Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Walkable vs Standard Cleats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speedplay Walkable vs Standard Cleats

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 11:08 AM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The reason I got them was to reduce/eliminate wear on the metal part of the cleats. At 50% more than the cost of the cleats, if they increase the life of the cleats by 100%, it's worth it.
Old 09-12-17, 02:19 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Reporting back, and while I really like the walkable cleats, I've now lost the right built-in cleat cover on both sets of cleats that I've purchased. It's too bad they aren't universal, because now I have two extra left covers. $20/pop is expensive for plastic covers, but if it saves me from wearing out another $54 set of cleats maybe it's worth it.

Anyone have an extra right-foot walkable cover?
Old 09-12-17, 10:57 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Have any of you actually used the walkable cleats?

With all due respect, the question was for those with experience using the product.
Yes, I have.

I have 2 pairs of shoes - 1 with walkables and 1 with standard cleats.

I have not been toone impressed by the walkables because:
- The cleat mechanism is not as robust
- The little screw in covers are awkward to insert and remove
- They aren't really much more "walkable".

I don't think I'll get them again ... I'll just continue using my kool kovers.
Old 09-13-17, 06:23 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
Reporting back, and while I really like the walkable cleats, I've now lost the right built-in cleat cover on both sets of cleats that I've purchased.
How'd you do that twice? Is there something wrong with that right cleat? I've swapped over to the walkable cleats in the time since this thread was started, and they've been nothing but secure on sidewalks, gravel, grass, dirt, etc.
Old 09-13-17, 09:01 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I have a set of walkables that came with the pedals for bike #n+1. When I install them, I guess I will plan to use two dots of GE clear silicone caulk to secure the covers.
Old 09-13-17, 09:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How'd you do that twice? Is there something wrong with that right cleat? I've swapped over to the walkable cleats in the time since this thread was started, and they've been nothing but secure on sidewalks, gravel, grass, dirt, etc.
I lost a cover.

It felt funny while walking. Looked down at a rest stop and it was just gone.

No way to know for sure but I may have habitually slid my foot against the pedal while clipping in and thereby knocked the cover off in instead of pressing straight down as the instructions say.

-Tim-
Old 09-13-17, 09:29 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
Reporting back, and while I really like the walkable cleats, I've now lost the right built-in cleat cover on both sets of cleats that I've purchased. It's too bad they aren't universal, because now I have two extra left covers. $20/pop is expensive for plastic covers, but if it saves me from wearing out another $54 set of cleats maybe it's worth it.

Anyone have an extra right-foot walkable cover?
I lost a couple of covers before I realized I wasn't getting all four corners completely ticked under the cleat edges. Once I corrected that, the covers stay on. I picked up a couple of extra sets on sale for $10/pr a year or so ago, so I can keep a spare handy.

I do have to be careful about not walking too much in deep/sharp gravel (i.e. in parking lots). If you step on a piece of gravel just wrong, it can cut the thinner part of the cover. So try not to do that.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-14-17, 05:11 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have used the Keep On covers and the walkable cleats. Due to the rounding, the walkable cleats are more comfortable to walk on, though like most, I walk short distances. The Keep Ons are not exactly easy to walk on but do also protect the cleats. For me, it is the walkable cleats all the way.