Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chain Guides

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Chain Guides

Old 10-20-19, 12:50 PM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Chain Guides

So I dropped my chain from the ring during a bumpy descent yesterday and want to add a chain guide/bash plate to my 2018 Giant XTC w/ 1 x 11 SRAM Eagle Nx with 30 T chainring. The bike has a ISCG-05 frame mount configuration. Any opinions regarding the e*THIRTEEN TRS-Plus (CG2TPA-103) or the MRP AM g V2 Alloy chain guides?
Old 10-20-19, 10:19 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I'm sure either one will work fine. Check to make sure your chain isn't too long first.
Likes For Canker:
Old 10-21-19, 06:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by iTrod
So I dropped my chain from the ring during a bumpy descent yesterday and want to add a chain guide/bash plate to my 2018 Giant XTC w/ 1 x 11 SRAM Eagle Nx with 30 T chainring. The bike has a ISCG-05 frame mount configuration. Any opinions regarding the e*THIRTEEN TRS-Plus (CG2TPA-103) or the MRP AM g V2 Alloy chain guides?
Before you get a chain guide, was the clutch turned on? Do you have a narrow/wide chainring?

No experience with either of those but it looks like either would work... and having a bash guard is wise, IMO.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-21-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 08:29 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I have the e13 LG1 and the MRP AM, but not sure you want this on an XC hardtail. It's goes on and off my enduro and DJ bikes but if I'm doing any significant pedaling it goes off. Reason being, I get significant drag from the guards which I don't need given by current fitness level. Also if you go with the guards, does the frame have the tabs to install? if not, they make adapters but pushes the crank out a few mms if that's a concern. First, check you chain length to make sure you don't have excess slack and that the chain ring has an optimal alignment. Lastly, you seem to be missing a cog there with your 1x11 Eagle, last time I checked wasn't all Eagle speed?
Old 10-21-19, 12:51 PM
iTrod

Bikes: 2018 Litespeed Cherohala SE; 2011 Giant Defy Advanced 1; 2012 Catrike Expedition; 2016 Co-Motion Americano Rohloff, 2018 Giant XTC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Before you get a chain guide, was the clutch turned on? Do you have a narrow/wide chainring?

No experience with either of those but it looks like either would work... and having a bash guard is wise, IMO.
I have a narrow/wide 30T SRAM chainring. My 2016/17 SRAM NX Eagle 1 x 11 does not have a clutch on the rear derailleur. The chain jumped to the outside of the chainring while in the small cassette cog. Chain length appears to be appropriate for my cassette.
Old 10-24-19, 09:22 AM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by iTrod
I have a narrow/wide 30T SRAM chainring. My 2016/17 SRAM NX Eagle 1 x 11 does not have a clutch on the rear derailleur. The chain jumped to the outside of the chainring while in the small cassette cog. Chain length appears to be appropriate for my cassette.
I'm pretty sure all the 11spd derailleurs have the clutch feature. Only the 10spd came with a non-clutch option. The clutch for SRAM does not have an on/off like Shimano. The "lock" button is only to fix the cage forward to help with wheel changes. Does your derailleur look like the one below?
How often are you dropping chains? I prefer the mid-cage derailleurs for 1X setups and rarely drop chains even on a full rigid going down some relatively bumpy stuff
Old 10-27-19, 06:34 PM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
I'm pretty sure all the 11spd derailleurs have the clutch feature. Only the 10spd came with a non-clutch option. The clutch for SRAM does not have an on/off like Shimano. The "lock" button is only to fix the cage forward to help with wheel changes. Does your derailleur look like the one below?
How often are you dropping chains? I prefer the mid-cage derailleurs for 1X setups and rarely drop chains even on a full rigid going down some relatively bumpy stuff
Yes, that is my rear derailleur. I now realize that it does have a full-time clutch.
Old 10-28-19, 10:17 AM
BillyGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check if the chain isn't too long.
Old 10-28-19, 01:50 PM
colombo357

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I removed the E-thirteen chain guide off my Nomad 4 because it was robbing serious power.

What's the condition of your chainring and your chain? I'd swap the ring first. Adding a guide is like capitulating and accepting a permanent loss in speed. For me it would be demoralizing on an XC hardtail.
Old 10-31-19, 08:55 PM
iTrod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
I removed the E-thirteen chain guide off my Nomad 4 because it was robbing serious power.

What's the condition of your chainring and your chain? I'd swap the ring first. Adding a guide is like capitulating and accepting a permanent loss in speed. For me it would be demoralizing on an XC hardtail.
Just bought the bike new a few weeks ago. Probably about 60 miles on it when I dropped the chain. Chain dropped to the outside while in the small gear on the cassette. I was descending fast down a dirt road and was probably doing a lot of coasting at the time. Chain length appear to be appropriate for the setup.