Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need some advice about managing keys

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-23-16, 10:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

To get into my office I first need my ID card for access though the outside door. Then I need a key to get into my office suite. This same key unlocks my private office. When I leave my house in the morning, my wife helps me with a pre-ride check to ensure I have my keys and wallet (with ID card). This check works well as long as I remember to bring keys and wallet home with me the day before. The problem is that occasionally I fail to do this and, since I arrive earlier than everybody else I have to wait around for up to 30 minutes to get in. I shower and change when I get in and thus transfer keys and wallet to my working clothes. When I change to go home, I try to maintain a routine of checking/assuring that I transfer keys and wallet back to my cycling clothes, but sometimes I get distracted by a phone call or a coworker with the result that either or both items are left in my office.

Driving commuters have an easy reminder. I would, too, if I locked my bike up outside; however I keep my bike in my office during the day and don't really feel like carrying around a U-lock to force myself to remember. I was thinking about a putting a smaller padlock on some part of my bike (like a pedal). The idea is that I would have to use a key on my ring to remove this lock before I could ride home.

I'm interested in hearing about any techniques that other commuters have found to work effectively.

Thanks much.
Old 09-23-16, 11:31 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
the padlock idea is interesting and a lightweight solution. just need to find a space on the bike where it will fit AND remind you AND that won't damage the bike if you take off with the padlock on it.

but em why don't you place your keys right in front of your monitor at work once you get in so they are constantly in your vision - and you'll probably remember to grab them when you head out. after a week or two constantly seeing your keys in front of you it will become habit to pick them up when leaving.
Old 09-23-16, 11:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I face this challenge, too. I think a checklist is necessary until I form a habit that I consider to be reliable. I haven't forgotten my keys or wallet yet, but I almost have a few times, and it makes me nervous.

The best way to use a checklist is to print out many copies and to actually make check marks with a pen when each thing is properly packed. Often when I look at a checklist, my eyes jump over an item, and I say "yup" to myself, but I haven't actually done everything on the list. The safest thing is requiring myself to mark each item with a pen and not to leave until all items are marked.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-16, 11:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Every night as I'm shutting off lights and setting the alarm, I make sure that my wallet, keys, and swipecard are all in the same pocket of my backpack. And as I'm leaving the office at the end of the day, I do the same.
Old 09-23-16, 11:48 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
My solution is to keep multiple copies of the keys I need in the places I need them. So, for instance, if I leave my keys at home I have spares in a secure place in my cubicle. More importantly, I have a set of keys that I can always leave in my regular commuting bag. That doesn't work for my work ID, since they'll only let me have one, but luckily my office has a 24-hour staffed security desk where I can get a temporary ID.
Old 09-23-16, 11:49 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
My office ID is also a key to access various doors at my office. Front door to my Coop bldg uses a Multilock key.
So does the top key for my apartment door, bottom key is your standard Schlage door type key. I cut & flattened
both Multi lock keys; we have band saws & grinding wheels at the machine shop dept. at work. Everything goes in
my flat wallet; ID + 3 keys.

Both of my bike locks(cable type & folding type) use combinations, no key. U/D locks can also come w/ a combination.
Old 09-23-16, 11:55 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have a work lanyard with my work keys on it. I also have a home key on a lanyard. On my way in I always put my work keys on top of my pannier with a few inches out of the zipper so I get a visual the last thing before I leave home. If it is raining I just check twice. I have a routine packing my ride the night before so everything, including my house key is packed in my bags. Then before I leave work I have to change clothes at which time I put my home key on top.
Old 09-23-16, 12:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
When my wife was in college, she had a simple mantra she recited every time she left her residence: glasses...comb...pen...money...keys. That list seemed to meet all her needs.
Old 09-23-16, 01:35 PM
TheNormanRider

Bikes: IZip E3 Path+, Specialized Diverge A1, GMC Denali, Roadmaster Quarry Ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Zefal bag on the top tube that 3 items MUST go in: keys, wallet, and phone. Since it has to be loaded prior to departure, it's easy to know if I've forgotten something.
Old 09-23-16, 02:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Before leaving the house, I pat down my jersey pockets and any empty one triggers a mental alarm. From left to right, they are: lanyard, wallet (containing phone), keys.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-16, 04:59 PM
KStier

