Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 05:34 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by iab

I had a crossing guard yell at me for weeks for “blowing through” a stop sign on my commute. One day, I stopped and bet them $100 to them shutting the **** up that the next 10 cars would roll that stop sign, not come to a complete start. The person had no answer when I asked, do you yell at them when they “blow through” the stop sign? Needless to say, they shut the **** up.
I had a cop pull me over for blowing through a stop on my bike. I was pissed, and gave him the same line you did, as car after car went through without coming to a complete stop. He didn't think it was funny. I got a $480.00 ticket. Only moving violation in my life was on a darn bicycle.
Old 11-16-23, 05:36 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You reposted seven pictures just for that??
Well, speaking for myself, I enjoyed them more the second go around.
Old 11-16-23, 06:54 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
He didn't think it was funny.
On trend.
Old 11-16-23, 07:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I had a cop pull me over for blowing through a stop on my bike. I was pissed, and gave him the same line you did, as car after car went through without coming to a complete stop. He didn't think it was funny. I got a $480.00 ticket. Only moving violation in my life was on a darn bicycle.
Looks like to was Campus police....I have heard stories about them cracking down on cyclists do to accidents. Which can believe as my wife went to UCSB a while back....and is simply a menace on a bike do to having the attention span of gnat (which she fully admits to )

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-16-23, 08:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Are any of them actually funny or is it all base level ridicule?
I laughed at every one in the link

Last edited by Camilo; 11-18-23 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-16-23, 10:14 PM
retroman57 

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
British moleskin plus-twos for me. Calvinists don't cotton to exhibitionists. Feel the same way about un self-aware women who wear skin-tights to the grocery store.
There- I said it! I'm an intolerant bigot. Don't bother roasting me- I'd don't care.
Old 11-16-23, 10:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray to God they let this thread die.
Don't start a bad thread and it won't turn out bad.
Old 11-17-23, 03:30 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I'm guessing this is in a school zone. So, you're saying it's perfectly ok for you to create a potentially dangerous situation just because others do it? Why do you blow through the stop sign? Maybe, because you don't want to slow down for a few seconds.
First, you need to read up on an Idaho stop. Second you need to read up on physics to learn the difference between a 4000 pound vehicle traveling 5mph vs a 200 pound vehicle traveling at 10mph. Third, you really need to see the point that the vitriol was pointed at the cyclist and not the drivers. derp.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-17-23, 03:32 AM
iab

Likely because you ride a bike, the most dangerous and arrogant weapon on earth.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-17-23, 03:37 AM
iab

Right. Just as I suspected. Pastis never wrote "Lance doped, all cyclists dope!!!!!!! ."
You do realize that his portrayal of Jef is an amalgamation of all cyclists? Right? Just like Dilbert's pointy-haired boss does the same to managers. derp.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-17-23, 03:55 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
First, you need to read up on an Idaho stop. Second you need to read up on physics to learn the difference between a 4000 pound vehicle traveling 5mph vs a 200 pound vehicle traveling at 10mph. Third, you really need to see the point that the vitriol was pointed at the cyclist and not the drivers. derp.
I swore I wasn't going to post in this thread again. But your "derp" comment changed my mind.
Idaho stop--not legal in Illinois.
As far as your physics theory :"Gee, Your Honor, I only shot him with a .22. It's not like I used a .45."
Here's my crossing guard story: Since moving, I take a different route on the bike. At a T-intersection, I ride up the base and need to turn left at a light in front of a school. The first few times there, the guard would hold up her hand to stop me when there were people in the crosswalk. I would nod at her to show her I'm aware and go into a "track stand". Once the crosswalk is clear, she would wave me on. After a few times, she knew I would stop and wait. So, she doesn't signal me to stop anymore. Now, if I have the light against me when she sees me approaching, she would check the traffic for me and wave me through the light if it's clear. Now, who shows cyclists in a better light? Me or the guy who uses foul language and yells at the crossing guard?

All this reminds me of an old joke:
A cop pulls over a motorist.
Cop: "License and registration."
Driver: "What did I do?"
Cop: "You didn't make a full stop at the stop sign."
Driver: "But, I slowed down."
Cop: "But, you didn't stop."
Driver: "I slowed down."
Cop: "Step out of the vehicle, sir."
The cop then proceeds to hit the guy with his night stick.
Driver: "STOP!"
Cop: "How about I just slow down."

Last edited by gearbasher; 11-17-23 at 05:17 AM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-17-23, 04:44 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If there were a suitable counterpoint to AtlasShrugged, but with some humor, the two could do a whole Troll vs Troll strip, ŕ la ...

I'm of the camp that doesn't think the original subject comics are that good. Not because my feelers are hurt by the cyclist stereotype fodder, I'm just not a fan of Pearls Before Swine. Now the Spy Vs. Spy stuff on the other hand, while often not especially as funny as the rest of MAD Magazine, was always entertaining. Plus it is C&V.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-17-23, 06:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm of the camp that doesn't think the original subject comics are that good. Not because my feelers are hurt by the cyclist stereotype fodder, I'm just not a fan of Pearls Before Swine.
Nothing wrong with not being a fan. I suspect Crankshaft or Pickles would resonate better with this crowd anyway.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-17-23, 11:31 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Holy hell. With the way students on beach cruisers roll through every stop sign in Isla Vista, you'd wonder if this was just someone trying to make a quota.

