Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wind noise worse in winter?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 11-28-18, 01:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts

Is it just me, or is wind noise worse in the winter? The last few weeks the temp's dropped, and even a mild 10 mph wind seems to howl in my ears. After a ride I hear a high-pitch pink noise the rest of the day, and sometimes into the next day.

If it's relevant, I'm usually wearing ear bands over my ears below 50F or so, instead of a sweatband over the top of my ears when it's warmer.

I've tried Cat Ears (the furry things you put on your helmet straps). Got a few laughs, but didn't do anything for the racket. Is there something out there that helps more than cotton balls in my ears?
Old 11-28-18, 03:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Is it just me, or is wind noise worse in the winter? The last few weeks the temp's dropped, and even a mild 10 mph wind seems to howl in my ears. After a ride I hear a high-pitch pink noise the rest of the day, and sometimes into the next day.

If it's relevant, I'm usually wearing ear bands over my ears below 50F or so, instead of a sweatband over the top of my ears when it's warmer.

I've tried Cat Ears (the furry things you put on your helmet straps). Got a few laughs, but didn't do anything for the racket. Is there something out there that helps more than cotton balls in my ears?
One wind noise that seems particularly winter is the sound of metal fixtures clanging in the wind on flagpoles. I don't notice it in nice weather. Maybe the sound carries better in cold air.

Otherwise for me, wind is just an embellishment of the cold.
Old 11-28-18, 03:43 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Never noticed a difference. Better get it checked out.
Old 11-28-18, 08:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I find when my ears are covered by, say, a balaclava or headband due to the cold, that I hear more of the wind noise. That's probably because of the wind hitting against the fabric. My bare ears are more aerodynamic than balaclava fabric. I can't compare sans ear covers as it's too freaking cold.
Old 11-29-18, 07:18 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The furry ones are the type that cut wind noise. Just keep looking. Meanwhile, there's these.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-29-18 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:23 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Wind noise doesn't bother me. It's the wind that bothers me.
Old 11-29-18, 10:34 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you live in an area with deciduous tree cover, you will definitely notice a difference between the propagation of sound in winter vs in summer.

I live about 5 miles away from a railway line that transports cargo and vehicles for the auto industry. In the winter I can hear the train noises at night when road traffic dies down. Not in summer.

Phytoacoustics - the science of the effects of plant cover on sound.
Old 11-29-18, 11:30 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
If you live in an area with deciduous tree cover, you will definitely notice a difference between the propagation of sound in winter vs in summer.

I live about 5 miles away from a railway line that transports cargo and vehicles for the auto industry. In the winter I can hear the train noises at night when road traffic dies down. Not in summer.

Phytoacoustics - the science of the effects of plant cover on sound.
Amazing. That completely explains the added wind noise for me, as well as why I noticed it in the fall. The leaves are gone here (western Wisconsin/southeast Minnesota) in mid to late October.
Old 11-29-18, 12:03 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
After a ride I hear a high-pitch pink noise the rest of the day, and sometimes into the next day.
Wow that is pretty extreme. Have you checked if there's something you're wearing that's causing the noise like your helmet? That's a crazy amount of noise.

The only time I've personally run into a significant level of noise is with a particular balaclava I was using that had holes in the side around your ears. Was supposed to let you hear better but instead it just made a "howling wind" noise any time I was moving.

A headband does all I need for me. A windproof headband might be better?
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...X0/?th=1&psc=1

Otherwise I have seen earplugs sold for motorcycles for the same kind of issue:
https://www.amazon.com/Eargasm-Music...19M576XW/?th=1
Old 11-29-18, 01:22 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When it is snowing, there is actually less noise. Something about the snow dampening air vibrations. I love riding out on quiet roads when it is snowing. Everything feels really quiet and peaceful.

I'm not sure about what is the effect of temperature and humidity (without noise) on sound, but I haven't noticed louder wind noise during winter.
Old 11-29-18, 04:33 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
PDLamb, I suffer from the same problem. I've been using sound proofing ear buds and listening to music lately since the tenitis type ringing seems to last forever after a cold ride.Not a problem when it's warm out. I have wondered if it's getting worse as I grow old, or if I'm just losing patience as I grow old. Too much cold also causes an ear ache, especially if I forget my ear buds or don't pull my sweat band down enough to cover the ears.
Old 11-30-18, 01:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
When it is snowing, there is actually less noise. Something about the snow dampening air vibrations. I love riding out on quiet roads when it is snowing. Everything feels really quiet and peaceful.

I'm not sure about what is the effect of temperature and humidity (without noise) on sound, but I haven't noticed louder wind noise during winter.
Absolutely, sound is effected by any atmospheric particulates. I suspect higher temperature would increase sound transfer rate although I'm not really sure what effect if any pressure would have on it.
Old 11-30-18, 04:07 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Sound is a pressure wave in air. The colder the air, the denser it gets, The denser the air, the faster sound is transmitted.
Old 12-01-18, 05:13 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is it just me, or is wind noise worse in the winter?
It's not just you. I've had tinnitus for years, and it's noticeably more pronounced after a ride in cold air.

Cold air is more dense than warm air. Cold air should be more efficient at transmitting sound waves than warm air (somebody said something similar above).
Old 12-02-18, 08:42 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
If you new effect is driven by additional noise and not by cold, consider the below as a sort of wind-noise-canceler, the helmet strap sort of clamps the piece to your cheek or your balacava, and if your head is up (mine always is since I'm on a recumbent) then it really takes the buffeting noise away. Stylish too, like all recumbent accessories.