Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Riding goals for 2020

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 10:18 AM
TinyBear

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE, Giant Seek1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Riding goals for 2020

I have set myself a few cycling goals this year. Figure if they here in black and white it’s harder to brush em off and skip em lol. Although I told the wife and I’m sure she going to push me too

One thing I NOT doing this time round is setting a weight goal. I’m just riding to ride and enjoy this time round. Anything weight wise that happens is what it is.

For one I aim to ride the 20km Cambridge to Paris rail trail both ways by the end of the summer.

For two I want to do the Puslinch Twin ponds mountain bike trail as well. One of my favourites before my accident. I used to do a few laps before work and always found it fun. Really miss it and can’t wait to try. But this I know will push my leg quite a bit so I admittedly nervous about this one.

Mostly I hoping to pull of riding 5-10 Kms 5 days a week. This one I think is very achievable as 3 Kms seems ok now though with the varying weather have not got a full 5 days in a row in.

and lastly. If I can pull of the Cambridge to Paris rail trail early enuff in the summer. I may try a big bike event thing around the 50km mark. Something I never attempted pre injury unlike my other goals.

what’s all your goals? Anything I should try to add? Any specific ride some southern ontarians can suggest?
Likes For TinyBear:
Old 01-24-20, 11:46 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
My goal for 2020 is to average 5 miles a day , that works out to 1825 miles for the year . I know some days I won’t be able to ride , and some rides hopefully will be longer to average out .
There’s a MUP about an hour away that’s an 18 mile loop . I hope to do that one at least once .
Then there’s the Silver Comet trail , also about an hour away . My riding friend who’s four years older than I am , I’m 68 , has been wanting to do an outer section he's not ridden before . IIRC , that would be 30 miles out and back . Further than I’ve ever ridden before.
Then there’s the weight loss thing . I too , am not setting an exact goal , but hope to at least equal my 20 lb loss last year .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-24-20, 01:03 PM
Piperflyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well i have been doing 38km / day 4 days a week commuting. Pending not downpour rains and temps are north of 7C. Otherwise, i still commute but take the shorter 10km route. Once a week a ride of a min of 60km - 100km. My goal this year is to get around 5,600+ km for the year.

I plan on doing some Touring and buy a new bike to suit those needs. I still have yet to ride 100 miles in a given day, so far I’ve only done 70 miles. So when weather warms up a tad I plan on checking that century off my list this year as well.

Weight, not too concerned. I started at 275LBS, now at 235LBS. However i was down to 225 but holidays really took me out of my routine. So time to put that back in check, would like to see myself under 220’s by year end I don’t see that as a goal that can not be achieved I’m 6’1. My weight isn’t lack of working out i have a very physical job, its more lack of self control on eating the right stuff and not to over eat. ITS HARD!!! I LOVE ICE CREAM! Haha.

Everyone have a wonderful 2020, ride safe, and enjoy.
Likes For Piperflyer:
Old 01-24-20, 03:47 PM
cisbrane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
My goal for the first part of the year is ride at least 3 hours a week, and hopefully increasing to 5 hours a week as the year goes on. In 2019 I found myself not riding a lot due to scheduling issues, excuses, etc. and I lost a lot of fitness and gained a lot of weight.To do this, I got my new indoor Zwift Pain Cave setup with a Kickr Core. I had not tried Zwift since 2016, and wow trainer technology has improved so much. I love riding on my Kickr Core and really enjoy getting to do virtual group rides at such more convenient times. I have already seen a gain in my fitness now that I am regularly riding 3-4 times a week. My FTP started around 189W Jan 6 202, but now I am already up to 216W Jan 24 2020. Really see this as a big net positive to my fitness goals.

Starting in March, my next goal is to join more (IRL) group rides (at least 2 per month) on the weekend. I haven't ridden over 35mi except for cycling events in quite some time. I am definitely struggling to hold on to many of the groups around me but I hope to get better than 15mph average and lower heart rates with all my indoor training. Proper scheduling will be key to pull this off. I will continue ride indoors during the work week or maybe even outside once it's light out long enough. I plan to try to keep this going for the remainder of the year until Winter again. Texas Summers are tough in that you have only one early morning time to ride without dying of heat. Again, hoping my indoor setup will fill in the gap for the days I can't wake up at 5:30-6am.

Weight goals: 4 years ago I was at 253lbs, and now I'm at 275lbs (down from 280lbs though, my all time high ). I really hope to get back to the vicinity of 253lbs by the end of the year. However, this goal is not my focus and will be a nice extra bonus. I do think my quads are getting bigger though... muscle weight > fat weight.... I am 6'1" so would be really happy to lose 25lbs.

Other goals: I really want to go bike packing. However, expense of equipment has really held me back. Also, It's a little tough in Texas since we have no public lands, but I am lucky there are some campgrounds from my house to the east of Austin that don't have the hills that are doable as a trip. Also, maybe I will start Mountain Biking again... I had a bad crash a few years back that broke bones, bent my wheels, and just haven't been on the trail since.
Likes For cisbrane:
Old 01-27-20, 11:36 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
My goal for this year is 3000 miles and 100k feet of climbing. I almost got to 2000 last year with 63k feet of climbing and that was my first year riding. I think I can make it to my 2020 goals.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 01-27-20, 01:57 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Ride more, have more fun, and maybe do some light touring.

