Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wabi Classic vs Cooper Monza vs ?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 10:36 PM
CaroDe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm new here and don't know much about bikes.
I'm looking at getting a good one speed for the first time (which will be my only bike). I've ride mountain bikes pretty much my whole life (not even a single road bike) so it's a big change for me. But I'm tired to ride tanks and want to go light.

I've been looking at many different brands, bikes, parts, etc and my choice stopped at these two : wabi classic, Cooper Monza, and if you have any other suggestion they are welcome.

I'll use it everyday to commute and ride in the week-ends, i don't want to worry to much about it (ready to ride kinda thing). Around 20lb or lighter as I'll have to carry it in the stairs (woman/5'5"/105lb I let you imagine with a 25lb on my back), was looking for a steal frame maybe with carbon or aluminium parts, straight handlebar, really comfortable to ride, good vibration absorption, as I'm use to more thicker tires, I don't want something too shaky (even though I know I'll have to adapt). I can go around 900$ if I know I'm investing in a quality bike that I won't have to change 2 years later or replace all the parts after few month because they were low quality.

I read reviews about the Kilo TT here and everybody seam to agreed on the fact that is the best one you can get for your money, but Wabi had better reviews here too (except from one website "BikeRadar" -for what its worth, don't know anything about them- who rated 3 stars only on the wabi special). The Cooper, doesn't have much reviews, except from the same website which gave it a 5/5. The look was originally one of my concerns as I wanted a full black matte bike but at this point I just want something good that I'll enjoy riding for a good while.

Btw I'm located in Montréal Canada if that somewhat makes a difference.

Thanks a lot !
Old 05-04-15, 06:36 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Wabi Classic, hands down. It's available in a small size with 650c wheels that is very lightweight. Also, you can get it customized for fit, gearing, saddle and handlebars. And, of course, Wabi ships to Canada.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-04-15, 06:45 AM
bpr

Bikes: '11 All City Big Block, '92 Specialized StumpJumper, '06 Kona Smoke

Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
TT nailed it. Wabi Classic.
Old 05-04-15, 08:40 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First time post and comparing a previously unheard of brand to a well-known and liked brand. This smells a bit like a shill to me. Not conclusive but just a whiff.
Old 05-04-15, 09:26 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by prooftheory
First time post and comparing a previously unheard of brand to a well-known and liked brand. This smells a bit like a shill to me. Not conclusive but just a whiff.
Nah. I don't get that vibe at all. Way too much specific personal info and no linky to that other brand. Regardless, the Wabi is a much better choice.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-04-15, 10:35 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Wabi with 650 wheels and like it a lot. I'm 5'5". Besides being cheaper than the other Wabi models it has eyelets for fenders, a rear rack and will take wider tires. Oops-the 650 doesn't have eyelets but the 49cm frame does. Check with Richard the owner of Wabi as to which frame size he recommends. The top tube of the 49cm at 53cm may be too long for you. Or you may need a really short stem that could present twitchy handling. The 650 frame has a very short head tube and the drop from the saddle to the bars may be too much for drop bars but you stated you wanted straight bars and with riser stem may be just right for you. Bottom line-you will be very happy with a Wabi and Richard's service.
Old 05-04-15, 05:07 PM
CaroDe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the feedbacks.
I already talked to Richard few weeks ago, and he's such a nice guy, really helpfull so I'll stick to my first choice. It's even better knowing you'll get the best customer service possible !
Wabi it is !
Old 05-05-15, 01:46 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Wabi Classic and love it. like others said, aside from it being a good bike, Richard is an awesome guy and it's nice supporting such a great business.
Old 05-05-15, 05:06 AM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i enjoy these threads as i am in the market for a SS. the wabi classic being one of them vs. all city big block.
Old 05-05-15, 05:41 AM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I choose between those two myself recently. The deciding factor for me was color. I went with wabi. I didn't like silver/white thing they had going on with the all city.

Both are great choices.
Old 05-05-15, 06:05 AM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the big block i can get local, although felt a bit heavy. the wabi is $200 cheaper and lighter. decisions.
Old 05-05-15, 07:25 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Big block roooaaaarrrrrrrrr!
Old 05-05-15, 11:31 AM
icepik1234

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently received my new Wabi classic. I was debating between a couple different bikes but after talking on the phone with Richard my mind was pretty much made up. I appreciate having someone to contact if I have any issues or questions. All City bikes are dope though.
Old 05-06-15, 08:22 AM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CaroDe my spies tell me you ordered a Wabi. What model and size?
Old 05-06-15, 09:55 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Big Block is a sick ride too. Can't go wrong with either.

And show pics of whatever you get!
Old 05-06-15, 10:22 AM
icepik1234

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
The Big Block is a sick ride too. Can't go wrong with either.

And show pics of whatever you get!
This thread definitely needs pics!
Old 05-09-15, 06:18 PM
CaroDe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally received my Wabi!!

