Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

helmet mirrors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

helmet mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 01:18 PM
jscalia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helmet mirrors

I only recently got into the habit of using a helmet visor mounted mirror when riding. I have never done so in the past and have come to rely on it. The mirror is not something I see most "serious" road riders use, so I get a lot of strange looks from other road riders. I am considering dropping the mirror when using my road bike and only restricting its use when commuting or touring. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-02-12, 01:24 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
It really depends on your own values and how it gets affected by the people around you. Are you the type to succumb to peer pressure or have you got your own set of balls?
Old 04-02-12, 01:27 PM
Chris R.
Team ABC Cycles

Bikes: 2010 Colnago CX-1 and '12 S-Works Venge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you the type of person who can turn your neck regularly to check for cars/danger? (no sarcasm). I have never felt the need for a mirror of any sort but I am vigilant when riding on certain roads to check behind me often, just like in a car or on a motorcycle.
Some people don;t have the flexibility or may stray from their intended path when they turn around. In those cases a mirror may be a good idea.
Yes, they look a little silly but better than looking dead.
Old 04-02-12, 01:27 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
It really depends on your own values and how it gets affected by the people around you. Are you the type to succumb to peer pressure or have you got your own set of balls?
Well said.
Old 04-02-12, 01:28 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why would you even want to associate with people who pressure you over such a trivial matter?

If you like the mirror, then that should be all the decision that you need.
Old 04-02-12, 01:30 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Exactly! Now go clip that hockey card back onto the spokes.
Old 04-02-12, 01:32 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris R.
Are you the type of person who can turn your neck regularly to check for cars/danger? (no sarcasm). I have never felt the need for a mirror of any sort but I am vigilant when riding on certain roads to check behind me often, just like in a car or on a motorcycle.
Some people don;t have the flexibility or may stray from their intended path when they turn around. In those cases a mirror may be a good idea.
Yes, they look a little silly but better than looking dead.
agree. Its going to be a person thing. I don't have problems turning my head around to look, but I know if I had a mirror, I would be tempted to rely on that limited view instead of turning around when I should. Some people will feel more comfortable having the mirror. Either way, not having one because of how it looks is kind of dumb.
Old 04-02-12, 01:34 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very personal decision. I still can't figure out why road cyclists are generally so concerned about how they look to other roadies.

Here's a hidden mirror that fits inside your sunglasses but it doesn't get great reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Vie...394972&sr=8-32
Old 04-02-12, 01:37 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good plan. I support you 100%.
Old 04-02-12, 02:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Nothing screams "Fred!" louder than one of these.

That said, I have no problem with them and if it works for you that's fine.

I have the sprintech bar-end mirror which I think is fairly stealth but helpful at times, especially when there is noise from traffic and I can't rely on my ears.
Old 04-02-12, 02:06 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I a serious rider and would never go without my helmut mirror. I cannot turn my neck that great and it can throw me off balance jerking my head around. I love the little mirror an look out from rear with no issues it gives great coverage. Outside of the helmut I consider it the second most important item I need for a ride. More important than wheels, pedals, ect....... It does not slow me down and speeds me up because I have better information.
Old 04-02-12, 02:07 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't use one...but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends.
Old 04-02-12, 02:11 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I a serious rider and would never go without my helmut mirror. I cannot turn my neck that great and it can throw me off balance jerking my head around. I love the little mirror an look out from rear with no issues it gives great coverage. Outside of the helmut I consider it the second most important item I need for a ride. More important than wheels, pedals, ect....... It does not slow me down and speeds me up because I have better information.
You are not that serious.
Old 04-02-12, 04:15 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I tried one of those hidden mirrors about 12 years ago. It kind of works, but it really is dependent on how much sweep your glasses have. If they really wrap around your face, the little thing does not work all that well.

