Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a wheel upgrade

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-28-20, 09:08 PM
thebikeset

Bikes: Trek Crossrip (Cyclocross), Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Looking to upgrade the wheels to my 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite Shimano 105 Disc sealed catrtridge hubs, 14g spokes 24h. It came with DT swiss (which i dont love). any suggestions for a nice wheel that can take a little gravel and bumpiness?
Old 01-28-20, 09:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
What dont you like about your current wheelset and what's your budget?

Do you want more spokes? Less spokes? Wider rim profile? More aero rim profile? Lighter overall wheelset? do younwant carbon rims?
Do you want to Carbon rims? 200? 500? 1400?

There are seemingly endless options for wheelsets, and if you go with an individual builder then the endless options somehow increase. Narrowing down based on what you want in a new wheelset will help.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-28-20, 09:32 PM
thebikeset

Bikes: Trek Crossrip (Cyclocross), Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What dont you like about your current wheelset and what's your budget?

Do you want more spokes? Less spokes? Wider rim profile? More aero rim profile? Lighter overall wheelset? do younwant carbon rims?
Do you want to Carbon rims? 200? 500? 1400?

There are seemingly endless options for wheelsets, and if you go with an individual builder then the endless options somehow increase. Narrowing down based on what you want in a new wheelset will help.
hmmm guess its not that simple....i guess i would like a little lighter not aero but stiff but not wide...im sure i make no sense.
Old 01-28-20, 11:28 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by thebikeset
hmmm guess its not that simple....i guess i would like a little lighter not aero but stiff but not wide...im sure i make no sense.
Just go ride whatcha got, man... once you figure out what you like, dislike, need vs want then you can start searching out trinkets which will not make you a better cyclist in any way, shape, or form, no mater how much you spend. Pedal. A lot. Hard. Take breaks. Eat and rest appropriately. Pedal more. A lot more. Wear out the wheels you’re riding now, then buy something else. Pedaling is the only thing that makes a great cyclist. Everything else is just feeding a hobby, habit or addiction. Unless, and only if, you’re a pro, in which case the team is paying for all your gear.
Old 01-29-20, 07:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Are these the wheels? https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-700c-wheelset

You really should be the one to weigh what you have and list it, along with budget and whatever else you want in the new wheelset, so people can suggest actually useful options that meet your wants.
There is no point in someone suggesting a $1200 carbon wheelset when your budget is $450.

If the link is what your wheelset is, then they are a really good mix of width(20mm internal), weight(1670g), and are tubeless ready.
Old 01-29-20, 09:18 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Hi,

Looking to upgrade the wheels to my 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite Shimano 105 Disc sealed catrtridge hubs, 14g spokes 24h. It came with DT swiss (which i dont love). any suggestions for a nice wheel that can take a little gravel and bumpiness?
Get a PowerTap wheel set and apply it to a structured training program. An extra 50 Watts will do far more for your speed than $2000 carbon fiber wheels.

At common apparent wind yaw angles better wheels usually save under 1.5W at 20 MPH and 4W at 30, with the difference increasing to 3.5W and 12W respectively using bad contemporary alloy wheels in atypical crosswinds.

500g lighter wheels save a 70kg rider on a 9kg bicycle just 25 seconds an hour climbing in the mountains - 0.7% faster, which is a 1.75 W savings for that rider producing 250 W.

If that 500 g was where the rubber meets the road it would count double accelerating for up to 1.3% of total kinetic energy. However, accelerating that rotating weight from 0–20 MPH takes only 2 (kinetic energy rotating + in a straight line) * 0.5 kg * (8.9 m/s)^2 / 1000 kj / j = 0.079 kj which is what you spend covering 12 feet at 20 MPH requiring 35 kj / mile.

https://www.quora.com/Are-wheels-the.../Drew-Eckhardt

Stress relieve your wheels, insure they have adequate uniform tension, and you'll be fine until you bend the rims on a road obstacle or crash them.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-29-20 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: