Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have to show off my grail bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have to show off my grail bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 05:58 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
How I loved my Miyata 1000 and, foolish fellow that I am, I sold it. A guy and his girlfriend, from Minneapolis, drove the 400 miles through a snow storm to pick the bike up. Now that is a bit of a testimony to what others think of the 1000. As for me - one of the nicest riding bikes ever to come my way. And...

Look at those tires. They just might be the original radials. Sadly, the radials on mine were shot.
400 miles in northern Ontario just around the block.
Old 01-23-20, 08:57 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Congratulations! Lovely Bike!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-24-20, 02:38 PM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The derailleur does look a bit off, but when I picked up my 85 T700 the superplate was mounted similarly, I just adjusted it level and rode it hundreds of miles. Then got a bit paranoid as believe it was nesteel said he had one explode in the middle of a long ride. I replaced it with a deore dx long but the superplate still looks and seems to function well now in the keeper part bin, it seemed intended for the the t700 34t rear cog x granny front ring as it shifted to that seamlessly vs other long cages that will bind and pull inwards if not careful. I would not recommend taking the plate apart but you can dribble lube into and clean it somewhat to where it spins smooth and use a pipe cleaner at the edge as you spin it to capture grit. I think when sand gets in there it can quickly wear it out, but so long as you are willing to remove it regularly and lube it should be okay. I found lubing it removed with plate gap facing up and soak a bit seemed to work better than on the bike.
Old 01-24-20, 07:06 PM
SergueiGatorski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful bike with the tan sidewalls !
Old 01-24-20, 09:48 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
funny I always get pulled in by the grail shaped lantern nice find OP

Old 01-24-20, 11:03 PM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
The derailleur seems to be working as
should. It’s a beast
Old 01-27-20, 01:06 PM
gerard2013

Bikes: Domane 4.5, Miyata 1000, Bike Friday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful, it looks just like mine did in '84, got it from BJ's bike shop in Mpls for $500. I started having trouble with the derailleur after about 25 years but it worked great till then.
Old 01-27-20, 01:18 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
My Miyata 1000 & 610

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
Just a reminder to those Miyata 1000 owners, if you haven't had the chance, please post a pic of your M1000 in the "Show us your Miyata 1000" thread! Always looking forward to them!

My favorites of all time, my 89' 1000, picked from a garage wall nearly unridden, fully torn down and rebuilt as a regular rider. The original black rack is back on with vintage NOS blue Cannondale panniers.
The 610 (with a Grand Touring decal) is an 84' I picked up for only $100, with that infamous Mountech rd cracked and into the spokes with a bent hanger. With a lot of work, this is what it looks like now.
Kept both mostly original, with wheels, drivetrain, etc. They are a joy to pedal.
Likes For uprightbent:
Old 01-28-20, 05:00 AM
LBCwanabe 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent

My favorites of all time, my 89' 1000, picked from a garage wall nearly unridden, fully torn down and rebuilt as a regular rider. The original black rack is back on with vintage NOS blue Cannondale panniers.
The 610 (with a Grand Touring decal) is an 84' I picked up for only $100, with that infamous Mountech rd cracked and into the spokes with a bent hanger. With a lot of work, this is what it looks like now.
Kept both mostly original, with wheels, drivetrain, etc. They are a joy to pedal.

