Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

White bros on bikes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

White bros on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 04:25 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
White bros on bikes

Interesting article in the NY Post.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/nyc-sh...bros-on-bikes/
Old 09-04-18, 05:01 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
“More protected bike lanes!” was summer’s war cry for take-no-prisoners cycling advocates. But the roughly 98 percent of New Yorkers who get to and from work by other means than bicycles need protection from the young, testosterone-fueled white males who comprise the vast majority of two-wheel desperadoes.
I have never heard anyone yell that line once in my entire life. Not even homeless people are that naive. This author seems to have a Pete Townsend-like obsession with those "rough boys" on bikes, maybe he should try talking to one some time.
Old 09-04-18, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I know it's not a representative sample, but I just rode from central NJ to downtown Brooklyn on Sunday and spent the night there. I saw what I think was a much higher percentage of female cyclists on the Brooklyn Bridge and in Brooklyn itself. None of them were in parks or trails. And there were plenty of non-white people cycling, both mail and female. It was really only on Sunday morning as I was walking to my car for the drive home did I see a significant number (relative to the four block walk to the car) of white, male "kitted out" riders. I do this ride every year and my observations are the same.

The real danger I felt were the eBike riders, most of which that I saw were operated by delivery guys. They speed nearly silently down residential streets, sometimes going the wrong way. You really need to look both ways when crossing even though there is not supposed to be traffic coming from both directions.
Old 09-04-18, 05:53 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Meanwhile, subway riders with every imaginable disability brave jammed platforms, stairs and trains. Legless men hop from car to car.

Now, it isn’t inherently sexist, racist, ageist or ableist that cycling is most popular with athletic, younger white males. What’s sexist, racist, ageist and ableist is that the wishes of so narrow a slice of the populace are institutionally favored over those of all others.
​​​​​​

Well that was a fun read, glad I have another reason to check myself - I was born, to able.

What could have been a very insightful piece turned into something you might read from a freshman in highschool. How come so many cyclists are white males? I'm a white male, I grew up riding single speeds then got into cycling. I didn't flip through a catalog of "Skin color / demographics and appropriate sport" then decide on cycling after considering Tennis or Baseball

I can see a point to the article, a vocal minority that's already perceived to be overly privileged getting more things. Except the author stumbles against their self by half heartedly admitting others utilize and benefit from the lanes as well.
Cycling isn’t just a guy thing — it’s a white guy thing. Despite lack of data, anyone can see that in a city that’s 55 percent nonwhite, black, Latin and Asian faces on wheels are relatively scarce. (The exception is hard-working food delivery people, for whom access to bike lanes makes their backbreaking jobs somewhat less risky while ensuring that more affluent citizens won’t have to wait too long to get their General Tso’s chicken.)
So the author admits the whole gist of their argument is biased. Then throws the class warfare card into it
Old 09-04-18, 06:26 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Cycling isn’t just a guy thing — it’s a white guy thing. Despite lack of data, anyone can see...
The author should look for data, instead of pretending that what he saw on his drive to work or the club is representative. Here's some ASSUMPTION BUSTERS: 12 FACTS ABOUT RACE, ETHNICITY, INCOME & BICYCLING While "white bro's" may be the majority on bikes, proportionally more people who are non-white ride bikes for both recreation and transportation. And, to the point of the article, the non-white segments are MORE likely to be favorable for bike lanes.
Old 09-04-18, 06:37 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What's most pernicious about all of this is that riding a bike makes a person who's not white, appear to onlookers to be white. That's totally just unacceptable in today's world.

People need to proudly assert their cultural heritage at every opportunity, not BLEND IN, geez, that's not what this country is about!
Old 09-04-18, 07:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
The author should look for data, instead of pretending that what he saw on his drive to work or the club is representative. Here's some ASSUMPTION BUSTERS: 12 FACTS ABOUT RACE, ETHNICITY, INCOME & BICYCLING While "white bro's" may be the majority on bikes, proportionally more people who are non-white ride bikes for both recreation and transportation. And, to the point of the article, the non-white segments are MORE likely to be favorable for bike lanes.
+100
Thank you, wp.
Old 09-04-18, 08:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Guys, the article is in the New York Post.

That automatically renders it not interesting, truthful or relevant to anything actually taking place in the real world.

-Tim-
Old 09-04-18, 08:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Every time one of us clicks on that article we encourage the author to write a sequel.
Old 09-04-18, 08:38 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dumb, racist, and classist article. But this quote from the article explains why better cycling infrastructure is needed:

That’s because many women who ride bikes do so not in bike lanes, but in parks and in dedicated, car-free spaces such as the Hudson River Greenway
The reason why you see "young athletic testosterone-driven" males on bikes is because cycling in a city without infrastructure is scary. Not because there is some innate feature of white young males to make them like bikes.
Old 09-04-18, 08:51 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think part of the disproportionate amount of money or space spent on cycling infrastructure is because some would like to encourage more people to bike for environmental, cost and congestion reasons. And the city has to catch up to providing a safe routes which would then hopefully not cost as much to maintain.
Old 09-04-18, 09:20 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
The author forgot to include the fact that white bros scream like girls when they fall down.
Old 09-04-18, 10:38 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I did a popular ride on Saturday, anywhere from 200-400 riders, and I'd say that roughly half of all cyclists were women. Not very may minorities, but there were a few. And in the local cycling group I'm in, I'd say that at least half of that group is made up of women.

