Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 12:03 AM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Nice ride this morning. But my shoes were wet from last night, so that was a bummer.

I had planned to go buy new shoes and a new computer last night and a few other things from the local gear coop.
I tried every gaiter and bootie they have at MEC last season; none kept my feet dry longer than 10 minutes. Think water was penetrating through the cleat attachment point in the sole. Ended up buying a pair of 45NRTH Fasterkatt SPD cycling boots; 100% waterproof, though a tad warm for summer rains. I just carry extra socks this time of year. In a few weeks it'll be cool enough for the Fasterkatts again.

Originally Posted by joeyduck
The magic interweb told me they were open until 9, so I opted for dinner and a few other errands first. Got there at 8, closed at 7. Bummer.
I was there Tuesday; first day of their fall hours apparently. The staff were confused as to why their shifts were ending at 7:45 instead of 9:45pm; took them a while to realize it was because they closed at 7.
Old 09-04-14, 12:26 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
I tried every gaiter and bootie they have at MEC last season; none kept my feet dry longer than 10 minutes. Think water was penetrating through the cleat attachment point in the sole. Ended up buying a pair of 45NRTH Fasterkatt SPD cycling boots; 100% waterproof, though a tad warm for summer rains. I just carry extra socks this time of year. In a few weeks it'll be cool enough for the Fasterkatts again.

I was there Tuesday; first day of their fall hours apparently. The staff were confused as to why their shifts were ending at 7:45 instead of 9:45pm; took them a while to realize it was because they closed at 7.

I have thought about something like that, but I am too cheap. I am happy with my current setup. I actively chose to not bring my shoe covers and then I forgot to take out the insoles.

I put duct tape over my cleat holes and I wear the MEC shoe covers and some old tights similar to the adanac or vuelta tights. I have kept them nearly dry when I do that. So it works for me and I get a full shower and change at work.

I got there after a long awaited hair cut tonight at 6:45. The returns line up was at least 15 people deep and it took me ten+ minutes to take care of some returns of unsatisfactory products. So I got a few things for the in laws but not time for new gloves or shoes for me. My shoes are separating and I can fit my hand through the hole between the footbed and sole. At least 10,000 km on them.

Last edited by joeyduck; 09-04-14 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 12:33 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute home was nice, I took it mostly easy.

The area of new bike lanes I do not like presented extra problems tonight. Almost got right hooked by a Canada Post truck. Then avoiding a car straddling the bike lane to pick up passengers I took the lane only to lock up the rear to not hit a group illegally crossing. The city really f'd up with this. Then the girl I almost hit got lippy cause she was buries in her ipod and she thought me letting someone behind her go was me talking back to her. I got a giggle from a middle age woman who knew I said nothing. There is a section I am supposed to walk on the sidewalk for 30+ meters. Sigh.

Then I had to chase a guy almost the same pace as me. I didn't catch him, nor did I lose him.

The rest of the ride was nice and leisurely.
Old 09-04-14, 05:04 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The ride in today was a nice uneventful ride. The sun is rising later and later making when I am leaving darker.

I brought my bike to the lbs yesterday to have the brake adjusted and he also adjusted the shifters so they move into each gear smoothly.
Old 09-04-14, 05:10 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uneventfull...that can be a good thing.
Old 09-04-14, 06:39 AM
JPinWI

Bikes: Schwinn DBX, Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried to wait out a series of Tstorms and Lightening episodes that started about 3am. No Luck...Drove in along my usual route. The hills don't seem nearly a hilly in a minivan. Maybe tomorrow. :-)
Old 09-04-14, 06:56 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Not rain, just spitting, so I was fine in my summer jersey and shorts, a few drops on my glasses. I thought I would get cool, being slightly wet, but I was fine and after the first 6km (~15min), I didn't even notice if I was cool or not.

Forecast is for rain or even thunderstorms in the afternoon/evening: I'm prepared for it (well, the rain).
Old 09-04-14, 07:15 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As JPinWI said ... storms here. No ride.
Old 09-04-14, 07:21 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Humidity is back as is high temps - yumm. Took the long way home yesterday and got a text from a friend that there was a tree on the mup pretty close to my house. Didn't think much of it until I got there - it was an entire tree across the entire path, a big sucker! I hate stopping but there was no way around it or safely over/under without walking. I did my civic duty and tweeted about it to the trail folks. Still there this morning
Old 09-04-14, 08:00 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunny, cool, less humidity. Nice ride. good tailwind.

