Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for rain pants?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 06:43 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Any suggestions for reasonably priced rain pants? Under $100 for sure. Unlined and can pack down and be out in jersey pocket. I mainly thinking of scenarios where temps are below 60 as I don’t mind be wet but not liking be wet AND chilly.
Old 01-08-20, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
an inexpensive rain pant might work fine, but I'd rather try an item on, before buying. we have a local Outdoor Store that carries these, in varying levels of quality & price. something to look at, is leg length, cuz you want them long enough to cover your ankles, due to body position on the bike. some have cheap elastic cuffs for ankles, some are better & more comfortable & some are just open & you can use an ankle band
Old 01-08-20, 07:48 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I went to WalMart last year and got a your rain suit. The jacket was small and the sleeves ended up about 3/4, but the pants fit perfectly. It was $19.99.
Good luck
Old 01-08-20, 07:58 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I went to WalMart last year and got a your rain suit. The jacket was small and the sleeves ended up about 3/4, but the pants fit perfectly. It was $19.99.
Good luck
interesting. Maybe I’ll try that. I definitely won’t use them frequently.
Old 01-09-20, 08:25 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
For riding in a more upright position or on a recumbent I've found the coated waterproof inexpensive rain pants work pretty well. I have some from Sierra Designs and another pair from Cabelas. On a road or mountain bike in a more forward position, they work less well because the cheaper rain pants don't come high enough up the the back of my waist when riding a road or mountain bike. I have an older pair of Burley rain pants that do work pretty well in the forward positions. Unfortunately, the Burley pants are getting old and the urethane coating is starting to deteriorate.
Old 01-09-20, 09:09 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have several items from Red Ledge (https://www.redledge.com/) that have provided very good service for some years now. Good prices and well made.
Old 01-09-20, 11:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
My favorites are actually an ice climbing pant from Mountain Hardwear but they no longer make it however they have gone back to Gore-Tex which isn't bad. I don't do well with cheap-o stuff I want stuff that lasts and can be abused and having had those MHW pants for 8 years now and they haven't had issue, I am satisfied with what I got. It was their most expensive pant but at this point $40 a year ain't a terrible price for some breathable and durable pants that have happened to work really well for cycling and I figure I will probably have them for another 8 years so not a bad deal.

These are the new ones but they do a Gore Pac-Lite version which might be more what you are looking for.
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/men...or=406#start=2

Also I highly recommend Arcteryx stuff, it is super premium but their attention to detail is second to none and they make some of the finest waterproof stuff out there. The Zeta SL probably would be closer to what you are looking for but they do a whole host of other stuff some of which might have more durability:
https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/zeta-sl-pant

I am serious spend the money once and get good high quality gear that you won't have to buy again at least not for a long long while. Plus breathability is key and while yet none of the stuff is ever breathable enough but also waterproof to the level you would want it having something that is just waterproof with zero breathability can end up with you getting soaked on the inside from sweat which will make you cold.