Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kona bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kona bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 08:18 AM
Archerobx

Bikes: Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona bike

Local shop has a Kona Esatto for $600. I'm going to look tomorrow. Anyone have experience with that bike?
Thank you
Ryan

https://www.konaworld.com/esatto.cfm
Old 09-27-16, 08:29 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archerobx
Local shop has a Kona Esatto for $600. I'm going to look tomorrow. Anyone have experience with that bike?
Thank you
Ryan

KONA BIKES | ROAD | ESATTO | Esatto
Are you looking at that because you specifically want an endurance road bike, or are you looking because it's $600?

Esatto wouldn't make my short list for the first (because it's aluminum - the titanium version would), but that's really a lot of bike for $600 new.
Old 09-27-16, 08:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I wouldn't discount AL. My Masi is AL w/CF fork and stays. Truly an awesome ride.
Old 09-27-16, 08:46 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I haven't any experience with that bike, but man, at $600.00 I'd sure be testing it out if I were in the market for a good priced endurance road bike.

I do have an AL framed Kona (Jake the Snake) and in most ways it's a pleasure to ride, though it's can be a bit harsh on rough surfaces. But by all means, check it out!
Old 09-27-16, 10:35 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I wouldn't discount AL. My Masi is AL w/CF fork and stays. Truly an awesome ride.
Certainly, I'm not discounting AL in general, just saying it wouldn't be on my personal short list. Matter of preference, I like steel and Ti better, which is not to say others don't find AL to be wonderful.

I actually have a Masi Alare, AL with carbon fork, that I keep in Chicago at my cousin's house that I ride when I visit and let him use the rest of the time (I ride 150 miles a week and he rides 150 miles a year, maybe).
Old 09-27-16, 10:37 AM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is last year's rental. I'm looking to upgrade from a huffy break away and a Kibuk.
I started doing triathlons and thought this would be good . But I know nothing about bikes
Old 09-27-16, 10:38 AM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is wrong with aluminum?
Old 09-27-16, 10:55 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is wrong with aluminum?
1. Least forgiving of all frame materials, because framemakers have to use very large tubes compared to steel or Ti to gain adequate strength to meet the needs of the stresses and forces of bike riding. So road chatter, microvibrations, etc. build up with AL frames causing a harsh ride, because the frame tubing has to be so overbuilt compared to steel or Ti. It's why you will rarely see a fork made of AL, even on AL bikes they will use steel or carbon for the fork even at the entry level. The difference in ride quality is often referred to as the "magic carpet" ride of steel. However... if you run wide cushy tires at low PSI, you can affect the ride much more than the frame material. If you must run 23's at 150 PSI, IMO you want steel if you are riding much more than a couple hours at a time.
2. Aluminum has a failure pattern that builds up over time, meaning every bump and ding your frame takes is causing permanent damage which builds up over time. When AL does fail, it cannot be repaired. Steel and Ti both spring back from damage without any lasting effect until a certain threshhold is passed, at which point they dent or fracture, but even then steel can be repaired relatively easily. Ti CAN be repaired but it's not easy and requires an expert while they say any village blacksmith can repair steel. That's why they say steel and Ti bikes are forever bikes that should outlive the owner. AL, not so much.

You can pick out a steel or Ti frame from far away just because they will generally have very skinny tubes (except for steel touring bikes) vs AL and carbon fiber bikes, which will have the larger tubing at least on the main triangle. AL CAN be made lighter than a steel bike, but just because it's AL does not also always mean that it is lighter than a steel bike.

Steel's ride quality, durability and ability to be repaired by non-expert bike builders is why the vast majority of bikes intended for long self supported touring are steel rather than AL.
Old 09-27-16, 11:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
Certainly, I'm not discounting AL in general, just saying it wouldn't be on my personal short list. Matter of preference, I like steel and Ti better, which is not to say others don't find AL to be wonderful.

I actually have a Masi Alare, AL with carbon fork, that I keep in Chicago at my cousin's house that I ride when I visit and let him use the rest of the time (I ride 150 miles a week and he rides 150 miles a year, maybe).
I was trying to say what you just said...that choice of frame material is a personal matter. My other bike is a steel Guru and I really like both bikes and both materials.
Old 09-27-16, 12:21 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I was trying to say what you just said...that choice of frame material is a personal matter. My other bike is a steel Guru and I really like both bikes and both materials.
Guru made awesome bikes, real shame about their going bankrupt.

But at least their name and logo will live on in their bike fit system.
Old 09-27-16, 12:39 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Guru made awesome bikes, real shame about their going bankrupt.

But at least their name and logo will live on in their bike fit system.
Not to derail the thread, but Guru will rise from the ashes in a different form....out of Arkansas: HIA Velo revives Guru's carbon manufacturing in Arkansas w/ all-star team - Bikerumor
Old 09-27-16, 02:32 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in yalls opinion; would this be a good starter bike for someone getting into triathlons?

As for the way the ride feels, I do not know what a good ride feels like.

Thank you s again for yalls help
Old 09-27-16, 02:40 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in yalls opinion; would this be a good starter bike for someone getting into triathlons?

As for the way the ride feels, I do not know what a good ride feels like.