As for weight loss goals, it doesn't happen unless you focus on it. I changed my eating a lot last summer and lost 55 lbs since July. My goal is to lose another 25 lbs by summer, maybe if I am really ambitious, another 50 lbs by next fall.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 01-27-20, 02:05 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cisbrane
My goal for the first part of the year is ride at least 3 hours a week, and hopefully increasing to 5 hours a week as the year goes on. In 2019 I found myself not riding a lot due to scheduling issues, excuses, etc. and I lost a lot of fitness and gained a lot of weight.To do this, I got my new indoor Zwift Pain Cave setup with a Kickr Core. I had not tried Zwift since 2016, and wow trainer technology has improved so much. I love riding on my Kickr Core and really enjoy getting to do virtual group rides at such more convenient times. I have already seen a gain in my fitness now that I am regularly riding 3-4 times a week. My FTP started around 189W Jan 6 202, but now I am already up to 216W Jan 24 2020. Really see this as a big net positive to my fitness goals.

Starting in March, my next goal is to join more (IRL) group rides (at least 2 per month) on the weekend. I haven't ridden over 35mi except for cycling events in quite some time. I am definitely struggling to hold on to many of the groups around me but I hope to get better than 15mph average and lower heart rates with all my indoor training. Proper scheduling will be key to pull this off. I will continue ride indoors during the work week or maybe even outside once it's light out long enough. I plan to try to keep this going for the remainder of the year until Winter again. Texas Summers are tough in that you have only one early morning time to ride without dying of heat. Again, hoping my indoor setup will fill in the gap for the days I can't wake up at 5:30-6am.

Weight goals: 4 years ago I was at 253lbs, and now I'm at 275lbs (down from 280lbs though, my all time high ). I really hope to get back to the vicinity of 253lbs by the end of the year. However, this goal is not my focus and will be a nice extra bonus. I do think my quads are getting bigger though... muscle weight > fat weight.... I am 6'1" so would be really happy to lose 25lbs.

Other goals: I really want to go bike packing. However, expense of equipment has really held me back. Also, It's a little tough in Texas since we have no public lands, but I am lucky there are some campgrounds from my house to the east of Austin that don't have the hills that are doable as a trip. Also, maybe I will start Mountain Biking again... I had a bad crash a few years back that broke bones, bent my wheels, and just haven't been on the trail since.
Over 7 years, my weight fluctuated between summer and winter, with the general trend being up. I was around 255 lbs seven years ago. Last June, my after flirting with the 300 lb mark for a couple of years, I finally got over 310 lbs. This led me to look closely at what I was eating. Too much of the wrong stuff (processed food, bread, pasta, rice potatoes and sugar especially). I made some changes and 7 months later, I am down to 258, so almost back to where I was 7 years ago. I am not done. I want to get below 230 by summer, and 210 by the end of the year. I wish I started focusing more on my weight before I got over 300 lbs. If I had, I would be approaching 220 lbs now instead of 250 and I would be almost done.

Weight loss isn't a byproduct of bike riding or any other physical activity, since it is easy to eat back the calories you burn. It has to be part of your focus or it won't happen. That is my experience.
Old 01-28-20, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
The major ones:

Start commuting again once the weather improves. I have to work in NJ a couple of days/week and I am tired of driving the car. It's going to hit 10,000 miles tomorrow and the thing is just shy of 3 years, seven moths old.

Several long-weekend tours in the spring leading up to a two-week, unsupported tour in Montana and Idaho. Route and overnight spots are planned. Booked the flights last week.

An eight-day, unsupported tour across Pennsylvania in September.
Old 01-28-20, 11:10 PM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
I've been away for a while... Most likely, I'll always be a Clyde, especially since I'm more worried about performance than weight. I think 1200 mi between the exercycle and the real thing is doable for my 1st year back with no long (40+mi) rides planned.
Likes For WebFootFreak:
Old 01-29-20, 06:13 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I've just got a modest target of 6,000km (3,750 miles) for 2020 and hope to get at least 10 metric centuries in and a true century ride in at some time. Before that, by March 1st I'm hoping to dip under the 200lb mark (currently 206lbs).
Old 01-31-20, 09:01 PM
pdxn8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 to all the comments about making the goal about time, distance, or hours and not about weight. My goal for for the calendar year is to ride more miles than the number of hours I spend in the office. I'll need to hit ~2100 to get there.

I'm not particularly fond of my job at the moment - so this feels more like mental therapy than exercise.
Likes For pdxn8:
Old 02-01-20, 08:53 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I'm 64 years old and 219 lbs.....my goal is a 100 miles a month minimum and if time/health/weather permit more then I will do more
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 02-02-20, 09:18 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Piperflyer
Well i have been doing 38km / day 4 days a week commuting. Pending not downpour rains and temps are north of 7C. Otherwise, i still commute but take the shorter 10km route. Once a week a ride of a min of 60km - 100km. My goal this year is to get around 5,600+ km for the year.

