Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 01:17 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Alright already, what started as a bad joke on myself got taken too far. Mainly by me.

None of us could resist making their kid's first bike less awful for the 6 months before they outgrow it. Realizing a life dream of owning a large outdated book is way nerdier. Let's just move on.
----
Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, the Hitchhiker’s Guide has already supplanted the great Encyclopaedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important respects. First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words "DON'T PANIC" inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.
Old 10-10-17, 02:39 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
----
I'll see your Douglas Adams and raise you 2 of my favorite quotes from the Guide

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
“It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."
"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"
"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like so straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford. "It is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"
"What?"
"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"
"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."
Ford shrugged again.
"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happenned to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."
"But that's terrible," said Arthur.
"Listen, bud," said Ford, "if I had one Altairian dollar for every time I heard one bit of the Universe look at another bit of the Universe and say 'That's terrible' I wouldn't be sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.”
Old 10-10-17, 03:11 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
yup, it's definitely the off-season

my race videos
Old 10-10-17, 03:23 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought road racing dribbled out after turkey day there with just a few races like the NYD hill climb before the season kicks off in February. It's not like PHX where it gets too hot or most other places where it gets too cold or wet.
Old 10-10-17, 06:24 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
yup, it's definitely the off-season
squash the beef.jpg
Old 10-11-17, 05:57 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
squash the beef.jpg

Old 10-11-17, 07:04 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i know there are a few soccer fans here, last night's world cup qualifiers were fantastic, well as far as my rooting for the collapse of the US (I may be American, but I still cheer for my portuguese roots, that's the benefit of being a first gen American lol). I guess there won't be any "i believe that we will win" this year!
Old 10-11-17, 07:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
A guy got murdered in my neighborhood last night. Second one since we moved here 8 years ago.

That seems like a lot.

(Technically, it's not my neighborhood, but rather the adjacent neighborhood, but apart from the style of houses and a small sign, the roads directly connect.)
Old 10-11-17, 07:11 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
It's a good thing that NJ has experts trained to pump gas for me since I'm incapable of doing it myself. I would never be so smart as to overfill the tank and waste gas and pollute the environment, or leave my gas cap half-way off causing a check engine light that I can't get to go away. I also seem to forget to smoke near the gas pumps too, silly me.

Thankfully they're there to protect me and my car from myself.

And yes, the US failing to qualify is impressively bad. They never fail to disappoint. I'm not sure who I'll root for next year. I'll still watch because soccer is just fun to watch, and I especially like national team games that mean something. The national pride is fun to watch.
Old 10-11-17, 07:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8263 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
It's a good thing that NJ has experts trained to pump gas for me since I'm incapable of doing it myself. I would never be so smart as to overfill the tank and waste gas and pollute the environment, or leave my gas cap half-way off causing a check engine light that I can't get to go away. I also seem to forget to smoke near the gas pumps too, silly me.

Thankfully they're there to protect me and my car from myself.
Is there no self-serve in NJ? I know some states don't allow it, like Oregon. I don't really understand it, though I did see some pretty wacky stuff while working at gas stations.
Old 10-11-17, 07:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
Is there no self-serve in NJ? I know some states don't allow it, like Oregon. I don't really understand it, though I did see some pretty wacky stuff while working at gas stations.
Nope. Illegal. Supposedly the folks of New Jersey aren't capable of pumping gas without setting themselves on fire.
Old 10-11-17, 07:45 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having seen both, I'm not surprised about either. Those partaking in sing-a-long's in the woods and Microsoft employee # 548754864864000784 or owning a multiple acre garden and JERSEY SHORE sums up amazing percentages of the population. The common people always outnumbering the elite, it's a good law in both places. Everyone else middle class and up rightly look it as a fast disappearing job segment that has always existed.
Old 10-11-17, 08:31 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Nope. Illegal. Supposedly the folks of New Jersey aren't capable of pumping gas without setting themselves on fire.
It's basically a gas tax that provides low-skill employment. Reasonable people may think that is either a good thing or a bad thing.

My mother in law, who moved nearby after living in NJ her whole life, had to learn how to pump her own gas at the age of 70. She was terrified of it.
Old 10-11-17, 08:39 AM
topflightpro

My college roommate, who grew up in Brooklyn before his parents moved to Jersey, also didn't know how to pump gas. I think he even pulled into a station and sat there waiting for a guy to come out, not realizing it wasn't full service everywhere.
Old 10-11-17, 08:40 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
A guy got murdered in my neighborhood last night. Second one since we moved here 8 years ago.

That seems like a lot.

(Technically, it's not my neighborhood, but rather the adjacent neighborhood, but apart from the style of houses and a small sign, the roads directly connect.)

yikes

Where are you? NC?
Old 10-11-17, 09:02 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
A couple of years before we moved here there was a murder suicide across the street. It was a rental property and it was some sort of illegal sale gone bad, but still it's weird.
Old 10-11-17, 09:20 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro

That seems like a lot.

I think 2 seems like about 2 too many, yeah.
Old 10-11-17, 09:30 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my buddies in undergrad lived in this house:

Johns Hopkins Med Student Kills Thief With Samurai Sword - NBC4 Washington
Old 10-11-17, 09:32 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i know there are a few soccer fans here, last night's world cup qualifiers were fantastic, well as far as my rooting for the collapse of the US (I may be American, but I still cheer for my portuguese roots, that's the benefit of being a first gen American lol). I guess there won't be any "i believe that we will win" this year!
I've been a big fan since visiting the UK during the World Cup in 98 (the pubs were nuts) and I'm pretty gutted about it. Wales didn't qualify either which also stinks.

On the positive side, I've always told people the US could win the WC if we had a Ronaldo / Messi / Bale caliber player (although even then its still a stretch) and we may have that guy. Pusilic is the real deal, the kid can flat out play.
Old 10-11-17, 11:24 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by globecanvas
yikes

Where are you? NC?
Yep. NC.

We used to have a horrible reputation for crime, but things have improved greatly. Still, there are some issues.
Old 10-11-17, 02:35 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I've been told off for pumping my own gas in Oregon. We would cross and forget we had gone across the border. Also has happened that we wait and wait and finally give up and just do it ourselves.

New coworker just moved to Utah from Oregon. He told me he had to ask for help.. Sad.
Old 10-11-17, 03:57 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've forgotten a few times in OR. Not a wise move in small mountain towns with drug problems! Normally it was just like Ttoc6 said, crossing the border and hopping out without thinking.
Old 10-11-17, 04:23 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I had no idea that people still pumped your gas for you. I remember one shop that did that when I was 16 or so, and then it went out of business the next year. Have never seen another one in the SE or mid west.

Sounds a bit irritating. Do you have to tip?
Old 10-11-17, 06:11 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I had no idea that people still pumped your gas for you. I remember one shop that did that when I was 16 or so, and then it went out of business the next year. Have never seen another one in the SE or mid west.

Sounds a bit irritating. Do you have to tip?
I don't think tipping is customary, I certainly don't and haven't seen it done. Thankfully.
Old 10-11-17, 06:37 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Is Divine Comedy one of those books that everyone pretends to love to look smart but secretly nobody actually enjoys it? I enjoy reading basically anything, but I'm struggling to get this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.