Bikes: Early 2000's cannondale r2000, gary fisher rig 29er single speed, giant tcx advanced sx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep my keys on a retractable lanyard attached to my backpack. If you have or can put a slot/hole in the keycard then as long as you have your backpack you'll have the keys as well...
Old 09-23-16, 05:39 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make a go home checklist? Set a recurring appointment on your smartphone called "got keys?" Make a habit to put both in a certain spot every day when you get to the office so you can't forget them? (in your helmet etc?). There are plenty of ways to handle easy forgetfullness.
Old 09-23-16, 06:15 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I ride in a suit and tie and my keys and wallet are always in my pocket. Nevertheless, I can recall arriving at work without my keys and having to wait until someone else came. I'd say that avoiding this problem is the sole advantage of car commuting.
Old 09-23-16, 06:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
I don't have a problem getting into my house (I won't make details public) but used to have a 6 mile commute to my warehouse. Usually, I'm not the first one there, so no big deal if I forget my keys. But I used to occaisionally go in on weekends. So one Saturday I have a ton to do, and rode in through cold rain, only to find myself locked out, riding home pick up the keys and riding back was no fun at all.

Since then I made a copy of the key and mounted it securely to my commuter frames unused water bottle boss. No problem if I needed it, I usually have a hex key in the bag, if not I can always borrow one someplace nearby.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-23-16, 09:03 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Keys and wallet go in the cat litter bucket pannier at night**. Phone comes with me to the nightstand because it's the alarm clock.
In the morning, keys and wallet go in front pockets and phone goes in pannier.
Once at work, keys, wallet, and phone go in pants at wardrobe change time.
Going home, the whole thing gets reversed.

The only problem is weekends when I drive, car key is on a separate keychain from the bike/house/work keys.

I have forgotten my keys and wallet at work once in three years, and it was because I changed in a hurry and left them in the restroom. Thankfully, someone was there to give them to me at 6:30pm.

**Keys do not go to nightstand, the jingling will wake various children since I am usually the first one up.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-23-16, 09:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I used to live alone and carried an extra key in my wallet... just in case.

Otherwise... ID card in the wallet (with extra key). Keys in left front pocket, cash in right front pocket. Leaving or entering the doorway (work or home) a quick pat-down lets me know I have my "stuff".

Remembering the phone... even after 10 years is a routine I have trouble with.
Old 09-23-16, 09:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Carry an All or Nothing Bag...The Black One.

Old 09-24-16, 05:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Carry an All or Nothing Bag...The Black One.

Last year I posted an A&S thread, “Bicycling or not, what items do you take with you that you never leave home without?."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a flat mesh black bag, about 8 x 6 x 3 inches I call my “clutch bag” with some of my non-standard items I take everywhere,including bike rides:…

Also, for cycling or otherwise, I wear a backpack with space for lightweight extra [items]. The clutch bag fits in my always-attached seat bag (or into the backpack when not riding).
Keys however do not go into the clutch bag, but I use my wife’s mantra to remember them.
When my wife was in college, she had a simple mantra she recited every time she left her residence: glasses...comb...pen...money...keys. That list seemed to meet all her needs.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-24-16 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-24-16, 09:22 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I do something similar. I recite to my cats what I need to bring with me that day, and then check to make sure the zipper is shut on the pocket the keys are in. It's not foolproof, but it works for me most of the time.
Old 09-24-16, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One thing that simplifies My cycling Is the Frame Mounted Ring Lock..

The Key Is in the lock when its Ready to ride , closing the lock around the rear wheel allows Me to take out the key...

It has a Pin ended chain to lock it to Stuff snaps into the end of the lock Opposite the Key cylinder.

AXA Defender (silver) removable - AXA Bike Security
AXA RLC PLUS 140/5,5 - AXA Bike Security

Issue comes when I lose the key, while bike is locked Up,
(did it once @ Grocery store But someone had already found it and given it to customer service desk)
But, now the Key is on an elastic cord so I secure it to My wrist or a strap of the Bag I carry wallet etc. in..

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-24-16 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 03:17 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
To get into my office I first need my ID card for access though the outside door. Then I need a key to get into my office suite. This same key unlocks my private office. When I leave my house in the morning, my wife helps me with a pre-ride check to ensure I have my keys and wallet (with ID card). This check works well as long as I remember to bring keys and wallet home with me the day before. The problem is that occasionally I fail to do this and, since I arrive earlier than everybody else I have to wait around for up to 30 minutes to get in. I shower and change when I get in and thus transfer keys and wallet to my working clothes. When I change to go home, I try to maintain a routine of checking/assuring that I transfer keys and wallet back to my cycling clothes, but sometimes I get distracted by a phone call or a coworker with the result that either or both items are left in my office.

