Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stem for a Bob Jackson

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stem for a Bob Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-22, 03:23 PM
CityParkCruiser

Bikes: 1982 Woodrup Giro Touring, 1970 Peugeot PX7 velo de ville,1981 Trek 650B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Stem for a Bob Jackson

I've been working through some stem sizing on my new-to-me Bob Jackson, and I'm trying to decide between a couple options for a nice quality stem to end up with. I'm not necessarily a weight weenie, but I do like that it's a light bike (24 lbs or so) but I also love the lugs and the artistry, so the right stem *might* not be the lightest.

Here's some of the choices I'm debating: 1) SR Royal - I've got an SR Custom stem now that is the right size, I think, and there's an option for an SR Royal that looks to be much more nicely finished. 2) GB forged stem - it's Britsh, like the bike, and in reasonably good condition. I like the big GB on the side of it. 3) Bridgestone lugged stem - it's expensive, but is the right handlebar size and length. No idea on weight or if it's similar quality to a Nitto lugged stem. 4) Nitto lugged stem: it's expensive and currently unavailable, but gorgeous. I'm not wild about shimming the bars to make it work, though.

For reference, I've got the Compass Rando bars from Nitto. The bike came with a Nitto Pearl, which was nice, but the wrong length. I'm not averse to another Nitto either.

What are all of your thoughts on the different stems on offer? Pic of bike on a recent ride for attention. As a side note, that's an old Technomic I fit earlier, but didn't like.
Old 09-15-22, 09:09 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 932 Times in 447 Posts
If you need that much stem showing, it'll be Nitto or a lesser quality option. Technomic is the highest quality option without going custom. VO offers a couple options that are aesthetically pleasing, but not as strong/safe as the Nitto. If you're looking for the blingiest option, then look at the GrandBois fillet brazed quil stem which is made by Nitto.
Old 09-15-22, 09:26 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 2,092 Times in 1,145 Posts
I think 25.4 Nitto Technomic Delux are available in 100mm but if you need less reach, you will need a shim. I like stems and bars to match.
Old 09-15-22, 04:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 6,536 Times in 3,750 Posts
Originally Posted by CityParkCruiser
I've been working through some stem sizing on my new-to-me Bob Jackson, and I'm trying to decide between a couple options for a nice quality stem to end up with. I'm not necessarily a weight weenie, but I do like that it's a light bike (24 lbs or so) but I also love the lugs and the artistry, so the right stem *might* not be the lightest.

Here's some of the choices I'm debating: 1) SR Royal - I've got an SR Custom stem now that is the right size, I think, and there's an option for an SR Royal that looks to be much more nicely finished. 2) GB forged stem - it's Britsh, like the bike, and in reasonably good condition. I like the big GB on the side of it. 3) Bridgestone lugged stem - it's expensive, but is the right handlebar size and length. No idea on weight or if it's similar quality to a Nitto lugged stem. 4) Nitto lugged stem: it's expensive and currently unavailable, but gorgeous. I'm not wild about shimming the bars to make it work, though.

For reference, I've got the Compass Rando bars from Nitto. The bike came with a Nitto Pearl, which was nice, but the wrong length. I'm not averse to another Nitto either.

What are all of your thoughts on the different stems on offer? Pic of bike on a recent ride for attention. As a side note, that's an old Technomic I fit earlier, but didn't like.
This is a VO Grand Cru, I think its plenty strong but may not be long enough, hence the extended HT on this.

Far and away the best reasonable price option.

It was exactly the aesthetic I wanted.

Old 09-15-22, 04:39 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,026 Posts
The proportions don't look too good when you have this much stem showing. I think you'd be better served with a stem that angles up:
Old 09-15-22, 05:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 6,536 Times in 3,750 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The proportions don't look too good when you have this much stem showing. I think you'd be better served with a stem that angles up:
Whatever do you mean?

No way I would ever put an angle up on one of these.

Going to look kludged either way so......