Last night on the way home I broke a rear Wheel spoke. In the past when I broke spokes they always broke near the hub so I would keep on going and fix it at home. But last night it broke near the Wheel so it immediately twisted itself between the hub and the frame, making a hell of a noise. I had to stop to untangle the spoke and remove it.
This morning I'm with the spare Wheel, I'll fixed it tonight.
Old 09-04-14, 09:33 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much less humidity today, but I forgot my keys! I brought the bike inside instead of locking to the rack. My co-workers don't mind, but it does take up an empty cubicle.
Old 09-04-14, 09:40 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Back in the saddle today after two days driving. Forecasts called for thunderstorms yesterday but they never materialized in my area. However, I had to drive for other reasons anyway. Weather still hot and humid, but they finally fixed the hot-water heater at my office. First hot shower at work in the past 3 weeks.
Old 09-04-14, 09:59 AM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
was a beautiful morning for a ride to work. At my exit on the MUT, to guys were going to try and pass me on the left with no warning; my comment to them was "On your left goes a long way" and then they bumped into each-other; it was amazing that they didnt hit the deck.
Old 09-04-14, 10:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Encountered a bike lane salmon this morning. Briefly thought about engaging him in a game of chicken but remembered I was on my good bike. Why can't I ever meet these idiots when I'm on my beater?
Old 09-04-14, 10:08 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
Much less humidity today, but I forgot my keys! I brought the bike inside instead of locking to the rack. My co-workers don't mind, but it does take up an empty cubicle.
You should get it a temp job and have it make you money.

I had a nice ride this morning. I fixed the sticky shifter on my new bike and went out to get a good ride. I got 47.5 km in, I wanted to do about 10 more but I was already 15 minutes late for work.

It was a nice ride with a cool start and no wind. The new bike is so fast compared to me LHT. I averaged 30 km/h over the 1.5 hours. I was going to count it the ride my age birthday ride but I was 5 miles short and I won't have the time to put in a longer ride until next weekend.
Old 09-04-14, 11:33 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
@tarwheel i seem to remember last year you faced the same issues. what is it with the water heaters at your work?

I had a great ride home yesterday. Later than I had planned but worked great for missing the "crazy" traffic. luckily work has kinda settled down from last weeks drama. Still some lingering effects but a bike ride sure helps with the stress.

I rode in this morning and had a great time felt a few crazy rain drops along the way. Really missing my road tires these cyclocross tires my son said "wow dad you must like riding because it sure looks like it is going to rain" little meteorlogist in the making.
Old 09-04-14, 11:57 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pleasant 16 mile commute into work this morning. Felt good. Yesterday coming home I was ran off the road by a pickup pulling 3 wagons of tobacco. He came up behind me in a sharp curve and never slowed down. It was uphill so I was going very slow. It ticked me off that he didn't honk and or at least yell a warning as he passed. I would have gladly moved off the road. I guy on a motorcycle did warn me there was another truck and wagon coming along. Thankfully I made it home safely.
Old 09-04-14, 12:49 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
@tarwheel i seem to remember last year you faced the same issues. what is it with the water heaters at your work?
They shut down the boilers at work every year for 2-4 weeks to do maintenance, so we have no hot water during that period. It's crazy. I've never heard of anyone else doing that. I just suffer through it and take cold showers.
Old 09-04-14, 12:58 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
They shut down the boilers at work every year for 2-4 weeks to do maintenance, so we have no hot water during that period. It's crazy. I've never heard of anyone else doing that. I just suffer through it and take cold showers.
Yikes that is bad. I find that if I shower after 10 am I do not have hot water while they clean equipment.
Old 09-04-14, 01:07 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
that is tough. i bet it sure is refreshing and i have never heard of that either.

Old 09-04-14, 01:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I lived in Almaty, KZ, in 97-98 and they would do this twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. People just accepted it; the old Soviet attitude, I guess.
Old 09-04-14, 01:45 PM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm just happy to have showers at work.
Old 09-04-14, 01:53 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no commutes this week at all since on the long weekend I jumped my MTB and landed on my thumb.

I was stuck in crazy traffic yesterday and wanted to SNAP. Next week I'm riding even if I only have one hand. (At least I'll have my sanity.)
Old 09-04-14, 02:00 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78
no commutes this week at all since on the long weekend I jumped my MTB and landed on my thumb.

I was stuck in crazy traffic yesterday and wanted to SNAP. Next week I'm riding even if I only have one hand. (At least I'll have my sanity.)
Ouch, bummer. Landing on the thumb really mess' things up. I hurt both thumbs skiing once and holding anything was challenge.
Old 09-04-14, 02:42 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
my comment to them was "On your left goes a long way"
Try saying, "On your right" as they pass you on your left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.