Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Had a wreck

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Had a wreck

Old 09-26-16, 09:06 AM
Wildrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a wreck

I had my first wreck in 32 years this past Saturday. I was 6 miles into my ride when I drifted onto the concrete curb adjacent to the asphalt road. I was looking to my left when I drifted off the road. As in most places they pave over roads till there is a substantial drop to the concrete curb, well at least in Mobile, Al. When I went to get back on road I did not turn the wheel sharp enough and the front slid out. I hit on my left side and took some damage, but my Giro Air Attack helmet saved my head, although I do have some ringing in my left ear. My jersey protected my left shoulder, so it is slightly scraped. My left arm is scraped. My left thigh has a lot of swelling and is bruised, it looks like I have a Thunder thigh, and I lost some meat on my ring finger on right hand. All this said I climbed on my bike and rode another 46 miles. I think the stress from the wreck affected my sugar (I'm Diabetic) because I drank the two bottles of liquid I had plus I had to stop and refill them at about mile 50. Usually two bottles is plenty with supplements. I will be back on my bike Tuesday morning.
On a side note I had just got released from Doc on the Friday to ride after right shoulder surgery, thankfully I landed on left. I also was in my LBS Friday and the subject of wrecks got brought up. I usually don't say anything about such things because I know what happens, well I did, and it happened. LOL I'll keep my mouth shut from now on though.
Old 09-26-16, 09:46 AM
Farby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heal up soon!
Old 09-26-16, 09:54 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heal well and soon, Wildrat.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 09-26-16, 09:57 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Way to bounce back.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-26-16, 10:12 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Stuff happens and we deal with it. Just proof that You're tougher than that wreck.
Old 09-26-16, 11:12 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
good on you for getting back on the bike and finishing
Old 09-26-16, 11:43 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im glad youre ok other than some small injuries.

Cycling is fun but theres always that risk. We just have to be prepared ( first aide kit, etc).
Old 09-26-16, 11:51 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad it wasn't serious.
Old 09-26-16, 01:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I have been riding as long as you but kissing the pavement every few years. No big deal...so far.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-26-16, 02:04 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
wait, you hit your head hard enough for the helmet to save your brain but you kept riding on it?
Old 09-26-16, 02:15 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
wait, you hit your head hard enough for the helmet to save your brain but you kept riding on it?
Definitely thank the helmet and then throw it out. Time for a new brain bucket. They serve their purpose like crumple zones in a car, but also like the crumple zones they are one and done.
Old 09-26-16, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
Definitely thank the helmet and then throw it out.

Or first check to see if Giro has a crash replacement policy that requires you to send the damaged helmet back to take advantage of it.
Old 09-26-16, 02:42 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or first check to see if Giro has a crash replacement policy that requires you to send the damaged helmet back to take advantage of it.
Good point. I know they do have a trade in policy with a discount on a new Giro even if the old helmet was never crashed.

In case you hadn't heard, helmet makers say your helmet is only good for about two years before it should be replaced even if never crashed.

Except Bern, they claim three years for theirs.
Old 09-26-16, 02:47 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildrat
My left arm is scraped. My left thigh has a lot of swelling and is bruised, it looks like I have a Thunder thigh, and I lost some meat on my ring finger on right hand. All this said I climbed on my bike and rode another 46 miles.
Wow.
Old 09-26-16, 03:02 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Yes, I looked the helmet over very well. The Air Attack is a hard shell helmet. I know with my motorcycles you would look for another helmet. This air attack is not dented or cracked just scraped up.

Thank Everyone for your well wishes. I will be back on my bike tomorrow for a group ride. Yes, it could have been much worse accident. I could have gotten run over while lying in the street wondering if I hurt my carbon frame. LOL
I have learned a couple lessons from this. If this type scenario happens again just stop the bike and put it back on the rode, of course I say that now but will I listen to myself, maybe, maybe not. I will tomorrow anyway. Nah, I'm not that hard headed. The other is don't look left. If in England, don't look right. LOL What's odd is I usually can hold a straight line when looking around. I guess it was just lack of concentration and I got bit!
My scrapes likely would have been fine but they put shell in their asphalt here.
Again Thanks To All!
Old 09-26-16, 03:06 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I looked the helmet over very well. The Air Attack is a hard shell helmet. I know with my motorcycles you would look for another helmet. This air attack is not dented or cracked just scraped up.

Thank Everyone for your well wishes. I will be back on my bike tomorrow for a group ride. Yes, it could have been much worse accident. I could have gotten run over while lying in the street wondering if I hurt my carbon frame. LOL
I have learned a couple lessons from this. If this type scenario happens again just stop the bike and put it back on the rode, of course I say that now but will I listen to myself, maybe, maybe not. I will tomorrow anyway. Nah, I'm not that hard headed. The other is don't look left. If in England, don't look right. LOL What's odd is I usually can hold a straight line when looking around. I guess it was just lack of concentration and I got bit!
My scrapes likely would have been fine but they put shell in their asphalt here.
Again Thanks To All!
Seriously, even if the helmet looks fine, don't use it again!

They are not designed to sustain multiple impacts.

Is It Time To Replace Your Bike Helmet? ? BikeFAT

Have you crashed while wearing your helmet?

EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) Foam helmets are the recommended type for cycling
Damage is not always this obvious.

When most people purchase a helmet, they should be educated that they are only good for one crash. The reason for this is that the EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) foam that modern bicycle helmets are made from absorbs impacts by allowing the walls of the foam cells within the foam to crush, slowing the head down and spreading the impact over a greater area. Once the EPS foam has crushed, the helmet is no longer able to absorb more impacts. This is the reason why we need to replace our helmet after we crash, and it is also the reason why we recommend EPS foam helmets.

Helmets that contain soft foam liners to protect the head will compress and store energy (picture a coil spring), rather than dissipate it. On rebound, much of that energy is sent back into the head. Though they do offer some protection in the form of a hard shell protecting the head from being wounded, they are detrimental to the rider by increasing risk of concussions. If you are currently riding with that style of helmet, I recommend replacing it with an EPS foam one.

You probably won’t need a new helmet after every crash. A tiny tap on the head won’t hurt much, but if the impact to your head was enough to make you feel that the helmet actually did something, then do yourself a favor and replace it before your next ride, even if the damage isn’t really visible.

When to Replace a Helmet?

Did you crash in it?
For starters, most people are aware that you must replace a helmet after any crash where your head hit. The foam part of a helmet is made for one-time use, and after crushing once it is no longer as protective as it was, even if it still looks intact. Bear in mind that if the helmet did its job most people would tell you that they did not even hit their head, or did not hit their head that hard. And the thin shells on most helmets now tend to hide any dents in the foam. But if you can see marks on the shell or measure any foam crush at all, replace the helmet. (Helmets made of EPP foam do recover, but there are few EPP helmets on the market. Yours is EPS or EPU unless otherwise labeled.)
You can also crack the helmet foam or damage it by dropping the helmet on a hard surface. The cracks may be small and hard to see, so you need to look carefully. Cracks in the foam always require replacement of the helmet.

You may be reluctant to replace a helmet that looks almost as good as new, but if you did hit, you don't want to take chances on where you will hit next time. If the foam is cracked under the thin shell, it will be more likely to fly apart in your next crash. Many manufacturers will replace crashed helmets for a nominal fee, and most will also inspect crashed helmets to see if they need replacement. Call them if you are in doubt. For contact info check our list of manufacturers. (You can also ask them if they think the advice on this page is valid!**
Old 09-26-16, 03:12 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that info! I will wear my other Giro till I can get another Air Attack! They should put info like that in with the packaging for new helmets. I mean a motorcycle helmet I know to replace, never really gave the bike helmet a lot of thought. I know had it been a softshell there would be no doubt about replacing it because it would have been ate up, and I would not look GQ.
Old 09-26-16, 03:13 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point. I know they do have a trade in policy with a discount on a new Giro even if the old helmet was never crashed.

In case you hadn't heard, helmet makers say your helmet is only good for about two years before it should be replaced even if never crashed.