Thank you s again for yalls help
There are tri-specific bikes that have steeper seat tube and head tube angles to minimize your quad use and maximize your glute use while cycling to preserve your quads for the run.

I can't imagine you would be able to get a new one for that price though.

That geometry was a direct result of the shortening of the cycling part of triathlons. Previously when the cycling part was a full century, that geometry wasn't worth the sacrifice in comfort. But now with the cycling part of triathlons only 25 miles on the Olympic version, you can get away with tri specific geometry.

So I guess the answer depends on how seriously you are competing in them. I would guess that the racers winning those events will be riding tri bikes and not endurance geometry bikes like that Esatto, which sits you up way more than a tri bike would.
Old 09-27-16, 03:03 PM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are tri-specific bikes that have steeper seat tube and head tube angles to minimize your quad use and maximize your glute use while cycling to preserve your quads for the run.

I can't imagine you would be able to get a new one for that price though.

That geometry was a direct result of the shortening of the cycling part of triathlons. Previously when the cycling part was a full century, that geometry wasn't worth the sacrifice in comfort. But now with the cycling part of triathlons only 25 miles on the Olympic version, you can get away with tri specific geometry.

So I guess the answer depends on how seriously you are competing in them. I would guess that the racers winning those events will be riding tri bikes and not endurance geometry bikes like that Esatto, which sits you up way more than a tri bike would.

I would like to do an iron man in 2 years. Currently I've done couple sprints. As for winning or placing, that won't happen unless everyone else gets food poisoning.
Old 09-27-16, 03:38 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to do an iron man in 2 years. Currently I've done couple sprints. As for winning or placing, that won't happen unless everyone else gets food poisoning.
That's a good enough bike to serve that purpose, IMO, as long as you understand that frame material aside, it's not what a competitive triathlete would likely choose for competition just based on the relaxed, endurance geometry.
Old 09-27-16, 04:49 PM
rms13

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
1. Least forgiving of all frame materials, because framemakers have to use very large tubes compared to steel or Ti to gain adequate strength to meet the needs of the stresses and forces of bike riding. So road chatter, microvibrations, etc. build up with AL frames causing a harsh ride, because the frame tubing has to be so overbuilt compared to steel or Ti. It's why you will rarely see a fork made of AL, even on AL bikes they will use steel or carbon for the fork even at the entry level. The difference in ride quality is often referred to as the "magic carpet" ride of steel. However... if you run wide cushy tires at low PSI, you can affect the ride much more than the frame material. If you must run 23's at 150 PSI, IMO you want steel if you are riding much more than a couple hours at a time.
2. Aluminum has a failure pattern that builds up over time, meaning every bump and ding your frame takes is causing permanent damage which builds up over time. When AL does fail, it cannot be repaired. Steel and Ti both spring back from damage without any lasting effect until a certain threshhold is passed, at which point they dent or fracture, but even then steel can be repaired relatively easily. Ti CAN be repaired but it's not easy and requires an expert while they say any village blacksmith can repair steel. That's why they say steel and Ti bikes are forever bikes that should outlive the owner. AL, not so much.

You can pick out a steel or Ti frame from far away just because they will generally have very skinny tubes (except for steel touring bikes) vs AL and carbon fiber bikes, which will have the larger tubing at least on the main triangle. AL CAN be made lighter than a steel bike, but just because it's AL does not also always mean that it is lighter than a steel bike.

Steel's ride quality, durability and ability to be repaired by non-expert bike builders is why the vast majority of bikes intended for long self supported touring are steel rather than AL.
Sorry but just about everything you say here is outdated by about 10 years
Old 09-27-16, 04:50 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Sorry but just about everything you say here is outdated by about 10 years
OK, probably just goes to show that I'm an old fart now.
Old 09-27-16, 05:16 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are just starting and price is an issue, than its a good bike. It is not a tri specific bike but that doesn't matter. You can definitely compete with that bike and do fine. In most tri races you see all kinds of bikes. I plan on using a new steel kona bike I am building to do some tris. Would my carbon race bike be better? Sure but I don't want to ding it up. Use what you have or can afford. It puts you in the race and that is most of the battle.
Old 09-27-16, 05:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
For the price it will work .... great for training and since you already know you won't be on the podium, it will get you through the bike portion fine ... you will be competing mostly with yourself no matter what you ride anyway.

If in a few years you find that you want to invest heavily in getting better finishes, along with a training coach and stuff, you might want to buy a tri-specific bike ... but until then, this would be a fine beginner bicycle.
Old 09-28-16, 08:07 AM
Archerobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So another bike place is having a sale . I'm going to start a new post asking questions.

Thank y'all again
Old 09-28-16, 08:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Thank you
Ryan

KONA BIKES | ROAD | ESATTO | Esatto
I bought my 2009 Kona Dew Drop for $520; it was a year old and the shop wanted it gone. After 15,000 miles, I will say it's not a great road bike, but it's a great bike.

My Kona has been a commuter bike, a gravel-grinder, CX racer, winter bike, single-track bike, grocery hauler (w/ BOB trailer), charity century bike, ....

Here's a pic of the Kona at the start a 135-mile day, including 100-mile gravel race:
IMG_20160611_055959309_HDR.jpg