Driving commuters have an easy reminder. I would, too, if I locked my bike up outside; however I keep my bike in my office during the day and don't really feel like carrying around a U-lock to force myself to remember. I was thinking about a putting a smaller padlock on some part of my bike (like a pedal). The idea is that I would have to use a key on my ring to remove this lock before I could ride home.

I'm interested in hearing about any techniques that other commuters have found to work effectively.

Thanks much.
I prep every morning by putting everything I need into a back pack. Keys, badge, gels, full water bottle(s), charged light battery, wallet, phone, food, headband, socks, etc. I carry the BP out to the garage wearing flip flops and basically spend about 5 minutes loading all that stuff into the various bags on my bike and then putting on socks and shoes before heading out. I then leave the empty backpack in the garage and load it back up when I return home.

I never forget anything anymore.
Old 09-24-16, 05:08 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I keep a set of workplace keys in my trunk bag at all times.
Old 09-25-16, 08:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Thanks for all of the ideas. A few more comments:

First, I tend to embrace entropy, so things like organization, mantras, checklists will work, but only for as long as their evolution towards chaos permits. I am afraid that I will have to resort to a more fail safe measure. In other words, my going home routine will have to force following a procedure (more to follow below).

Second, I have no problem (thanks to my wife) with carrying essentials to work. The problem is that if I left any of these essentials at work the night before, the morning routine is ineffective. It would be nice to have a backup key at home but for reasons that are not completely clear, I am not permitted to have one.

So here's what I plan to try:

When leaving my office, I need to ensure that I have my office key (most important) and my ID card (important, but not as critical). My ID card is always in my wallet. Up to now, all of my keys were on the same key ring. I have taken my office key from this ring and will start to carry it in my wallet. I have bought a small brass padlock (the wimpy kind that you sometimes see on luggage). I will carry the key to this lock in my wallet along with my office key. When I get to work, I will place this padlock through some links on my pannier straps. I always lug things home in my panniers and so being inhibited from fastening the straps will require me to gather my wallet, retrieve the key (which is with my office key) and remove the small lock. Fail safe? Not completely, but at least it will force me to have my bike, wallet, and keys all in hand at the same time.

Oh, in the case of web robots mining psychologically inclined posts, I wanted to be the first to name my particular condition: "Distractions Undermining Memory when Biking" i.e DUMB.
Old 09-26-16, 11:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
I have my own little garage door remote, with a keychain that has my bike lock key and house front door key. Since I can't leave in the morning without closing the garage door, I can't ever leave my bike lock key behind. When at work it stays in the pocket of the shorts I biked in, which hang in my locker, so after work when I change back into the shorts I don't need to remember to transfer the keys&remote.

This may seem silly, but you could lock your bike up at home (or lock the bike to itself to immobilize one wheel), and keep your bike lock key and office key on the same keyring. That way you couldn't get out of the house unless you had your keyring.

My badge for work is a different story, in order to not forget it, I have a routine. When I change after work, first thing is I throw my badge in my kittier. When I get home, I put the bike in the rack, take off my helmet, hang it off my steerer tube, and unpacking the kittier I put the badge in the helmet. If I forget that step, at least it's still in the kittier for the next day. And if I somehow forget and leave it at home I can go to the security office and get a temp badge for the day.

My bigger problem is my wallet. I almost never use my wallet, so I stopped carrying it in my pocket all the time. Generally it lives in my kittier (with my cell phone, turned off, which I also almost never use). Sometimes when I'm at home I hop into the car to drive to the grocery store or something, and I forget to grab my wallet.

Another common problem is going to work on an off-time like a weekend, and not being in my usual routine, forgetting to grab my badge. No security office temp badges on the weekend, so I'm out of luck unless I go back home and get it.
Old 09-26-16, 11:48 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost

Thanks much.

I keep my access card, keys and emergency cash (a twenty, a five and two singles) in an ID case mounted to a reel on a neck lanyard.

After you get used to it, you feel as strange without it as you would if you didn't have your helmet on.

I use this case currently but have tried several others:

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Holder-B...s=badge+holder

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.