Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Install-Won't Seal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-17-11, 12:38 PM
OTHB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have a new set of Hutchinson Intensive tubeless tires, with Cafe Latex stems and sealant. Can't get the valve stem sealed properly, keeps bubbling sealant around the stem and losing pressure. Anyone had this problem, and even better yet, figured out a fix?

Thanks VERY much for any thoughts/sugggestions, been struggling with this for a couple of days now.
Old 06-17-11, 04:38 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I would suggest using a different sealant. The best I've found so far is a homemade mix of 1 part latex mold builder, 1 part automotive green slime, and 2 parts water. You may still get some bubbling, but it WILL eventually seal.
Old 06-17-11, 04:53 PM
pmt
Experienced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never used Caffe Latex valve stems; you might try Stan's stems, which I've used a bunch of, and make sure they're really tight. For that matter, make sure the valve stem you have is really tight. Of all the Road Tubeless tires I've put on, I've never had issues with valve stems, and have used Shimano, Stan's, and a few cut out of old tubulars.