
Old 08-02-12, 09:25 PM
Nassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinNY
What size frame is that and how tall are you. It looks a bit small, IMO
It is a size small, effective top tube 54 cm.
I am 5 feet 8 inches.
Old 08-02-12, 10:10 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think most of the comments are spot on...

1. Saddle looks too high
2. Stem too short
3. Seat too far forward

You seem to be in a pretty upright position...so I'm a little confused as to why your knees are hitting your stomach.
Old 08-03-12, 04:44 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexi01
I think most of the comments are spot on...

1. Saddle looks too high
2. Stem too short
3. Seat too far forward

You seem to be in a pretty upright position...so I'm a little confused as to why your knees are hitting your stomach.
+1 Good eye.
Old 08-03-12, 05:24 AM
Nassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
The fit looks maybe OK.

It's hard to tell from those photos but I wonder if a longer stem might be needed.

The deal is, though, if your center of mass on the bike is right you will be able to sit up no hands easy, go from the hoods to the drops, or vice versa, with both hands off and no particular hurry.

Can you ride it no hands and steer it? With confidence?
Yes I can ride with no hands and move slightly from side to side.
How does one know a longer stem is needed other than trying of course?
Old 08-03-12, 05:33 AM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nassa
Yes I can ride with no hands and move slightly from side to side.
How does one know a longer stem is needed other than trying of course?
I love it, we are now doing internet bike fits with no information other than a poster who says he is comfortable for 100km rides and HALF a photo. We really are getting impressive now. Ask an innocent question about knees touching a clearly overweight belly (only slightly no offence) and leave needing a new stem for that perfect 'Lance' fit

Splendid

so longer stem, lower seat and more setback - yes absolutely that will cure the knees hitting the belly, no doubt at all, honest gov. Who knows you may even turn that painless 100km into something much less enjoyable too Result!

Anyway enough sillyness...

Nassa are those the shoes you normally ride in? Only that could effect the seat height appearance, also were you riding with any effort in those photos as that will effect it too - along with the rest of your stance on the bike...

Last edited by lazerzxr; 08-03-12 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 05:39 AM
Nassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I love it, we are now doing internet bike fits with no information other than a poster who says he is comfortable and HALF a photo. We really are getting impressive now. Ask an innocent question about knees touching a clearly overweight belly (no offence) and leave needing a new stem for that perfect 'Lance' fit

Splendid
No offense taken, but I don't see myself as overweight maybe a little spare tire and that is the reason why I ask. Height weight 5 feet 8 inches approx 172 pounds.

To reply to the saddle height, according to my lbs I have the correct angle of knee bend with my cycling shoes.
Old 08-03-12, 06:02 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No offense taken, but I don't see myself as overweight maybe a little spare tire and that is the reason why I ask. Height weight 5 feet 8 inches approx 172 pounds.

To reply to the saddle height, according to my lbs I have the correct angle of knee bend with my cycling shoes.
Ok, the next time you come before the "fitting panel", please be in the proper uniform.
Old 08-03-12, 06:05 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I love it, we are now doing internet bike fits with no information other than a poster who says he is comfortable for 100km rides and HALF a photo. We really are getting impressive now. Ask an innocent question about knees touching a clearly overweight belly (only slightly no offence) and leave needing a new stem for that perfect 'Lance' fit

Splendid

so longer stem, lower seat and more setback - yes absolutely that will cure the knees hitting the belly, no doubt at all, honest gov. Who knows you may even turn that painless 100km into something much less enjoyable too Result!

Anyway enough sillyness...

Nassa are those the shoes you normally ride in? Only that could effect the seat height appearance, also were you riding with any effort in those photos as that will effect it too - along with the rest of your stance on the bike...
Pretty obvious the bike is too small or stem is too short. Upper arm to torso angle in the drops is < 90 degrees.
Old 08-03-12, 06:12 AM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious - how long are your crank arms? I'm 5'7" and ride 170's on all my bikes except one and it is 172.5. Remember, the longer the cranks the higher your legs have to go to complete a rotation. Just a thought. Al
Old 08-03-12, 06:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Pretty obvious the bike is too small or stem is too short. Upper arm to torso angle in the drops is < 90 degrees.
That was my impression as well, but its also really impossible to fit someone to a bike with partial pictures over the internet.

