Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting rituals?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting rituals?

Old 10-11-19, 02:07 PM
scaldin

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Classic, 1997 LeMond Zurich, Ross Mt. Olympus frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Commuting rituals?

Anyone else have any little rituals you do to keep you in the present moment?
This past year I made a decision to appreciate my commute. After you've been doing it for awhile, you tend to gloss over any cool experiences or interactions. So I made a point of stopping at an overlook of the ohio river and taking a picture. Alas, I'm a fair-weather commuter, so no cool pics of snow or rain!

Old 10-11-19, 02:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
wow, that's great! & a lot of work! well done!
Old 10-11-19, 03:12 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
That is cool, never seen anything like it.

I have no rituals.
Old 10-11-19, 04:07 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Very cool, well done.
Old 10-11-19, 05:27 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by scaldin

This past year I made a decision to appreciate my commute. After you've been doing it for awhile, you tend to gloss over any cool experiences or interactions. So I made a point of stopping at an overlook of the ohio river and taking a picture. Alas, I'm a fair-weather commuter, so no cool pics of snow or rain!

morning commute timelapse
Dittoes to the above comments. Regarding familiarity on my routes,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
I was particularly intrigued by the video. The camera placement seems very precise. Are those shots the same times of day?

Our condo here in Boston has an eastward view of an imposing, reflective building called the Prudential Center (Pru), facing the afternoon-early evening sun (see stock photo).

I have considered setting up a camera with a daily timed trigger around 4 PM to photograph that reflective side of it every day of the year through all four seasons, and I thought about a poster display of all the shots.

A slide shot such as yours would be cool. ,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My avatar is a photo of the Prudential Center (“The Pru”), a 52 story building, taken out our living room window the night of the Patriot’s SuperBowl win. It replaced a similar view of “Go Sox.”

The daytime view is of the same side.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-11-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 06:52 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
147 photos from 1 year. Nice.
Old 10-12-19, 07:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by scaldin
I'm not sure this is what you had in mind, but I tend to remember incidents along my routes.

The pleasant incidents may be wildlife sightings, encounters with friends, people enjoying themselves at a park or front lawns, Cool lawns, beautiful landscapes. Nice people with nice dogs on this street, etc.

The less pleasant rememberences can serve to help keep me safe: Cross traffic tends to blow through that stop sign up ahead, There's a pothole around that blind corner, this is where I picked up those flats, there's a group of kids looking for trouble that congregate on that street up ahead. Mean, unleashed dogs on that block...Cars entering and exiting the highway on/off ramps do not stop for anything...etc.

Very cool video, by the way.
Old 10-12-19, 08:50 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Nice video. My entire commute tends to be a ritual. From getting ready, choosing the exact route, following the route with all of its idiosyncrasies, and finishing up. Makes a fairly complicated routine much easier and safer. I can just enjoy the ride and have everything I need and not have to give it much thought. If I don’t follow the rituals, I either forget something or have to deal with an unexpected situations.
Old 10-12-19, 09:07 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Wake up. Check the weather. Thats my ritual.
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 10-12-19, 10:22 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Usually I’ll prep the evening before (because). Then: I check the weather, grab a lunch box ... and start pedaling!

My biggest ritual is to remember to be safe and enjoy my commute.
Old 10-12-19, 10:47 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I run through a mental checklist by talking to the cats and listing all the things I want to take with or do before I leave.
Old 10-12-19, 02:16 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Night before equipment and clothing checklist. 5:50 am alarm. Go.
Old 10-12-19, 04:10 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
I’ve got a Hornit electric horn which I touch when I get home to let my family know I’ve arrived. For those of you who haven’t heard it, the sound is a high-pitched squeal. The other evening, when I sounded it, I got an equal response from my local mockingbird. He’s learned to Hornit.