Except Bern, they claim three years for theirs.
I'll have to see if Giro has this type of warranty.
Old 09-26-16, 03:18 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to see if Giro has this type of warranty.
The Air Attack is a $120 helmet retail so I'm sure it would qualify for this:

Cycling FAQs

Q: DOES GIRO HAVE A CRASH REPLACEMENT PROGRAM?
If your Giro helmet has been involved in an accident, you may be eligible for a discount on a new Giro replacement helmet.

To learn if your helmet qualifies, please email us at giro-consumersupport@giro.com with the below information:

· Picture(s) of the damaged Giro helmet
· Giro helmet model and serial number
· Giro helmet size and color
· Giro helmet manufacture date
· Your full name
· Your phone number
· Your shipping address

This Crash Replacement Program is available to US customers only. For Giro customers outside of the US, please email us for information on a program that is applicable to you.
Old 09-26-16, 03:32 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Air Attack is a $120 helmet retail so I'm sure it would qualify for this:

Cycling FAQs

Q: DOES GIRO HAVE A CRASH REPLACEMENT PROGRAM?
If your Giro helmet has been involved in an accident, you may be eligible for a discount on a new Giro replacement helmet.

To learn if your helmet qualifies, please email us at giro-consumersupport@giro.com with the below information:

· Picture(s) of the damaged Giro helmet
· Giro helmet model and serial number
· Giro helmet size and color
· Giro helmet manufacture date
· Your full name
· Your phone number
· Your shipping address

This Crash Replacement Program is available to US customers only. For Giro customers outside of the US, please email us for information on a program that is applicable to you.
I just sent the email, we'll see what they have to say. I was actually unaware of the crash replacement policy till it was mentioned earlier. Now, just to wait and see what they offer.
Old 09-26-16, 04:27 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Glad you're ok!
Any pics?
Old 09-27-16, 05:47 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Glad you're ok!
Any pics?
Pics of my wounds?

Going riding this morning. I just put my bibs on, wow it compressed the swollen area on my thigh. It was a bit painful. LOL I think the compression is causing the swelling to go down, and the pain has eased also after a few minutes. Well time to go. Let me know on the pics. I do have some, but did not think anyone would be interested.
Old 09-27-16, 03:26 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro is offering me a 30% discount on a helmet from their site with their crash recovery program.
Old 09-27-16, 03:34 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro is offering me a 30% discount on a helmet from their site with their crash recovery program.
I think that's pretty reasonable. It's more than they offer on the trade in program for intact but old helmets, I think that's only 25%.

Keep in mind that the Air Attack is a good looking helmet but you don't need to spend that much on a helmet if you don't want to. Their base model will protect you just as well as their top end one will, unless you believe that the new MIPS models offered by multiple makers are worth the extra cost.

If you do believe that MIPS is worth the upgrade, this would be a good time and a good way to get into that with the discount.

Either way, I would consider whatever you paid for that Air Attack as money well spent, just the same as you might consider money spent on a good meal or a great vacation. Helmets are consumable items whose sole function is to allow you to keep living in the event of a head impact, and that one clearly did its job
Old 09-27-16, 05:40 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that's pretty reasonable. It's more than they offer on the trade in program for intact but old helmets, I think that's only 25%.

Keep in mind that the Air Attack is a good looking helmet but you don't need to spend that much on a helmet if you don't want to. Their base model will protect you just as well as their top end one will, unless you believe that the new MIPS models offered by multiple makers are worth the extra cost.

If you do believe that MIPS is worth the upgrade, this would be a good time and a good way to get into that with the discount.

Either way, I would consider whatever you paid for that Air Attack as money well spent, just the same as you might consider money spent on a good meal or a great vacation. Helmets are consumable items whose sole function is to allow you to keep living in the event of a head impact, and that one clearly did its job
Thank You! Yes, I kinda like my Air Attack, it is not a MIPS. My Air Attack is the older version, although the new version looks about the same, not unless you want one with the shield. I don't need a shield, but I do like the standard Air Attack. The discount code is good for a year. I won't be waiting no where near that long but it is nice that they keep the code good for that long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.