I plan on doing some Touring and buy a new bike to suit those needs. I still have yet to ride 100 miles in a given day, so far I’ve only done 70 miles. So when weather warms up a tad I plan on checking that century off my list this year as well.

Weight, not too concerned. I started at 275LBS, now at 235LBS. However i was down to 225 but holidays really took me out of my routine. So time to put that back in check, would like to see myself under 220’s by year end I don’t see that as a goal that can not be achieved I’m 6’1. My weight isn’t lack of working out i have a very physical job, its more lack of self control on eating the right stuff and not to over eat. ITS HARD!!! I LOVE ICE CREAM! Haha.

Everyone have a wonderful 2020, ride safe, and enjoy.
just noticed "Piperflyer" I started out in a Tomahawk then to a PA28-140, took my flight test in a PA28-160....many years ago
Old 02-02-20, 03:55 PM
ECB1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My goals for 2020 riding I hope will be 1000 miles. I started riding as a clyde at 343lbs and I have brought myself down to 188lbs. The mileage seems low for most people but 5 years ago I came down with Lyme disease and it is slowly crippling me. I rode just under 500 miles last year on my good days and sat in the recliner on bad days. Even at my present weight I will always be a Clyde and on good days I can still make that bike go. I am looking forward to my first ride of the year which is 3/1/20 snow or not. Good news is I have found a good Doctor and he is treating me and says we can beat this. Everyone hold your head up high and ride.
Likes For ECB1:
Old 02-02-20, 05:45 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by ECB1
My goals for 2020 riding I hope will be 1000 miles. I started riding as a clyde at 343lbs and I have brought myself down to 188lbs. The mileage seems low for most people but 5 years ago I came down with Lyme disease and it is slowly crippling me. I rode just under 500 miles last year on my good days and sat in the recliner on bad days. Even at my present weight I will always be a Clyde and on good days I can still make that bike go. I am looking forward to my first ride of the year which is 3/1/20 snow or not. Good news is I have found a good Doctor and he is treating me and says we can beat this. Everyone hold your head up high and ride.
Congrats on the weight loss .
I’ve been a Clyde most of my life and probably will always be 200+ . I’m down to 277 from close to the 300 mark . At my age it’s taken me longer to lose than it has ever before .
A good friend of mine caught Lyme disease and his doctor was successful with meds in getting him back to normal .
Good luck beating the Lyme disease .
Old 02-09-20, 06:33 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
I want to lose weight, at least 20lbs but ideally 50.
Also want to do at least one 200km brevet, never having done one.
Old 02-10-20, 06:07 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm 67 and 215 lbs. My goal is the same as it has been for years: drive my car less than 3000 miles, when winter breaks ride a metric century once a week and take 3 week long self supported tours somewhere.

Marc
Old 02-11-20, 08:43 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
My goal is to ride 7000 miles, this includes trainer mileage. Also ride a few days on a tour. Be healthier than last year. Pretty simple goals.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 04-09-20, 12:40 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Good luck with your Lyme disease therapy.
Old 04-09-20, 12:52 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
My goals for 2020 is to not get Covid-19, lose more weight and keep riding my bicycles. I started at 282lbs last March and am down to 234lbs using Myfitnesspal. A healthy BMI weight is my ultimate goal for weight reduction. I'll continue to walk and ride bicycle for health and just good old fashioned fun.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 04-12-20, 06:21 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Given the present circumstances, my goal for this year is to ride on 12/31, if you know what I mean...
Likes For GerryinHouston:
Old 04-13-20, 09:17 AM
kahughey

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 29 Posts
My goal for the year is 1000 miles. I have been off the bike for a couple of years but got back on due to the pandemic. It really provides the ability to get away and I am enjoying it.
Likes For kahughey:
Old 04-13-20, 07:25 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
I have found my riding and weight loss are somewhat independent of each other. I would like to lose weight but that is more a function of diet and beer intake - did I mention I do like beer?

my goal for riding is to do 45 miles per week for at least 40 weeks for 1800 miles this year. Last Year I prob did about 1200 miles.

My main ride is a paved trail with that I tend to ride 15 miles total per ride. It is a half hour drive to get to it so I only do it 2-4 times per week. Riding in my community isnt great, but I do have a 8 mile side road loop that I don't mind if time is short.

I also have a lifetime goal of riding my age on my birthday - I did 45 last year, this year that will be 46 in august.. I would also like to stay ahead of my 21 year old daughter and her 20 yo BF - bought them road bikes this year to get into and so far - they think its hard to keep up with this old guy - hope to keep that going too..
Old 04-13-20, 07:58 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I’ve done 6,700 - 7,000 each of the last few years, I hope to maintain this. At 104 days into the year I’m at 1,844 miles, this annualizes out to a rate of 6,472 for the year. So slightly behind but I usually pick up a bit in summer with more light and no rain. Also did my birthday ride (62 miles) a couple weeks ago. Don’t know if I will do any centuries this year, did three last year.