When I approach one portion of one of my routes in the dark, I start singing. It is a local hangout for skunks, and before I started singing, I startled one and he almost got me.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-13-19, 09:31 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
The clothing/packing ritual around here is too complicated to feel like a ritual, it's a triumph if I can roll my pannier top once on any given day. During my ride, my daily practice is try to be kind to pedestrians and other riders, stretch my core at stop lights, and fantasize about creative ways to punish drivers.
Old 10-13-19, 12:04 PM
hippos_eat_men

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I'll start taking pics of all the car accidents I encounter and stitch them together to make a cool youtube video too!
Old 10-13-19, 01:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by hippos_eat_men
Maybe I'll start taking pics of all the car accidents I encounter and stitch them together to make a cool youtube video too!
Carbeques only, please. With the occupants standing safely outside waiting for the fire department, of course.
Old 10-17-19, 09:22 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I live in Atlanta but I am from Cincinnati. Cincy is a great town and very beautiful. You should definitely appreciate your city. I love Atlanta but Cincy is a gem.
Old 10-17-19, 11:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Wake up. Check the weather. Thats my ritual.
Not mine

My ritual is mostly about making sure I have all the right stuff.

When I get home I park my bike in the rack, hang my helmet off the stem, put my biking keychain (mini garage door opener, front door key, and bike lock key) and work badge/lanyard in the helmet, kick off my 'cycling' shoes (currently NB trail runners), grab my polo, socks, and underwear from the day out of the kittier.

In the morning, I open the top 3 drawers of the dresser and grab whatever socks, underwear, and polo are nearest at hand (yes I get dressed in the dark), open the garage door, put them in the kittier, put the lanyard/badge on top (so it's not buried when I need to get into work) and keychain in my pocket, put on cycling socks, shoes and helmet, my quarterzip pullover if it's chilly, gloves if it's cold, merino midlayer if it's really cold, and roll out.

Jeans/shoes/towel live in the locker room at work where I can shower.

Another small thing, whenever I'm leaving work and I roll over the triangular metal bar the automatic gate rolls on, I feel for whether my tires have gotten too soft, and I should pump the next day. Usually every 3-4 weeks I'll pump my fatties up to 40. Currently I'm procrastinating dealing with an intermittent slow leak, so I'll pump the rear up to 50 every morning. Most days I can still ride home and it's not really even that soft. One day I was dead flat and had to pump before I could ride. It's weird.
Old 10-17-19, 12:36 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
The other evening, when I sounded it, I got an equal response from my local mockingbird. He’s learned to Hornit.
What a cool facility the mockingbirds have.

Early this summer I was out around midnight and there was one up in a tree by the road, running through it's repertoire. You know the sound an ambulance makes when you're in the way and it wants to pass you? Kind of an electronic blatt? The mockingbird was doing that. Incredible.
Old 10-17-19, 01:17 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
The clothing/packing ritual around here is too complicated to feel like a ritual, it's a triumph if I can roll my pannier top once on any given day.
I gave up on trying to only pack once a long time ago, it just doesn't happen that often.
Old 10-17-19, 03:06 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by no motor?
I run through a mental checklist by talking to the cats and listing all the things I want to take with or do before I leave.
I would trust dogs to double check my equipment and task lists, but not cats. If you have been confiding in cats, I would check my charge card statments and my Amazon account...just sayin'.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-17-19, 03:29 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I would trust dogs to double check my equipment and task lists, but not cats. If you have been confiding in cats, I would check my charge card statments and my Amazon account...just sayin'.
I just tell them the things I should take/do, and they know treats get dispensed after that so they at least act like they're listening. And it makes me look saner to talk to the cats than to talk out loud to myself.
Old 10-18-19, 06:39 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by no motor?
I just tell them the things I should take/do, and they know treats get dispensed after that so they at least act like they're listening. And it makes me look saner to talk to the cats than to talk out loud to myself.
I'm just sayin' dogs are loyal...cats will throw you under the bus...and I love my cat (I just don't trust her).
Old 10-18-19, 12:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My commuting ritual involves me talking myself into it. I love my bike, and I love riding it, but early morning + mile wide lazy streak + bus pass = me talking myself into it.
Old 10-18-19, 07:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Great work on that video! Maybe I'll try that. Please tell us how you placed your camera for the shots.

I don't know about rituals but I notice that I have a little fun by making as much noise as possible by rolling over crunchy things such as fallen leaves and plastic containers.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.