Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Novice Installing Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 10:21 AM
SB739

Bikes: Norco Indie 4 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys, my box store but not too bad bike is a year old. The frame works for me so I'm willing to keep it.

A thick, black sludge has covered all the drivetrain and chain. I know it can be cleaned, but it'll need taken apart to component level to do that well.

I'm prepared to start anew. Buying a new rear derailleur, chain, might remove the front derailleur completely and go for a simple array of gears. OR, buy an internal gear wheel hub. Not sure of the ins and outs other than less actual gears.

I'm a novice but have access to a relatives garage of tools which is going to have all but the most specific bike tools. eBay will suffice For anything else.

Where's a good place for easy to understand guides?

How do i choose suitable parts for my bike? It's a 700c wheel size I can provide other details.

The parts that came off the bike were Shimano Tourney real basic stuff and was fine so I don't need the very finest in parts just decent mass produced stuff.

Really looking forward to reading your suggestions and stuff
Old 04-16-17, 03:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Unless you have a LBS and a reasonable relationship with then the interweb is the easiest source for info and parts. Of course after trying to learn as much as you can by viewing vids and reading web sites you still are the one making that financial choice in buying the parts, hope you did your homework well as a returned part will end up costing close to what the LBS might have charged for the likely correct one in the first place.

But I have a different tact to suggest. Do go through the effort to clean up your existing drivetrain. This will be a valid learning experience. How things inter relate to each other. What tools are used. How reassembly and initial adjustments are done then the second series of final tweaks work. This learning experience will get you a clean and working bike with almost no outlay other then time.

You want to bake a soufflé, you are hungry and have pancake batter. Just make the darn pancakes, then plan that soufflé. Andy.
Old 04-16-17, 05:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Just because your current drivetrain parts are dirty is no reason to discard them. Bicycle maintenance is largely about keeping things cleaned up and properly lubricated. In the 45 years I have been cycling, if I had changed components on my bike every time they were dirty I would not have been able to afford to retire
Old 04-16-17, 05:17 PM
SB739

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys you're right.

I need to strip the parts to clean them. And then figure out how to re assemble and grease them.

If I Google the derailleur model will I find Shimano fitting instructions?

The jockey wheel bracket seems bent though, it's throwing the tail of the derailleur into the spokes sadly. Reassembly should fix it, but where to look
Old 04-16-17, 05:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by SB739
I Google the derailleur model will I find Shimano fitting instructions?

The jockey wheel bracket seems bent though, it's throwing the tail of the derailleur into the spokes sadly. Reassembly should fix it, but where to look
If the derailleur pulleys seem to be visibly bent towards the spokes, reassembly will not correct the problem. Since you didn't provide the make and model of the bike it isn't possible to know what sort of derailleur hanger it has. It sounds as if whatever type of hanger you have has been bent and it will have to be straightened to fix the problem. Fixing this problem will need: A new derailleur, a new derailleur hanger, or being straightened using a specific tool. The actual bike you have is important to know in order to figure out what should be done
Old 04-16-17, 05:34 PM
SB739

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If the derailleur pulleys seem to be visibly bent towards the spokes, reassembly will not correct the problem. Since you didn't provide the make and model of the bike it isn't possible to know what sort of derailleur hanger it has. It sounds as if whatever type of hanger you have has been bent and it will have to be straightened to fix the problem. Fixing this problem will need: A new derailleur, a new derailleur hanger, or being straightened using a specific tool. The actual bike you have is important to know in order to figure out what should be done
Hi there, it's a cheap Raleigh. Not a true well designed bike. But good lightweight frame for me to be honest.

Raleigh Edale Mens Hybrid Bike

Shimano Tourney I believe. Cheap group set. Will need to look closely at the parts for more info than that.
Old 04-16-17, 10:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Hi there, it's a cheap Raleigh. Not a true well designed bike. But good lightweight frame for me to be honest.

Raleigh Edale Mens Hybrid Bike

Shimano Tourney I believe. Cheap group set. Will need to look closely at the parts for more info than that.
Shimano Tourney is cheap and heavy, but it works. You are better off cleaning everything thoroughly and then learning how to repair things before simply replacing parts. In particular, derailleur alignment might or might not be something worth repairing before replacing:

Here's a good place to start:
Rear Derailleur Adjustment | Park Tool

The Park Tool site has many, many pages of repair instructions.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-17-17, 08:18 AM
SB739

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read through that guide. It helps a bit but still, I'm getting nowhere.