Is the stem on that 89 stock?
Old 01-28-20, 09:13 AM
uprightbent

Originally Posted by LBCwanabe
Is the stem on that 89 stock?
No, it's not. The original was black, and stamped with the Miyata M logo, which I foolishly sold off amongst other parts. Wanting everything to be matching and bright polished silver, I usually go with Nitto, even though I don't really like the look of a short 70mm stem, but my back needs its. Seatpost also not original, first owner tossed it with the original saddle, when he opted for some awful cruiser saddle.
Old 01-28-20, 10:14 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by LBCwanabe
Not sure what to call it yet but here’s the keeper​​​​​​: my ‘84 Miyata. Sub 250 miles from the original owner out in Santa Cruz
Good for you! Let's hear the story on how that one got to be "the one".
Old 01-28-20, 01:56 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
No, it's not. The original was black, and stamped with the Miyata M logo, which I foolishly sold off amongst other parts. Wanting everything to be matching and bright polished silver, I usually go with Nitto, even though I don't really like the look of a short 70mm stem, but my back needs its. Seatpost also not original, first owner tossed it with the original saddle, when he opted for some awful cruiser saddle.
What are the Miyata stamped stems worth? I have one laying around in hopes of attaching it to a potential Team Miyata I may come across one day.
Old 01-28-20, 11:12 PM
uprightbent

Originally Posted by BikeWonder
What are the Miyata stamped stems worth? I have one laying around in hopes of attaching it to a potential Team Miyata I may come across one day.

Good question, I don't think they're too valuable. Can't recall what I got for mine, since it was grouped with some other parts, maybe $20-40 is likely, depending upon scratches. Certainly much more if someone's competing a project and needs exactly what you have.
Old 01-29-20, 12:29 AM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I believe that's the "Super Plate", which had a separate short idler arm between the main lower pivot and the pulley cage, that allowed the whole cage to float up and down, sorta like a DuoPar. Suntour also made a Mountech with this basic idea.

I think the one in the photo is adjusted wrong or broken, because the upper pulley is too far away from the freewheel cog. That second idler arm should only be angled down like that when you're on the largest cog. The whole point of the Super Plate (or DuoPar) was to keep the jockey pulley as close to the freewheel as possible in each gear.

I didn't work on them, so I don't know if this is something that can be fixed with an adjustment. Sometimes the springs have more than one hole you can put the anchor tab in. If so, I would try increasing the preload on the spring in the main lower pivot -- that's the spring that makes the idler arm want to go up. Or reduce the tension in the secondary spring, the one on the pulley cage. I bet the proper floating action depends on a balance between those two springs.

Or it could be the pivots are just gummed up, so they can't float to the correct height for each freewheel sprocket. Maybe just a thorough clean'n'lube? Certainly that's the first thing to try.

Mark Bulgier
Irony Cycles
Seattle
I have a super-plate that I'm too lazy to check at the moment, but if I remember correctly, it's basically a duopar except with patent dodging and the tension spring tidily tucked away inside the A-knucle. It's actually quite clever and involves little pullies and a small cable which allows the parallel action to have a greater range of motion than the duopar's parallelogram, letting it transmit the spring tension from the A-knucle to the cage as well. The B-pivot spring doesn't seem to do much of anything. Mine at least, even stripped, cleaned and freshly greased,simply does not want to move at the B-pivot unless there's a huge amount of chain being taken up, although mine could just be binding. All the action is at the A-pivot to cage linkage, which is driven by a single cage tension spring like a duopar. There is tension adjustment, but it just increases chain tension rather than working against another spring. The self-adjusting action relies on the cage rotating clockwise as much as possible. Static friction is kind of high, and it won't self adjust if you knock it out of position, but seems to correct after a shift. It does contain some plastic internal parts I think, so I would avoid especially harsh chemicals. A good spray of WD-40 followed by some oil like restoring gummed up STIs should work okay.

People always say trimec/mountechs are like duopars/superplates, and I'm too cheap to purchase one simply to disassemble, they just look like a more convoluted dual-sprung set up with balance springs, except the derailer doesn't float between the B-pivot and the A-pivot like most Shimano derailleurs made in the past 30 years. Instead the upper spring is located at the A-pivot which is no longer the cage pivot, and it balances against the new cage pivot spring which is on the extra arm.

In regards to self destruction, it's the plastic ring on the guide pulley that tends to disintegrate. Later models replace it with steel, but ultimately, the guide pulley is a non standard part and not replaceable when it does wear out.

Last edited by Kuromori; 01-29-20 at 12:42 AM.