Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Had my first clipless ride today...

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:18 PM
Bikernator
Below Par

Bikes: '13 Trek Stache 8; '08 Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And I'm not gonna say that was my fastest ride, or best ride, but it was definitely top 3 in both catagories. It was nice to be able to concentrate on riding rather than keeping my feet on the platforms, which has turned into a real issue. The only spot I stalled on was more due to my embarrassing conditioning than anything else, on a fairly technical trail. So if you're straddling the fence on going clipless, my vote is clipless. Though this may change after my second clipless ride tomorrow.

Since I wasn't sure how I'd like them I went with the less pricey shoes and pedals. Specialized Sport shoes (which were actually the most comfortable shoes on my strangely shaped feet out of several that cost way more) and Shimano 520 pedals.

But I'm not gonna lie, my first bunnie hop almost saw my face go straight into the concrete...
Old 11-07-10, 03:38 PM
OC Noob Rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikernator
But I'm not gonna lie, my first bunnie hop almost saw my face go straight into the concrete...
Haha no worries, I had nearly the same experience. It's a different feel you have to get used to.
Sounds like you're having fun! Good luck
Old 11-07-10, 07:09 PM
Cobwebb67

Bikes: 07 Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using clip-in pedals for the last month or so. I can get out of them when I want to, however I can not get out of them when I need to. They are great through most of the trail but when it gets to a technical portion they make me wonder why I use the clip-in pedal and not the platform. They say I will get used to them. I hope I have enough skin on my shin and knees to learn how. I have loosened the tension, you may want to try the same. Did you race today at Mcmurty madness?
Old 11-07-10, 07:12 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate clipless they suck.
Old 11-07-10, 08:12 PM
Bikernator
Below Par

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was the second ride with clipless at Turkey Mountain. If you know the terrain, Cobwebb, you know the trail towards the north side just goes off into a spiderweb in all different directions. I took a wrong turn and wound up on some slow, long climbs full of loose rock. I had to unclip under duress at least 8 times today with no real issue. They are as loose as they go, and will stay like that until they unclip when I don't want them to.

Do you typically just ride McMurtry, seeing as you're in Perry? I don't recall ever having real issues with platforms at McMurtry, except maybe the northeast trail, which I only rode once because it kicked my ass so hard. But then again I'm a much better (or less terrible) rider now than then so I ride quite a bit harder.

No, I didn't go to the race. Actually I didn't even hear about it. How was it, how many people usually show up?Two reasons I probably wouldn't have: 1) My conditioning likely would put me somewhere behind any old ladies walking the trail. 2) I've yet to make it to Stillwater after graduating without getting blackout drunk and being completely hungover on Sundays. It's a gift.
Old 11-07-10, 08:58 PM
mattm0805

Bikes: Specialized hardrock Sport Disc. Specialized Allez Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say if I like or dont like clipless, I haven't tried them yet. But, I really love platforms with cages. Its best of both worlds. More focused power with pedaling, I'm sure its less than clipless, but definitely more than without cages. You get to wear the shoes you want and I like the freedom of adjusting my foot. Trying Clipless out is on the list for 2011 for me, so maybe my mind will be changed after my first ride...we'll see.
Old 11-07-10, 09:20 PM
Cobwebb67

Bikes: 07 Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride McMurtry. Never riden anywhere else, McMurtry has 4 trails which are all different and technical levels. I rode the NW (orange) trail today and yes it kicked my hind end. I found some carbohydrates this afternoon and it is all better. Platforms have not been an issue however I wanted a set of the clipless style. I enjoy them very much most of the time then there are times I need to get out to balance or set my feet down (quickly).

I did not ride the race to day. I am kind of like you, slow and out of shape. It would have cost $35 for a t-shirt. The race was on the SE (red).

Where is Turkey Creek? I have considered Roman Nose for a change of pace.
Old 11-07-10, 10:13 PM
Bikernator
Below Par

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked wearing the shoes I wanted, but it was getting to a point where I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals while barrelling through some rough sections. I never really thought of caged pedals, though.

Almost everyone I see out on the trails I ride (and whom are usually a bit faster) use the clipless, so I figured it may be something to consider. But there's a good chance that clipless are just better for these trails. For where I ride, they seem like they'll work really well.

I'm quite familiar with McMurtry, that's where I learned to ride and where I rode exclusively for a year. Turkey is in Tulsa, just south of I-44 off of 75. It took me several humbling rides to get used to it. It's very rocky and rough, not to mention a bit of a labrynth. Those are the only places I've ridden. I've been wanting to check out Keystone and I hear OKC has a couple really nice setups.
Old 11-07-10, 10:44 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I once had a troubles with my feet flying off the pedal - duct tape solved that problem. Thankfully there was no exorcism required. For the pedals I used enough tape so that i can pull-up to fake-bunny hop without worrying about "un-clipping" and eating it.
Old 11-07-10, 10:49 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Good luck with them shoes. I've been using mine for just over a month and am getting confident with them. But I do have some large bruises and a nagging knee cap. good luck on yours.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-08-10, 11:28 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm0805
Can't say if I like or dont like clipless, I haven't tried them yet. But, I really love platforms with cages. Its best of both worlds. More focused power with pedaling, I'm sure its less than clipless, but definitely more than without cages. You get to wear the shoes you want and I like the freedom of adjusting my foot. Trying Clipless out is on the list for 2011 for me, so maybe my mind will be changed after my first ride...we'll see.
More like the worst of both worlds.