I use a Take A Look mirror. Very adjustable and sells for about $19. Clips onto your eye glasses. Some of the racer wanna-bes look at it with scorn. I have just moved to the Czech Republic and am learning new roads and a new culture. I wear it here and it really is so easy and simple to have that I forgot why I stopped using one some years ago. Well, actually I know why, I lived in rural western Massachusetts where there just are not many cars. Back in the late 1970s, I used one of the Ed's Mirrors eyeglass mounted devices. Also a real quality item.
Old 04-02-12, 04:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
You are not that serious.
I think he meant that he does not laugh nor smile whilst riding.
Old 04-02-12, 05:02 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally think they are dumb. I think if you have neck issues they can be useful. But I have noticed that when Im riding fast some guys with helmet mirrors dont even see me and are then startled when i fly by them.

Do what you feel though, dont let mean looks from MUP racers throw you off

WARNING: OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
Old 04-02-12, 05:11 PM
lhorn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since they are cheap, I'm gonna try one. My main concern is do they work well or are they fiddley and unreliable. I ride pretty far to the right (farther than most). I think that if I knew there was nothing behind me, I might be tempted to ride a bit more to the left. Might save ya a few flats per year. As far as the looks, I don't need a mirror to make me look like a Fred, my slowness and cheezy Nashbar jerseys take care of that. I"m not interested in "looking the part."
Old 04-02-12, 05:52 PM
flyingKing
searcher

Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite, Marin Point Reyes 09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have one, and I'm going to wait to get one until they come in carbon fiber and can asplode if I look at the mirror for long enough
Old 04-02-12, 05:58 PM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I got one last summer because I ride where there is alot of traffic sometimes and I got tired of cars sneaking up on me. I got this one
https://www.amazon.com/Cycleaware-Ref...3410630&sr=8-1 , I took the double back tape off and put velcro on it instead. Now all I have to do is glance up at it to see what is behind me. No more cars sneaking up on me either. I tried a mirror on my handle bar first but there was to much vibration so I went with this mirror and I am very pleased.
Old 04-02-12, 06:20 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I could see how folks use them to briefly check on their rear, but I tried 3 of them, and was dissatisfied with all of them.

For me:
- Was too distracting to look into that small mirror. Took away from my attention on the road, trying to focus on what was in that tiny area.
- Didn't trust it at all for 'all clear' for cars. On busier streets where you can't just rely on hearing since enough cars are coming in both ways, I ended up turning my head every time anyway since I did not trust the mirror.
- Look goofy. If there was a benefitf or me, I'd tolerate the goof, but wasn't worth it.

The only thing I found it marginally useful for was the trivial activity of keeping an eye if someone is trying to 'stealth' draft you, but even then, I could usually hear their drivetrain pretty soon anyway.

I know that a lot of touring guys swear by these things though - it may be more useful if you ride at a more mellow pace and perhaps move less on the bike, but I'm usually trying to hammer it, and between all the movement in various positions to maximize power on hills and flats, that mirror field of view is all over the place. It was definitely more of a hazard for me than a safety factor. YMMV.

( I was REALLY hoping they'd be an awesome improvement for safety, but alas, I was mistaken.)
Old 04-02-12, 06:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Look at the raging mirror thread in Advocacy and Safety for some entertainment value.

I don't use a mirror, have never in 40 years used a mirror and don't have any need for one.

I can understand why some people really like them and why they might actually be essential for some people. If that's you, why the heck would you take if off just because someone else doesn't approve? That would be silly.
Old 04-02-12, 06:24 PM
ibjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get this post.. or how it helps anything
Old 04-02-12, 06:29 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by escarpment
I personally think they are dumb. I think if you have neck issues they can be useful. But I have noticed that when Im riding fast some guys with helmet mirrors dont even see me and are then startled when i fly by them.

Do what you feel though, dont let mean looks from MUP racers throw you off

WARNING: OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
Do you at least slow down when you give those dumb mirror wearing freds mean looks as you speed by them on the MUP?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-02-12, 07:19 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better Fred than dead. I use a Take A Look mirror and will not ride without it. If I really cared how I looked, I would have picked a different past time than riding a bicycle. It you want to look cool, ride a Harley.
Old 04-02-12, 07:32 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a cat P,1,2 crit during the Wisconsin State Championship 2 years ago, there was one rider with a helmet mirror. No BS.
Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.