Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedal came off during my ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedal came off during my ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 05:04 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Always a good idea to visually inspect the bike yourself. Pedals not threaded all the way in would be easy to spot. Lots of problems are easy to spot by simply riding around the block and then returning to the shop to have anything fixed and avoid a second trip.
To this point, I had noticed an occasional "tick" or creak with the pedal that eventually fell off. I shrugged it off as just an idiosyncrasy but in retrospect, that should have been a warning to me.
Old 10-20-23, 10:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
yesterday, Oct 16. LBS guy said he didn't tighten it enough during assembly. Does this happen very often?
A pedal should never - repeat, never - come off for that reason, especially since it is easy to install it correctly, easy to the point that even a boneheaded ham-fisted amateur first-timer can figure it out. Rocket science it ain't.

If the mechanic did indeed fail to tighten the pedal down correctly, the only possible reason I can think of is if he threaded it in part way, was interrupted by a phone call or something, and forgot to finish installing the pedal when he came back. In that case, I would expect noticeable damage to the pedal threads, the crank threads or both such that one or both are no longer useable.
Old 10-21-23, 03:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
This pedal must have been very loose to start with. Not even nipped up against the crank arm face.

Along with other shoddy work reported it’s time for a new shop/mechanic.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-21-23, 10:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A pedal should never - repeat, never - come off for that reason, especially since it is easy to install it correctly, easy to the point that even a boneheaded ham-fisted amateur first-timer can figure it out. Rocket science it ain't.
As noted above, I did it once. And it was hardly my first time installing pedals. (Among other things, I had previously boxed and reassembled bikes for unsupported tours.) Who knows? Maybe I got distracted by something, focused by attention elsewhere, and forgot to properly finish the task. Maybe you’re perfect, but I think it’s not above the rest of us to make obvious mistakes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-21-23, 11:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eljayski
The bike shop guy was completely swamped with work--his single employee had just quit when I brought the bike in for assembly--so it's evident to me the guy didn't act with due care. On an earlier ride, the rear wheel slipped out of the drop and rubbed on the frame. Also, derailleur adjustments were not done right (2nd opinion from another LBS). Don't think this guy will see much of me going forward.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As noted above, I did it once. And it was hardly my first time installing pedals. (Among other things, I had previously boxed and reassembled bikes for unsupported tours.) Who knows? Maybe I got distracted by something, focused by attention elsewhere, and forgot to properly finish the task. Maybe you’re perfect, but I think it’s not above the rest of us to make obvious mistakes.
It sounds like the mechanic was making lots of mistakes. I had one shop mechanic make the following mistakes on my full suspension mtb in a single service:-

1. Re-fitted the rear shock upside down so that the air valve was pressed right up against the frame.
2. Cut the dropper post cable too short, making it impossible to latch the post in the high setting.
3. Left all the downtube cable guides loose.
4. Left the drive side crank loose.

The bike basically fell apart on the next ride! Never been back to that shop since.
Old 10-22-23, 01:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It sounds like the mechanic was making lots of mistakes. I had one shop mechanic make the following mistakes on my full suspension mtb in a single service:-

1. Re-fitted the rear shock upside down so that the air valve was pressed right up against the frame.
2. Cut the dropper post cable too short, making it impossible to latch the post in the high setting.
3. Left all the downtube cable guides loose.
4. Left the drive side crank loose.

The bike basically fell apart on the next ride! Never been back to that shop since.
Sounds like either a new employee or incompetent. I would have returned to the shop and had a word with the manager to discover which employee had done the work, have him retrain/monitor their work and have a discussion about potential liability. Some one else could have been injured if management is not notified. Besides, you may have gotten a free something out of it as an apology.

Old 10-22-23, 11:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I had this happen on a low-cost bike I bought in Cambridge, UK. I rode it out of the bike shop after purchase and almost immediately one of the pedals came off, and it was like getting a nasty kick in the nuts. I took it back as soon as I could walk again, and made them fix it.

I still don't really grasp how it happened.

On my own normal bikes, I put the pedals on finger-tight, because I don't like having to hammer on them to get them off again. I have never had one come loose.
Old 10-23-23, 04:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob
Sounds like either a new employee or incompetent. I would have returned to the shop and had a word with the manager to discover which employee had done the work, have him retrain/monitor their work and have a discussion about potential liability. Some one else could have been injured if management is not notified. Besides, you may have gotten a free something out of it as an apology.
I was very busy at the time (which is the main reason I didn’t service the bike myself). I did make them fit another dropper post cable as I happened to notice the problem when I picked up the bike from the shop. But the other stupid errors only became apparent when I rode it a few days later. Fortunately no damage was done so I just decided to move on and never use this shop again. This was about 5 years ago. I usually do my own bike maintenance and this experience reminded me why I should.
Old 10-28-23, 09:02 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Hmm

I've ever had a pedal come loose let alone fall off. Then again I'd notice a loose pedal instantly.

On that note, I only snug my pedals. There is no need for them to be tight.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-28-23, 09:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I tighten my pedals. There’s no good reason not to.
Old 10-28-23, 04:16 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
I've never had a pedal fall off, that I can recall.
Old 10-29-23, 06:53 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Pedals should be tight, but I hope people don't go crazy and over tighten pedals. That's not good either.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html