Cycling isn’t just a guy thing — it’s a white guy thing. Despite lack of data, anyone can see that in a city that’s 55 percent nonwhite, black, Latin and Asian faces on wheels are relatively scarce. (The exception is hard-working food delivery people, for whom access to bike lanes makes their backbreaking jobs somewhat less risky while ensuring that more affluent citizens won’t have to wait too long to get their General Tso’s chicken.)
So, in other words, it's unusual to see minorities on bikes except when you see them on bikes.
Old 09-04-18, 10:52 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Take your pick, "White Punks on Bikes" or "White Punks on Dope".

Old 09-04-18, 11:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I did a popular ride on Saturday, anywhere from 200-400 riders, and I'd say that roughly half of all cyclists were women. Not very may minorities, but there were a few. And in the local cycling group I'm in, I'd say that at least half of that group is made up of women.

So, in other words, it's unusual to see minorities on bikes except when you see them on bikes.

Hold on... half of the bikers were female! Where is this?
Old 09-04-18, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Take your pick, "White Punks on Bikes" or "White Punks on Dope".
Somehow, like an idiot, I managed to lose What Do You Want From Live on vinyl.

"White punks on dope! W.P.O.D!"
Old 09-05-18, 07:30 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like Vox made a video replying to OP's article (not really, but the timing and the theme work)

Old 09-05-18, 10:50 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Hold on... half of the bikers were female! Where is this?
The Gorilla Century in SE Kansas. I don't know exactly what the percentage of male to female riders was, but you didn't have to look too far to find women on bikes. I'd say it was roughly half and half male to female. In fact, there was even a female racing team riding that day, they passed me several times.
Old 09-06-18, 04:16 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Since NYC has mandatory bike lane laws, the true racist and man hating, youth hating, fitness hating people are the motorist demanding infrastructure to get young white cyclist out of their motoring way. No sharing from that racist, man hating, youth hating, fitness hating group.
Old 09-15-18, 05:43 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
You're only allowed to rant about white dudes. Any other gender or race, you're fired. The guy has a beef with cyclists, as though their tiny fraction of vehicles are "clogging" the roads of NYC and not the billion or so cars. So he takes it out on white dudes.
Old 09-24-18, 10:06 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
...The reason why you see "young athletic testosterone-driven" males on bikes is because cycling in a city without infrastructure is scary. Not because there is some innate feature of white young males to make them like bikes.
Cycling NYC even with infrastructure ain't for the faint of heart. Also, I have a mom, sisters, wife, and female workmates and none of them ride a bike due to worries of being accosted.

Also, just speaking for my community, white boys/girls are more likely to be able to afford and maintain a dependable bike.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-24-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 10:12 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
You're only allowed to rant about white dudes. Any other gender or race, you're fired. The guy has a beef with cyclists, as though their tiny fraction of vehicles are "clogging" the roads of NYC and not the billion or so cars. So he takes it out on white dudes.
That is the only demographic he has left. Cut him some slack, he probably has a family to feed. 🤣
Old 09-24-18, 10:19 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I prefer the Warner Bros and Sister Dot.

Old 09-24-18, 12:11 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Cycling NYC even with infrastructure ain't for the faint of heart
That means you have bad infrastructure. Paint on the floor is not infrastructure. If it is not safe enough for an old lady to ride in it, then it is bad infrastructure.

Also, I have a mom, sisters, wife, and female workmates and none of them ride a bike due to worries of being accosted.
I don't know where you live, but were I live it would not be acceptable that women have to be locked indoors or inside a car to avoid being accosted.

Also, just speaking for my community, white boys/girls are more likely to be able to afford and maintain a dependable bike.
Yeah, white people are wealthier on average in the US. Buy cycling is not for the rich. Cycling is common among rich people who are too good for a car, but also among poor people who can't afford a car. A 100$ used bike is more than enough to commute in a flat city like NYC. You don't need a 5000$ electric road bike with disc brakes and integrated GPS to get from A to B.
Old 09-24-18, 12:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
That means you have bad infrastructure. Paint on the floor is not infrastructure. If it is not safe enough for an old lady to ride in it, then it is bad infrastructure.
The whole place was thought up in the 1600s and got a 'makeover' throughout the 20th century. I suppose that if you have a few trillion bucks, go ahead, fix that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.