Me, I would have shown up to court to. If the cop is a no-show, the violation is thrown out.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 11-17-23, 11:35 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What do you think a close pass is?

At the very least, it's an attempt to intimidate with the threat of death. It's making a statement - "I can kill you with a slight turn of my steering wheel". And it happens, too - some clown in a diesel pickup tried to coal roll some cyclists and ended up running them down.
I would wager that 99% of all close passes are simply a driver with more tolerance for close passes than the cyclist. It isn't necessary to assume your fellow road users are homicidal or have specific intentions. It is far simpler and more accurate to assume they simply aren't as safe or courteous as we'd like. Keep n mind that they also pass other cars, telephone poles, trees, road signs etc pretty close.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-17-23, 12:03 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by bbbean
It is far simpler and more accurate to assume they simply aren't as safe or courteous as we'd like.
Isn't it simpler to assume that a cartoon made them do it?

I mean, that's why I dropped a grand piano on my neighbor's head.
Old 11-17-23, 01:01 PM
AirborneFolder

Bikes: Cinelli, Moser, Davidson, Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Nothing wrong with not being a fan. I suspect Crankshaft or Pickles would resonate better with this crowd anyway.
You're giving too much credit. I suspect that some of these people find Cathy to be the perfect newspaper funny.
Likes For AirborneFolder:
Old 11-17-23, 01:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I would wager that 99% of all close passes are simply a driver with more tolerance for close passes than the cyclist. It isn't necessary to assume your fellow road users are homicidal or have specific intentions. It is far simpler and more accurate to assume they simply aren't as safe or courteous as we'd like. Keep n mind that they also pass other cars, telephone poles, trees, road signs etc pretty close.
Gee, thanks! In decades of riding and driving on the roads that would never have occurred to me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-17-23, 01:54 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by genejockey
Gee, thanks! In decades of riding and driving on the roads that would never have occurred to me.
It was apparently news to the person I was responding to, and to the people who regularly complain that drivers are trying to kill them.

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-17-23, 02:26 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by AirborneFolder
You're giving too much credit. I suspect that some of these people find Cathy to be the perfect newspaper funny.
I was more referring to the octogenarian characters in these two strips as perhaps being more relatable to certain members of this Forum.
Old 11-17-23, 02:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
It was apparently news to the person I was responding to, and to the people who regularly complain that drivers are trying to kill them.
Oh, no, they're not trying to kill us. They're letting us know they could at any time, with a flick of the wheel. If you don't know the difference between someone who doesn't leave enough room, and someone who intentionally comes EVEN CLOSER, well, I can't help you.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-23, 02:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray to God they let this thread die.
You started a thread with the idea of maybe 20 or so posts of light banter, and you got the biggest C&V Rorschach test since Grant Petersen. As good as it it gets in terms of illustrating the law of unintended consequences.

Speaking of Grant Petersen: I saw him at Rivendell once and told him that the on-line community seems to be pretty evenly split between "Grant Petersen is a genius" and "Grant Petersen is a moron." He said "I'm pretty sure I'm neither." Made my day.
Old 11-17-23, 03:09 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Try to avoid the stereotype. You didn't directly target me and I don't regularly complain but when one experiences 'close to lights out' things in life, one doesnt easily forget. Its also good to speak up about it.

In a matter that I experienced, the driver was homicidal. An elder man. His wife was in the passenger seat, believing she was above the law because she's a voted in trustee of the town including the gated community I reside in. She also is goody gf of a local woman police officer. Of which I spoke to all of them. The LEO was courteous but pretty much shrugged it off. The woman trustee words "do you know who I am?" During her exchange of words, police as witness, the driver just gleefully glared and smiled.... never stating a single word.

Anyways, just three weeks after his intentionally driving me off the road incident, this nut case died of cancer.

(Side note: I also learned this maniac once got into a major physical altercation with a next door neighbor.... during a morning coffee with fellow neighbors. Being the wife has political influence, she had that incident quickly buried.)

So laugh at all the sick dark humor and agree as you wish.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 11-17-23, 03:58 PM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Try to avoid the stereotype. .
That was the argument I was making.

Sorry you ran into a jerk. I had a bad experience with someone once, but I opt to focus on the tens of thousands of positive experiences I've had rather than the exception to the rule. A sense of proportion and an understanding of math helps.

Old 11-18-23, 06:40 AM
AirborneFolder

Bikes: Cinelli, Moser, Davidson, Colnago

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I was more referring to the octogenarian characters in these two strips as perhaps being more relatable to certain members of this Forum.
I get it. But those strips are occasionally funny. Cathy is for old people and not funny, not once. Ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.