Seriously it looks amazing, I didn't expected it too be that nice to be honest. I've even been stopped by people in the street!
Which leeds me to a serious problem : The lock!!!! I don't mean to offend anyone by starting to talk about locks in this thread, so I won't but if anyone could link me to another thread, that would be really appreciated!
I keep it at home at night, but at work it will need to stay outside, so now I'm stressing out and wondering if I shouldn't have gotten a ****ty bike at the end :/

I just came back from my local bike shop (needed some advice on locks), and of course they want to sell what they have. Also (didn't think about that at all at the beginning) but the guy (before seeing my bike) wanted to get me switch the screwers to put anti-thefts ones, which would have been nice, because that way I can just lock the frame and thats it, but the wabi doesn't allow it... so I have to lock everything (frame, front wheel, rear wheel), or change my wheels...great! If I would have known that, I would of have probably consider getting the frame only, but whatever it's done.

So right now I'm thinking of getting the "kryptonite evolution mini-6 lite" for the front wheel, frame, and the think I'm gonna lock it to, and the "kryptoflex lock cable" for the back wheel, linked to the U lock.
If anyone thinks it's a bad idea for some reasons, please let me know.

That being said, it IS amazing to ride ! I mean, I thought I would have a tough time riding a road bike after riding mountain one, and I tried many fixed locally before getting this one online without even testing it (that was one reason I almost didn't purchased it LA is kinda far from Montreal) and it's so comfortable, after 2 rides I'm officially in love !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1 (1).jpg (99.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-09-15, 08:24 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
^^ I think it's cool that your local giant was willing to hold the bike for that pic
Old 05-09-15, 09:15 PM
CaroDe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...it's actually my dad visiting from france. He even thought the bike was too thin and would be uncomfortable until he tried it himself!
Old 05-12-15, 06:50 AM
tdn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you elaborate on why the Wabi wouldn't allow for skewers? You can easily have a skewer conversion done, in fact, Richard sells the kits for his wheels. I'd caution that the rear skewer may be a little weak for commuting, but at only 105lbs, I don't think you have much to worry about.

I was in the same boat as you, I was searching high and low for my best security measures for the bike I built up recently and spent too much money on for a commuter. I emailed a few companies about bolt on wheel locks, and the only company that apparently makes them is Sphyke. I emailed the sales manager a bunch and he's hooking me up so I'm going to give them a try. My only concern is the bulkiness, but I guess if that my only trade off, it's better than carrying several locks.

I use a pinhead headset lock as well. I also have a pinhead seat post lock, but I'm waiting for the Sphyke kit to come in to compare before I put it on.

`

Last edited by tdn; 05-12-15 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 07:45 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdn
...I emailed a few companies about bolt on wheel locks, and the only company that apparently makes them is Sphyke...
Pitlock
Old 05-12-15, 08:02 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by JeremyLC
Those keyed nuts give you a false sense of security, since you can defeat them with channel lock or vice grip pliers, and they don't tighten sufficiently to secure the rear wheel with track dropouts.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 05-12-15, 08:28 AM
tdn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
Those are for through axles.. not bolt on.

I've reached out to Pitlock, Pinhead and Sphyke.

Sphyke, is the only one who seems to make some kind of bolt on security measure. Wabi uses bolt on hubs for their wheels, which I prefer.

Bolt-on Hub security | Secured by Sphyke C3N

Last edited by tdn; 05-12-15 at 08:43 AM. Reason: I said solid axles, when I should have said through
Old 05-12-15, 08:38 AM
tdn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I'll write up a review of the Sphyke kit I get. They aren't well known, at least not in North America. I asked them about any North American distributors and their response was

Originally Posted by Sphyke
In english speaking countries we deal direct with the shops

But mainly we sell direct to customers through our online store.
So they didn't really answer my question, or at least put me in touch with a U.S. distributor but they did kind of hook me up so I bought from them directly.

I did some research, they look promising and seem to be doing well in Europe. I saw a video of some guy trying to smash one of these things with a hammer and it held up fine (that video seems to have been removed though?). Apparently it'll hold up fine to vice grips, glue etc.. I kind of wish I ordered an extra just to try to destroy. I already have a pinhead seat post lock, maybe I'll mess with the Sphyke seat post lock to see how well it holds up.

Last edited by tdn; 05-12-15 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 10:22 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tdn
Those are for through axles.. not bolt on.

I've reached out to Pitlock, Pinhead and Sphyke.

Sphyke, is the only one who seems to make some kind of bolt on security measure. Wabi uses bolt on hubs for their wheels, which I prefer.

Bolt-on Hub security | Secured by Sphyke C3N
I... don't think you're using the right terms. There are pitlocks for hollow axles (quick release) and solid axles (nutted). Thru-axles are a newer variation of the quick release.

TT is right, though. (can it hurt to make it just a BIT more difficult, though?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.