Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing Next Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 07:59 PM
impulsivegreg

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UPDATE: 05/07/2017

I ended up ordering a 2016 leftover Cannondale Synapse Disc 105!

I'm looking at purchasing a new bike, coming from a 2014 Specialized Allez Sport.

Open to suggestions, but a few things I had in mind:

- I want to stay around $1,500

- Endurance based, will not be racing

- Tiagra or 105, if it's worth the extra for the 105, please let me know, coming from Sora, anything above that will feel like a treat

- Carbon or Aluminum frame, this is probably my hardest decision, I would probably feel more comfortable with aluminum for longevity, but I have no experience with carbon frames (just some feedback from others)

- I want to purchase from a company that offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and preferably, fork as well

- Disc vs rim brakes, this wasn't really something available at my price range back in 2014, so I don't know if disc brakes are worth it at this price point of $1500

A few bikes I had in mind just briefly looking online:

- Cannondale Synapse Alloy Disc
- Trek Domane ALR 4
- Giant Defy Advanced 3
- Specialized Roubaix SL4

I would say out of those four, I'm leaning most towards the Trek but I would like to hear your opinions/feedback!

Last edited by impulsivegreg; 05-09-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-06-17, 08:47 PM
Xao

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode the Synapse, Domane and Roubaix. I've read incredible things about all of them across the board. The Roubaix that I test rode had the best looks and paint job in my opinion, however, hands down the Synapse to me felt SO much better handling and just riding comfort, even on a brick road here in the neighborhood.

They are all great bikes, and you really can't go wrong. I am a far thing from a roadie and you could call me a "newb", but I loved the ride and feel of the Synapse, so I had my LBS order a new Carbon 105 version in Black and Green for me. Should be here next week sometime.

I would suggest test riding each one and see what feels great for you, I'm sure lots of true roadies have different and better opinions than mine, but I'm getting mine to go for 20-30 mile rides a couple times a week before anyone in the house wakes up (I have four boys, 10 months, 4yo, 6yo, and a 15yo), so not a lot of time, but I wake up a couple hours before everyone else and just want to get in better shape and get a ride that will last me a good number of years.

Good luck in your decision, and again, you really can't go wrong with whatever you pick!
Old 05-06-17, 09:04 PM
IWK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not racing, carbon longevity is just as good, if not better than aluminum.
Old 05-06-17, 09:20 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Xao
I test rode the Synapse, Domane and Roubaix. I've read incredible things about all of them across the board. The Roubaix that I test rode had the best looks and paint job in my opinion, however, hands down the Synapse to me felt SO much better handling and just riding comfort, even on a brick road here in the neighborhood.

They are all great bikes, and you really can't go wrong. I am a far thing from a roadie and you could call me a "newb", but I loved the ride and feel of the Synapse, so I had my LBS order a new Carbon 105 version in Black and Green for me. Should be here next week sometime.

I would suggest test riding each one and see what feels great for you, I'm sure lots of true roadies have different and better opinions than mine, but I'm getting mine to go for 20-30 mile rides a couple times a week before anyone in the house wakes up (I have four boys, 10 months, 4yo, 6yo, and a 15yo), so not a lot of time, but I wake up a couple hours before everyone else and just want to get in better shape and get a ride that will last me a good number of years.

Good luck in your decision, and again, you really can't go wrong with whatever you pick!
I'm happy you said that. If I go through a bikestore...I think the synapse isnin the lead for me as well
Old 05-06-17, 09:51 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really sad that the 2017 Roubaix starts at $2600. Given what you ride now, you might find it feels like home, but more comfortable. Plus disc brakes!
Old 05-07-17, 09:35 PM
impulsivegreg

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came upon a really good deal I couldn't resist:

I ordered a new leftover 2016 Cannondale Synapse Disc 105! Sale price was $999.99