I think the point for the OP is that there's some consensus here that he might do better with a longer stem. Thus it would be reasonable for the OP to try a longer stem. A good shop often has a few old stems around that you can borrow to try different lengths, before you decide to buy a particular size.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-03-12, 06:28 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Ha. "Big George" Hincapie is 6'3" for the same weight. That's why a favorite saying here is "You're too fat for this sport"
Old 08-03-12, 06:56 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Ha. "Big George" Hincapie is 6'3" for the same weight. That's why a favorite saying here is "You're too fat for this sport"
Actually, I have run across a few fat guys that can really ride...especially on the flats where their weight is less of a detriment. I do try to test them in the hills however.
Believe the point to the OP is...having blub around the mid section and riding a small bike for your size as maybe a top racer would with shortish headtube is not a recommended formula. To me the worse combination of fit is small bike + short cockpit...double kiss of death. Fat guys should ride a bit more upright to keep from self flagellation. But if developing a higher pain threshold to ride faster, this maybe the best formula.
Old 08-03-12, 08:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
There is a lot of knowledge and experience represented here, but I have to disagree. In my opinion, from what I can see there's nothing wrong with the bike's size or the rider's position.

Common sense is that soft tissue interference depends on how much you're bent forward, and the angle of your hips and pelvis. Suppose you tilt pelvis forward, to open up the angle?
Old 08-03-12, 10:24 AM
Nassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
There is a lot of knowledge and experience represented here, but I have to disagree. In my opinion, from what I can see there's nothing wrong with the bike's size or the rider's position.

Common sense is that soft tissue interference depends on how much you're bent forward, and the angle of your hips and pelvis. Suppose you tilt pelvis forward, to open up the angle?
Thank you, I assume if the fit was off I would feel pain somewhere, but that is not the case. I spoke to my lbs fitter and he confirmed that their is nothing wrong with the fit but more my riding style, flat back, rather than arched back. He said we can try switching to a 110 mm stem but I have to try and arch my back. Does the stem brand make a difference? Fsa vs race face vs etc?
Old 08-03-12, 11:05 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thank you, I assume if the fit was off I would feel pain somewhere, but that is not the case. I spoke to my lbs fitter and he confirmed that their is nothing wrong with the fit but more my riding style, flat back, rather than arched back. He said we can try switching to a 110 mm stem but I have to try and arch my back. Does the stem brand make a difference? Fsa vs race face vs etc?
Not really. Pain should not be ultimate determinant of proper fit, optimized comfort and speed should be. Of course pain is worse case scenario if fit is way off. My personal view is your fit is off. You may like it and not feel pain which is good but you join probably the 50%or more roadbikers with bad fit. Fit affects form as it were and not the other way around. A cramped cockpit for example promotes a hump back and bad posture for the simple reason that elongating the back and rotating the pelvis forward properly will make an already short cockpit unbearable. That is the predominant reason you see such bad posture on cramped cockpit bikes. By constrast on longer cockpit bikes you have room to stretch your back and ride with better posture.
I would say 80% of the advice coming out of local bike shops when it comes to fit is bogus. Further at least 50% of bike shops can't tune a bike properly. So what are bike shops good for? Selling bikes and equipment. There is no shortcut to getting good at anything. It generally takes more effort than people are willing to put in and why average is just that.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-03-12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 12:50 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altbark
Curious - how long are your crank arms? I'm 5'7" and ride 170's on all my bikes except one and it is 172.5. Remember, the longer the cranks the higher your legs have to go to complete a rotation. Just a thought. Al
2.5mm? Really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.