Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

road double to triple crankset - things to consider

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 11:10 AM
ghostm42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I picked up a vintage chromoly frame. The previous owner rested the wheel-less frame on the floor, so the existing 52/40 crankset was bent out of shape. I have an existing 48/38/28 crankset I want to use on the bike, but what else would I need to change?

I've determined the existing Shimano double front derailleur won't work - it actually can shift to all three gears, but there is chain rubbing when I'm on the smallest front and rear gears because the chain is so low. I can't move the derailleur any lower or it won't clear all three gears when shifting. So I'm guessing I'll need a triple front derailleur.

But, I'm using the existing Shimano friction stem shifters. Will that have enough "pull" for a triple derailleur?

Are there other things to consider?
Old 05-31-10, 11:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
You will probably need a new bottom bracket to match the triple crank.

Your shifters should allow shifting to all three chainrings with either a double or triple front derailleur.

Your current front derailleur should work ok with the new crank. The problem you report with the chain hitting the tail off the derailleur is common in small-small but there is absolutely no reason to ever use those gears so the "problem" is easily solved by avoiding it.
Old 05-31-10, 11:30 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You will probably need a new bottom bracket to match the triple crank.

Your shifters should allow shifting to all three chainrings with either a double or triple front derailleur.

Your current front derailleur should work ok with the new crank. The problem you report with the chain hitting the tail off the derailleur is common in small-small but there is absolutely no reason to ever use those gears so the "problem" is easily solved by avoiding it.
+1. Small-small derailleur rub sometimes happens with triple-specific derailleurs. Not a real issue.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-31-10, 12:12 PM
ghostm42

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Very Interesting. So derailleur rub won't necessarily be solved with a triple derailleur. It's ones of those "you have to live with it" things. Hmm...

I hadn't considered changing the bottom bracket. The "chainline" measurement (center of tube to middle chain ring) is about 50mm, but I can still shift to the largest gear. Is a smaller chainline measurement meant to improve efficiency and reduce wear by having a relatively straight chain?
Old 05-31-10, 05:34 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by ghostm42
Thanks for the responses. Very Interesting. So derailleur rub won't necessarily be solved with a triple derailleur. It's ones of those "you have to live with it" things. Hmm...

I hadn't considered changing the bottom bracket. The "chainline" measurement (center of tube to middle chain ring) is about 50mm, but I can still shift to the largest gear. Is a smaller chainline measurement meant to improve efficiency and reduce wear by having a relatively straight chain?
Typically, the spindle for a triple crankset is longer than a double. Putting a triple crank on a double spindle results in the small chainring pushed into the chainstay if all else is equal. If it works now, don't argue with it.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-01-10, 07:25 AM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went through this recently with an '85 Cannondale SR300.

Initially I was using the original 6 sp. double derailer with a used Campy 9 sp. triple and 7 speed freewheel, with a long-cage rear derailer. It worked as long as I slightly over-shifted up off the granny then quickly brought it back slightly to the middle.

It only took accidentally shifting to the granny, then not being able to get off it on a medium hill once, to make me buy a triple derailer. I got an inexpensive Shimano Sora and have had no trouble with it.