Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on where to buy a hitch

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 11:42 AM
murrellington

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm deciding to buy a hitch rack and was deciding between the Kuat NV and the 1up usa. I think I'm gonna just do it and get the 1up.

I want to get the 2"hitch rack so it can be more stable, but on etrailer i only see 1-1/4 hitches for a 2008 Jetta. Is it possible to get a 2" hitch or do i just have to buy an adaptor?

Any recommendations for a retailer that I should go to, either brick and mortar or online?
Old 05-15-15, 11:46 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
You should probably crosspost this in general or MTB.

Especially the latter as I've seen many more MTB's on hitch mounted racks than roadies.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 05-15-15, 11:49 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can a mod move this to MTB? Pretty please.
Old 05-15-15, 12:08 PM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FYI, i have the 1up usa, and i totally recommend it. I have this plus an extra tray. It has an adapter that lets you use the rack in either 1-1/4" or 2" receivers. My jeep has a 2" receiver and my wifes element has a 1-1/4 receiver. FWIW, I don't notice much difference as far as stability of the rack between the two. Unless you need (want) the 2" for other purposes, I wouldn't be worried about going with a 1-1/4 hitch, on a jetta anyway.
Old 05-15-15, 01:14 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatulentfox
FYI, i have the 1up usa, and i totally recommend it. I have this plus an extra tray. It has an adapter that lets you use the rack in either 1-1/4" or 2" receivers. My jeep has a 2" receiver and my wifes element has a 1-1/4 receiver. FWIW, I don't notice much difference as far as stability of the rack between the two. Unless you need (want) the 2" for other purposes, I wouldn't be worried about going with a 1-1/4 hitch, on a jetta anyway.
Good to know, I guess I just wanted a 2" because I like to be over prepared for anything. Also, it was other hitch racks that I read about that were not too sturdy on the 1-1/4" hitch. But apparently that is not the case for the 1up.
Man, it looks like we have the same everything. Our bikes are extremely similar and now we're going to have the same hitch rack.
Old 05-15-15, 03:13 PM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by murrellington
Good to know, I guess I just wanted a 2" because I like to be over prepared for anything. Also, it was other hitch racks that I read about that were not too sturdy on the 1-1/4" hitch. But apparently that is not the case for the 1up.
I absolutely understand wanting a 2". I would probably do the same. I would certainly provide more versatility for other uses.

Originally Posted by murrellington
Man, it looks like we have the same everything. Our bikes are extremely similar and now we're going to have the same hitch rack.
Just means you have good taste
Old 05-15-15, 04:07 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is the Jetta rated to actually tow anything though? It doesn't seem like it would be brilliant to get a 2 inch hitch if the only things that it can tow require a 1 1/4 coupling.
Old 05-15-15, 04:14 PM
Flatulentfox

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The reason I would be interested in a 2" would be for added stability for other things, like the cargo racks you can get, etc.

And, any tow-ables would connect the the ball, not the receiver. A 2" receiver would not limit what you can tow (not that you would be towing anything significant with a jetta).
Old 05-15-15, 04:16 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good point. I had some derp there.

Looking back at murellington's original question they may only have a 1 1/4 inch coupling because that is all that will fit in the appropriate places in the car. When they install those things there is sometimes like a plastic mudguard up under there that can be cut through for the coupling to stick out of but they only want to cut so much. You might actually try asking the VW dealer if they know whether a 2 inch hitch exists.

Last edited by prooftheory; 05-15-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 04:34 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Most places that install hitches won't install 2" recievers on cars not rated for towing. One way to get around it is to have them not install the plug for lights. Anything big enough to need a 2" reciever would probably require tail lights.
Old 05-15-15, 08:38 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't know 2" receiver was such a big deal. I can do without it then! Thanks for the help guys.

And grandma gave me $500 today for graduating college. Woo! Going straight towards my 1up USA.