I think the routing of my chain is incorrect through the jockey wheels.

Reverse peddling is causing the chain to drop and snag through the derailleur.

I'm thinking the best way to fix it, rather than try to explain it, is to remove completely, clean parts, and act as if I'm setting up the entire thing for the first time with its adjustments?

Not sure if that's easier or not.

I'm beginning to think saving up for a new bike is the only option if I've screwed this one up completely. Shame too as I'm broke and it's the start of the perfect season for cycling. Wish I'd never attempted to clean it in the first place!
Old 04-17-17, 01:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you watch a video of a chain or derailleur install and can't get the chain routed properly, bike mechanics might not be your forte. Between the Park Tool website and you tube, you should be able to get instructions for just about any bike repair. There links to several other related guides, at the bottom of the derailleur adjustment guide.

You will need a chain tool to take links out to get the proper chain length, even if you chain has a quick link. Just remember that the quick link is the same as a pair of outer plates, so your chain will have a pair of inner links at both ends, to join properly. Many modern chains can not have links added if cut too short.

The Park tool website will suggest the big/big plus 1 inch method for setting chain length. That's OK, but not ideal, unless you're using the largest rear cog that your RD can handle.
Old 04-17-17, 01:41 PM
SB739

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again.

I spent 3 hours at the bike.

The chain is routed correctly. The bike can uninterruptedly pedal in all gear combinations.

Changing gear with the shifter does nothing until you are in the middle numbers and then it's completely unaligned with the click.

The shifter isn't indexed it seems like. And also, it wont let it go to the smallest rear cog, it's like the derailleur won't reach that far inward.

I've watched loads of videos showing the high and low screw. The tension cable etc and experimented around with them but this won't solve it somehow.
Old 04-17-17, 01:48 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Can you provide pictures? That might help us push you in the right direction.
Old 04-17-17, 01:53 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again.

I spent 3 hours at the bike.

The chain is routed correctly. The bike can uninterruptedly pedal in all gear combinations.

Changing gear with the shifter does nothing until you are in the middle numbers and then it's completely unaligned with the click.

The shifter isn't indexed it seems like. And also, it wont let it go to the smallest rear cog, it's like the derailleur won't reach that far inward.

I've watched loads of videos showing the high and low screw. The tension cable etc and experimented around with them but this won't solve it somehow.
The hanger is probably bent. Look at a video on how to re-align the RD hanger.
Old 04-17-17, 02:00 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Sheldon Brown pages are certainly some of the most useful on the internet. I suggest reading this one a few times: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

That webpage will probably explain the issue, and how to fix it, better than I can
Old 04-17-17, 02:53 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is a sign the shift cable is not adjusted right. Given your description it sounds as if you need slack taken out of the cable. Shifting to the highest number and loosening the cable at the deraillier and pull out the slack and tightening the cable holding nut should get you a lot closer.
Old 04-19-17, 01:36 PM
SB739

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The derailleur won't move in and out right because I've tried everything with the tension cable and only manually pulling or resetting it works. Sigh.
Old 04-19-17, 01:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
This is a sign the shift cable is not adjusted right. Given your description it sounds as if you need slack taken out of the cable. Shifting to the highest number and loosening the cable at the deraillier and pull out the slack and tightening the cable holding nut should get you a lot closer.
This sounds like the issue. Your first few clicks are pulling slack rather than moving the RD
Old 04-19-17, 04:36 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by jack002
I agree, this is at least the first thing to check before worrying about a bent hanger.

My method:

* by any means possible, shift the chain into the 2nd smallest cog (2nd highest gear)
* operate the shifter into the highest gear (without rotating the wheel/pedals, i.e. leaving the chain on the 2nd cog)
* disconnect the cable
* make sure the cable housing is fully in the stops at all possible locations
* grab the end of the cable with pliers and pull pretty taut, hold it
* with the other hand, tighten the derailleur pinch bolt

Without fail (for me), 'pretty taut' is 'not quite taut enough' because then when I spin the pedals, the derailleur still is able to take up a little bit of slack and the chain falls nicely onto the smallest cog, and it's pretty close to being well-aligned. Then:

* Downshift the shifter one click
* Operate the fine-tuning barrel adjuster until the derailleur is spooling the chain on to the 2nd cog, very well centered.