Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp vs Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 105 Disc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 07:44 PM
palmgreens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking of going with one of these two bikes. Both have disc brakes and Roubaix has a mix 105/Ultegra groupset. Any input on preferences between the two would be appreciated. Since I am spending this on a bike I wanted to keep for awhile...is one brand better/more popular than the other? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-08-16, 08:12 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by palmgreens
Thinking of going with one of these two bikes. Both have disc brakes and Roubaix has a mix 105/Ultegra groupset. Any input on preferences between the two would be appreciated. Since I am spending this on a bike I wanted to keep for awhile...is one brand better/more popular than the other? Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Test ride them, and see which one you like the best. The brands themselves are comparable. The difference will come down to what you like better.

Then buy the synapse anyways, because that's what someone on the internet told you to do.
Likes For jtaylor996:
Old 05-08-16, 09:47 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, test road the same model Synapse a few months ago. Had the worst breaks I have ever ridden on. HORRID. Barely would slow you down at all. Im sure they need bedded in, but those things needed to go to recyling before they left the factory. Was a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-08-16, 10:51 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
FWIW, test road the same model Synapse a few months ago. Had the worst breaks I have ever ridden on. HORRID. Barely would slow you down at all. Im sure they need bedded in, but those things needed to go to recyling before they left the factory. Was a deal breaker for me.
Did you test ride the one OP is looking at with the Shimano hydraulic discs? I have those brakes on one of my bikes and they have been great since the first ride. I have no problems stopping with 1 finger when descending at 40 mph
Old 05-08-16, 11:52 PM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
Did you test ride the one OP is looking at with the Shimano hydraulic discs? I have those brakes on one of my bikes and they have been great since the first ride. I have no problems stopping with 1 finger when descending at 40 mph
Shimano hydraulics are well known as outstanding stoppers.

Having said that, my no name "axis 1.0" brakes have outstanding stopping power also. I had to set the pads very close to the rims, but with this adjustment, I could not ask for more braking power.

I was going 35 mph downhill on a recent ride, and saw a car on the side of the road that I thought might be pulling out. I was prepared to grip hard since this is what I had to do with my pads set relatively far from the rims previously. This time, I had to release the brakes instantly after giving a slight squeeze. Braking power was very powerful, and I got all the power I needed just feathering the levers.

Unless you ride a lot in the wet, properly adjusted dual pivots should provide excellent stopping power. And this is with stock pads, not fancy schmancy upgraded pads.
Old 05-09-16, 04:19 AM
Maconi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I preferred the Roubaix over the Synapse after riding them both. The Roubaix does a much better job at dampening road vibrations on the front-end (you can feel it in your hands). Another plus is the Roubaix has much less branding plastered all over it.
Old 05-09-16, 06:29 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Honestly, probable not. Been too long ago for me to be sure. Plus I missed that the OP was asking about the carbon version. I'm sure I was on Al, that they had gotten before the 2016's were officially available and on Cannondales website, so not the exact same bike. So spec of brakes is certainly a consideration. I just was floored that they would put such ridiculously awful brakes on any one of their bikes to begin with, especially when most Cannondales I have looked at have had a significant price premium. If they (Dorel that now owns Cannondale), will do that kind of cost cutting on such a central, and most obvious component, it doesn't give me confidence in the rest of the Cannondale brand bikes. I personally don't think I will be much considering them for future purchases. JMHO
Old 05-09-16, 07:03 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Test ride them. I ended up with the Roubaix, but saved some money getting the caliper brakes I wanted anyway...which was a bonus. I would have gladly paid extra to not have disc.