Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacement disc wheel/wheelset 700c

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 09:46 PM
dawes56

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

Bikeforums ate my first attempt at posting this question, saying I was not logged in..so here is the short version of my story...

I need a new rear wheel for my 2006 Kona Dew Deluxe. At first it was just one eyelet that had small cracks around it, but after today's ride
I noticed another one... not sure I will ride it again with this wheel. Current rim is a SUN MZ14.

So I need a 700 DISC Hub rear wheel, or perhaps a wheelset (just to keep things matching). The 29er wheelsets I have found on the web all seem to have (understandably) wide rims. Currently running 37mm tires, might want to go to 32's in the future, but that is just an idea for now. I think I want wheels with rims having an internal width no more that 19mm.

Anyway.. anyone have any thoughts/experience?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 08-05-13, 02:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Maybe something using a Sun Rims CR-18?
A pretty good meat & potatoes rim for a reasonable price.
Old 08-05-13, 04:20 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This will tell you want range of rim widths you can use:
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_in...dimensions#rim

Check around on eBay,you'll occasionally find takeoff wheelsets. If you can stand to have mismatched wheels,you could always just get the rear rebuilt with a new rim. If there are any co-ops/bike kitchens in your area,they could teach you how to build a wheel yourself.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-06-13, 07:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
How about an Alex Adventurer, 36 hole, 18mm width(internal). Good stout rim, 36 spoke for strength and rigidity, reasonable price.

Just reuse the old rims as winter wheels until they explode.
Old 08-06-13, 11:36 AM
dawes56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I briefly entertained the idea of rebuilding it myself, but have opted instead to get a replacement wheel from the shop where I bought the bike. He is ordering me a new wheel and will transfer over the cassette, brake disc, and tire and tube, all at a very reasonable price. The rim is will be a 19mm internal width ZAC19.. basically a generic wheel, but the bike already has generic wheels, and I am a generic kind of guy, or is that geriatric... anyway.. wheel should be in tomorrow.

I did note three other spoke holes beginning to fail on the rear wheel... no sign of problems on the front (yet).

Rainy week here anyway, but Friday should be good, along with the weekend, so I will be able to try the new wheel soon,,, as long as it is round and rolls it will be ok....

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-06-13, 01:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You want to pay hand built custom prices or machine built low investment consumable ones?
Old 08-12-13, 07:40 AM
dawes56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
So to close this out, the LBS where I bought the bike in '06 ordered me a replacement wheel-- generic hub, ZAC19 rim, and sold it to me at cost..and switched over the cassette, disc rotor, tire, and tube to the new wheel. Upon installation, I had to recenter the disc caliper, but the derailleur adjustment (shifting/limit screws) were fine. The wheel is 36 spokes, replacing a 32 spoke wheel.

It rides just fine... first 25 feet I got some spoke "pinging", but it has been silent since then. Trueness seems to be fine.
So, I am happy with the new wheel...and I still may rebuild the old one with a new rim and spokes, even if just for the educational value.

Pete

PS. -- Wanderer... just having rims called "Adventurer" would make me want to ride even more....ZAC19 is "boring"!!
Old 08-12-13, 01:17 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
fyi, the trend is towards wider rims, even for skinny tires. velocity suggests putting 23mm racing tires on their A23 rim (which is 23mm outer width, about 19mm inner) to get that 'tubular' style ride.
Old 08-12-13, 11:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
fyi, the trend is towards wider rims, even for skinny tires. velocity suggests putting 23mm racing tires on their A23 rim (which is 23mm outer width, about 19mm inner) to get that 'tubular' style ride.
I built a set of M13-II's to replace the 23mm (external) rims on my Hybrid, since I was running skinny (26mm) tires.
Maybe that's not the trend, but I'm more than happy with my decision. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done a 70 mile day on my old rims. Previous best with the old rims was 50 miles 2 years ago, when I was a mere 63!
Old 02-23-14, 08:57 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know it's an old thread, but TreeFortBikes.com is a very good place to shop for Handspun built wheels...very good deal. I will also suggest Velocity rims as a very good value/bomb proof option.