Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drop bar advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 12:06 PM
pastenseverb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop bar advice?

I got a Fuji Absolute 1.3 going into college a year ago for commuting, but have since gotten into cycling and joined a triathlon team. Now that the year is over, and I assume I'll be doing it again, I have been thinking about an upgrade, really only driven by my handlebars. The bike came with flat bars and I would really like to have drop bars as at the end of only 30 miles my wrists can occasionally hurt. By replacing my flat bars with drop bars I'm trying to make the commuter bike more of a road bike which is where my questions start.

Would I be better off selling my Fuji and buying a more typical road bike around the same price range (something like an Allez Elite)? I really enjoy my Fuji bike and I feel like just replacing the handlebars might do the trick but I'm not sure. If I were to replace the handlebars, I would love some recommendations on which drop bars to buy as well.

Thanks
Old 06-17-20, 12:21 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You'd have to replace the shifters as well so it will probably cost more than $100
Old 06-17-20, 12:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Sell it or keep it for commuting, and get the Allez.

Changing to drop bars means new shifters, stem, various compatibility problems and frame geometry issues.

If you get more interested in going fast, and others on the team have non jerry-rigged bikes, you would likely immediately get something better anyway.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-17-20, 12:24 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Well, it ain't that easy.

As well as the drop bar you have to put brake/shifters, totally redo the control cables and install handlebar take. There are all YouTube videos on how to do this but you have to make financial plans for it. The cables need some special tools and knowledge. So it would probably be best to let a shop do it. It is also likely that the stem will have to be replaced. Counting the bars, cables, tape and shop charges it may pay to get a real road bike so you might want to look on eBay or your local Craigslist. Very often you can get some terrific deals especially if you have a bike nut friend from your Tri group to help you through the process.
Old 06-17-20, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like figure 8 bend Trekking bars as my simple conversion from straight gto multi position bars, because I keep all the controls..
you may want a different stem... your option..

Old 06-17-20, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old 06-17-20, 03:23 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by pastenseverb
I got a Fuji Absolute 1.3 going into college a year ago for commuting, but have since gotten into cycling and joined a triathlon team. Now that the year is over, and I assume I'll be doing it again, I have been thinking about an upgrade, really only driven by my handlebars. The bike came with flat bars and I would really like to have drop bars as at the end of only 30 miles my wrists can occasionally hurt. By replacing my flat bars with drop bars I'm trying to make the commuter bike more of a road bike which is where my questions start.

Would I be better off selling my Fuji and buying a more typical road bike around the same price range (something like an Allez Elite)? I really enjoy my Fuji bike and I feel like just replacing the handlebars might do the trick but I'm not sure. If I were to replace the handlebars, I would love some recommendations on which drop bars to buy as well.

Thanks
in my experience you will really miss the absolute,

do you have room for 2 bikes? and on that note because your focus is tri team, keep the absolute and add a tri bike. Best of both worlds.

other wise selling it, and buying a road bike , if you can only have 1 bike is the best option.
Old 06-17-20, 04:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Switching to drop bars would require you to replace the bars, shifters, levers, cabling plus add bar tape and probably get a shorter stem. It’s gonna seem like a lot by the time you’re done if you don’t have all that stuff lurking in your parts bins.

If you want to keep that bike but eliminate the hand pain, alternate bars using your same levers and shifters would be an option that could help. Depending on which bars you pick, new cabling may be needed.

I did that with my 80s MTB by installing the cheap Sunlite version of the Nitto Albatross. Works much better for me than a straight bar, but obviously not the same as drop bars.

Otto
Old 06-17-20, 04:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I switched my hybrid from flat to riser and finally to Nitto albatross swept bars. That's the keeper. A good swept bar -- albatross, North Roads, etc. -- offers more hand positions while retaining the same brakes and shifters. No deep drops like road bars, but a good variety of hand positions. If I needed a more aero position I could flip my albatross bars. A friend has swept bars on both of his hybrids and he flips 'em, path racer style. Works for him, he's as fast as I am on a drop bar road bike.